Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't say it was ok or not. Having been to rugby matches and football matches there appears to be more aggression in football crowds from what I've seen. And from the players for that matter, hence why they don't mic the refs. As for the US, I wasn't commenting on their alcohol sales I was stating that they try to target families increase revenues. Aside from which am not sure their drinking culture is comparable. Again just my opinion am not claiming to be an expert

Do you think selling some beer would really cause any major problems? I think if you factor in the queuing, the price and the strength it would take some real commitment to get mangled. If stewards did their jobs and made sure don't already enter the ground wasted then I don't see why if someone wants to enjoy a drink can't just do that. Plenty of fans in Ibrox and Parkhead can already enjoy a range of drinks in the lounges.

Nothing has moved on.

Not a jot.

As a nation we are not only unable to handle alcohol like civilised people but we can't even admit we have a problem with it.

What HAS changed is that it's now affecting all social classes.

Ah.. You are back..

Had you figured enough time had passed that we might forget your hilarious claim that the majority of Scots graduates leave the country?

Unlucky there..

I can't see how a pint of watered down beer is going to suddenly turn civilised men into animals. The attitude towards football fans and their ability to handle drink reeks of classism.

Football's middle class. It's thirty quid a ticket, plus the merchandise.

Why?

Far too many people tar modern day football fans with things that happened 30/40 years ago

What a load of nonsense. Enough fans turn up to games pissed as it is and if you think that we have grown up and are more responsible with Alchohol, why don't you go to A & E and speak to some of those that have to deal with the consequences.

It's pretty depressing how obsessed with alcohol we are.

We can't have a good social night out with friends without alcohol.

We can't have a laugh without alcohol.

We can't chat up a girl or a boy without being tanked up.

At uni, young people can't do anything without arranging it around pub drinking.

We can't enjoy a sporting event now without getting pissed either apparently.

It's bloody depressing.

At some point we need to admit we have a serious problem with alcohol addiction.

The idea that this is reserved to the likes of Rab C Nesbitt is what has changed in the last 30-40 years.

As a nation we cannot handle our alcohol at all and this cuts across all social classes.

Taking a kid to a game is bad enough for bad language and aggression.

Adding alcohol to that mix will make attending games history for me.

BTW the argument that people will only get tanked up before coming is irrelevant.

Football should control what football can control.

Probably being a bit hypocritical as I like a drink as much as anybody and take one at just about every social event I attend.

But you're right, Scotland is obsessed with alcohol and much of the time not in a good way.

Everything revolves around alcohol and it's a culture that's become the norm. In fact if you don't take a drink you are looked upon as being weird.

We shouldn't be encouraging drinking, we should be trying to change our social and cultural attitudes towards drinking.

Just because we see people drinking with families at sporting events in other countries, we shouldn't necessarily take that as a good thing.

Erm, people already drink at sporting events in Scotland - just sporting events no sensible member of society gives a shit about, like rugby. Scotland has no greater problem with alcohol consumption than anywhere else in northern Europe.

Thanks for playing anyway.

Erm, people already drink at sporting events in Scotland - just sporting events no sensible member of society gives a shit about, like rugby. Scotland has no greater problem with alcohol consumption than anywhere else in northern Europe.

Thanks for playing anyway.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/Services/Alcohol

Try again - thanks for playing ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30382290

Swing and a miss. It must be of course gutting for Scotland's minority of Wee Free prohibitioners that they just don't get the shock headlines needed to keep their flagging "public health" bandwagon going. Probably praying for a high-profile drink driving accident to cover their fail, IMHO.

What a load of nonsense. Enough fans turn up to games pissed as it is and if you think that we have grown up and are more responsible with Alchohol, why don't you go to A & E and speak to some of those that have to deal with the consequences.

Don't give me that guilty trip shite.

If you truly believed that, you'll be campaigning to have alcohol banned. not just for supporters 2 hours during a game.

According to your own link alcohol consumption 17% higher in Scotland than England and Wales. Did you actually read it? Sorry to burst your bubble but I believe the rest of the UK is still in Europe. So yeah, we are worse

Last time I checked, the UK wasn't actually the rest of northern Europe. And Scottish alcohol consumption is clearly falling again,and has been broadly stable for an entire generation.

Devastating for embittered Wee Freers like yourself: try going to Poland or Lithuania for your next hand-wringing exercise.

Don't give me that guilty trip shite.

If you truly believed that, you'll be campaigning to have alcohol banned. not just for supporters 2 hours during a game.

I don't drink, don't encourage others to drink. For me that is enough. As for putting you on a guilt trip, if there isn't any problem with alchohol consumption then there wouldn't be anything to feel guilty about.

Last time I checked, the UK wasn't actually the rest of northern Europe. And Scottish alcohol consumption is clearly falling again,and has been broadly stable for an entire generation.

Devastating for embittered Wee Freers like yourself: try going to Poland or Lithuania for your next hand-wringing exercise.

Well if you had said the "rest of northern Europe" you would have a point. The wording you actually used was "anywhere else in Northern Europe" so unless you are changing your position on Scotland being a different country from England then you are failing miserably here.

Archived