Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

Football fans are and will continue to be treated in a manner appropriate to the way they behave.

Sadly too many are behaving like out and out animals and that will always affect the majority.

I mean seriously, who on earth would scream abuse at a referee and expect to be treated like an adult?

It's laughable TBH.

Do you realise that even after the legislation there were plenty of reasonably well-attended games at junior grounds in Scotland where people could and did continue to bring in a kerry oot? Applying this legislation rigidly to the lower divisions of the old SFL was a complete joke given some of the crowds involved and the absence of significant aggro at most grounds. At the top tier level where there was a legitimate issue to be addressed in years gone by, it would be easy enough to police beer consumption in plastic cups nowadays given the police state levels of stewarding that are now in place. Not a fan of the Labour Party in a Scottish context but if Jim Murphy is pushing this it just goes to show how a broken clock can still give the right time twice a day.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oaksoft's "you obviously have a problem" patter isn't half as clever as he thinks it is.

If Scotland has a deep rooted alcohol dependency problem that requires it's sale to be restricted, then ban it altogether. Doubt I would bother getting a pint at the stadium but I'm yet to hear one good reason that a legal, popular and regulated product can't be sold by football clubs for two hours a fortnight.

Having a pint in the concourse will make no difference atall, as in England. The ones most likely to cause bother or be a problem will be in the pub until 2.45 anyway.

Exactly. Btw is it just premier league grounds that offer it or is more widespread?

He needs a life TBH.

Ah back again.

When are you going to pony up the evidence to support your absolutely insane claim the the majority of Scots graduates leave the country.

I can understand, as with your council tax debacle , that you wish this would go away and you could sidle away embarrassed, but no such luck...

Evidence please. Or you could of course admit you were talking unreconstructed w**k...?

Almost as much unreconstructed w**k as you are on the alcohol topic to be fair.

What an absolute disaster you are having here. Again.

When Enrico annoni is owning you... Time for an intervention.

That's just nonsense

Another one who seems to think we're still living in the 70s where fans could show up a few hours early on the terracing, with crates of beers, bottles of spirits etc... And get hammered over the course of the afternoon of we allowed alcohol back in view of the pitch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/scottish_premier/342928.stm

It follows the trouble at the recent Celtic versus Rangers league title decider which saw 113 arrests inside and outside of the stadium.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/early-kick-offs-and-extra-police-likely-1-593664

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/cops-call-for-old-firm-cup-tie-to-be-played-midweek-187985n.25808501

That's the problem mate. What's Murphy's solution here? He's not facing facts.

What relevance is that to allowing someone a beer at the game in view of the pitch? :huh:

You seen awfully desperate to put the entire blame on Celtic or Rangers fans.

I'm not blaming them. Police don't want the bother. Its that simple mate.

There isn't any bother. Whenever I'm at the football, the regular piss up artists are always pissed anyway. An outdated law that should be binned. I should be able to enjoy a pint at Somerset if I want to.

Of course you are, you've not shut up about it.

Is that your argument against it, The police don't want the bother. so tough.

Very good

Exactly. Btw is it just premier league grounds that offer it or is more widespread?

I've only followed Newcastle in the PL and Championship and alcohol has always been available. I'd usually only drink in pubs pre-game, but there have been one or two occasions when I've had a drink in the ground. The examples I can think of were Man Utd and Coventry where there were no away fan pubs near the ground. The police prefer it as it stops away fans trying to get into busy pubs dominated by home fans. Even then, you'd barely be able to have more than one or two drinks with the queues and the lack of time pre game.

No, that's why its there. Think Old Firm matches are fine? Like any derby?

I've been to many, never seen any trouble inside the stadium or surrounding it before or after the game. Why, because it's very well policed and stewarded these days.

The majority of the trouble is involved elsewhere in the city away.

Also, the police didn't bring in the ban (Strathclyde police didn't have such power) it was passed as law through Parliament

Remember, this isn't 1980 anymore, football and society is a very different place. I'd ever argue football isn't a working class sport anymore with the costs involved.

No, that's why its there. Think Old Firm matches are fine? Like any derby?

There is no denying that the Old Firm is a heated derby, however there are many of those around Europe where booze can be bought within the ground. The Old Firm is bad, but in terms of violence it utterly pales to many on the continent. See the past ten years of crowd troubles when PSG and Marseille play for example. I think because we experience the Old Firm first hand we tend to overstate it.

I've been to many, never seen any trouble inside the stadium or surrounding it before or after the game. Why, because it's very well policed and stewarded these days.

The majority of the trouble is involved elsewhere in the city away.

Also, the police didn't bring in the ban (Strathclyde police didn't have such power) it was passed as law through Parliament

Remember, this isn't 1980 anymore, football and society is a very different place. I'd ever argue football isn't a working class sport anymore with the costs involved.

Aye, it is well policed. Police might be wrong here. Would you overrule them?

There is no denying that the Old Firm is a heated derby, however there are many of those around Europe where booze can be bought within the ground. The Old Firm is bad, but in terms of violence it utterly pales to many on the continent. See the past ten years of crowd troubles when PSG and Marseille play for example. I think because we experience the Old Firm first hand we tend to overstate it.

Its sectarian. Some derbies are similar, but most don't have that.

Given that both sides of this argument have shown links to violence inside stadiums over recent years I don't see why anyone would want to add extra alcohol to that particular problem. I know of some people who would be well capable of pushing past their alcohol limit in 2 hours, especially if they started earlier. It was previously stated that there is higher police presence at football games so it is safer. Why do you think that is? Surely it's because there's more chance of trouble than say a at a concert. I'd rather we got rid of the sectarian and thuggish behaviour before adding more alcohol to the mix. I think there are other issues that are more pressing. However, don't see the point in debating further it has already gone full circle. Perhaps we should agree to disagree

Given that both sides of this argument have shown links to violence inside stadiums over recent years I don't see why anyone would want to add extra alcohol to that particular problem. I know of some people who would be well capable of pushing past their alcohol limit in 2 hours, especially if they started earlier. It was previously stated that there is higher police presence at football games so it is safer. Why do you think that is? Surely it's because there's more chance of trouble than say a at a concert. I'd rather we got rid of the sectarian and thuggish behaviour before adding more alcohol to the mix. I think there are other issues that are more pressing. However, don't see the point in debating further it has already gone full circle. Perhaps we should agree to disagree

Its a good debate. Murphy is being a rat. That's the problem here.

I've only followed Newcastle in the PL and Championship and alcohol has always been available. I'd usually only drink in pubs pre-game, but there have been one or two occasions when I've had a drink in the ground. The examples I can think of were Man Utd and Coventry where there were no away fan pubs near the ground. The police prefer it as it stops away fans trying to get into busy pubs dominated by home fans. Even then, you'd barely be able to have more than one or two drinks with the queues and the lack of time pre game.

Cheers and cheers to Coyote as well. So ultimately the people who are dead against it: is Scottish significantly worse than England? I wouldn't say we have more of a hooligan culture than down south that warrants a total ban up here.

Archived