Top Five Irritating Accents

Dee Man

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was that in Lerwick or out in the crofting townships or remoter islands? Even 30 or 40 years back, there was a big difference between the two and there were Lerwick folk that sounded like they were from the Scottish mainland and didn't use "du kaens" as a verbal full-stop and stuff like that.

Not realy, there was the odd few outside lerwick but even there it was realy only in places like whalsey unst and pockets of northmavine where youd ever find a kid or even a young adult speaking in dialect, lerwick or country, (i lived in brae) almost A' da young eens spoke yon knappin wye

Not sure things were so different a generation ago. Back in the 80s it seemed to revolve around whether you went to Anderson High or the local high school whether you spoke broad Shetland or not in later life. Burra and Whalsay would have been the hotbeds for it because there were fewer oil-industry related incomers there unlike Brae.

aye quite possibly true years ago to, but even older toonies still sound like shetlanders, ones in there teens and early 20s sound like andy murray, zero accent and dialect . of course a few individuals buck the trend but outside youre whalsa and burra theres next to f**k all.

Its a fecking shame to be ohnest cause it looks to be going the way of gaelic, go back to shetland in 40 years time and youl be lucky to hear anyonne not drawing their pensions speak it. i often asked people how such a thing like age can affect youre speach? no one realy knew for sure. some say it was the influx of oil workers. others say more exposure to tv and the internet , much cheaper travel to further affeild. some even suggest a decline in traditional crofting and fishing activities in favour of normal jobs ( shetland doesnt have a word for compressor. control valve computer ipad. etc etc)

Some people clutched at straws saying "oh but all the youngsters still know how to speak it" pish im afraid. much like all the southers irish kids who get gaelic forced on them all through school they know how to speak i, they can speak it. but they do not. end of.

My grandmother was from Dunrossness originally and I was there quite a bit in the 70s and 80s. Winding things back to irritating accents, when you could tell which township people were from by the way they looked and the way they spoke my vote would have been for Cunningsburgh in a Shetland context. Picture Cletus the slack-jawed yokel from The Simpsons with a tourie and a Shetland ganzie, basically.

East (broad) Fife - possibly the most jakey accent you'll ever hear

Uni accents - I thought this accent was specific to just Glasgow Uni, but that pretentious accent of "I'm better than you" can be heard at other unis. Aberdeen is pretty bad for it.

'Proper' Aberdeen - "fit like" may just be the most disgusting phrase I've ever heard

Somerset/Gloucester/Bristol - simply cannot take those people seriously.

Essex - can't stand those insufferable, pretentious, Grey Goose-drinking c***s on the tele.

Archived