Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do people think of his pledge to bring alcohol back to football games? Obvious populism but I agree with it.

I'm not much of a drinker personally, but I can't see any problem with introducing a similar system as the English leagues have. Times have moved on and I don't think it's been the cause of much agro in England. If people want to get drunk, they'll just do it before the games. It also opens up extra revenue streams for the clubs.

What do people think of his pledge to bring alcohol back to football games? Obvious populism but I agree with it.

At an old firm game? That's why there is still a ban, not Pars-Raith derbies.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/21/jim-murphy-criticised-lift-ban-alcohol-scottish-football-matches

A report published last month by the Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice Research highlighted the correlation between certain football matches and increased reports of domestic abuse.

At an old firm game? That's why there is still a ban, not Pars-Raith derbies.

Of course trouble never happened elsewhere in the 70s & 80s, Hibs certainly didn't have a reputation for hooliganism

That game was the straw that broke the camels back. Then again that was the days when you could pitch up early with a crate of beer and proceed to get pished.

Nothing remotely similar would happen today.

Who wants to pay a tenner for half a pint of piss anyway?

It's about having a choice, selling alcohol at sporting events isn't uncommon elsewhere. Just when it comes to Scotland and football

In these days of all day drinking, is it too much to ask to not drink for 2 hours?

This.

I won't take my kids to Hearts v Ugly Sisters games due to the hatred as things stand. Add alcohol to the mix and things will be worse.

If you can't go 2 hours without a pint you have a problem.

Then again Murphy is happy with the way things were - both tribes in the West killing each other but voting Labour.

Of course trouble never happened elsewhere in the 70s & 80s, Hibs certainly didn't have a reputation for hooliganism

That game was the straw that broke the camels back. Then again that was the days when you could pitch up early with a crate of beer and proceed to get pished.

Nothing remotely similar would happen today.

There's been problems since. Look, that's why there's a ban mate. It's shit, but the truth.

This.

I won't take my kids to Hearts v Ugly Sisters games due to the hatred as things stand. Add alcohol to the mix and things will be worse.

If you can't go 2 hours without a pint you have a problem.

Then again Murphy is happy with the way things were - both tribes in the West killing each other but voting Labour.

I meant Gers-Celtic, but a few other games too. They're hard to police.

There's been problems since. Look, that's why there's a ban mate. It's shit, but the truth.

Well I like to think things have moved on a lot since they days.

Football has never been safer or more welcoming towards women and families as it is right now.

If they did drop the ban, people won't be going to the stadium thinking its a chance to get hammered now.

Chances are, the ones who do want a drink probably won't have more than a few over the course of the game.

Things have moved on but I think it's best to leave the ban in place. I suspect things will regress otherwise.

Why?

Far too many people tar modern day football fans with things that happened 30/40 years ago

It's pretty depressing how obsessed with alcohol we are.

We can't have a good social night out with friends without alcohol.

We can't have a laugh without alcohol.

We can't chat up a girl or a boy without being tanked up.

At uni, young people can't do anything without arranging it around pub drinking.

We can't enjoy a sporting event now without getting pissed either apparently.

It's bloody depressing.

At some point we need to admit we have a serious problem with alcohol addiction.

The idea that this is reserved to the likes of Rab C Nesbitt is what has changed in the last 30-40 years.

As a nation we cannot handle our alcohol at all and this cuts across all social classes.

Taking a kid to a game is bad enough for bad language and aggression.

Adding alcohol to that mix will make attending games history for me.

BTW the argument that people will only get tanked up before coming is irrelevant.

Football should control what football can control.

161278.jpg

:thumsup2

Nothing to do with tarring fans with what happened 30/40 years ago. When does alcohol ever improve the situation in terms of keeping the peace. Personally I'd be concerned about taking a kid to some stadiums with behaviour and language I've seen. Also think clubs would be better off financially if they targeted families like some of the US sports do. Just my opinion

Nothing to do with tarring fans with what happened 30/40 years ago. When does alcohol ever improve the situation in terms of keeping the peace. Personally I'd be concerned about taking a kid to some stadiums with behaviour and language I've seen. Also think clubs would be better off financially if they targeted families like some of the US sports do. Just my opinion

So why is it ok for every other sporting event or festival to serve alcohol with children around but not football, which is probably better policed and stewarded than most other events in the country?

You can buy a beer in US stadiums!! even at college football games

That's the problem. Too much aggression. And you want to add in alcohol to that mix? Madness bud.

Yet it's not a problem for the rest of europe at the football to allow someone to have a pint during the game, keeping in mind we'll be talking about low alcohol beer served in a plastic tumbler which will be no doubt over priced.

Realistically, how many drinks would someone be able to drink over the course of a game?

Even in England you're allowed a beer concourse.

Archived