Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

Okay, I'll pretend that last sentence never happened since it's just stereotypical bullshit.

I'd say that yes, if something happens for someone to lose their license, then they get it revoked. Just like what happens with pubs and clubs. It's not rocket science, is it?

Yep, lets pretend.

post-40809-0-24446600-1424360702_thumb.j

post-40809-0-36175200-1424360708_thumb.j

post-40809-0-07240900-1424360710_thumb.j

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if we did bring it back, would we be the only nation in the world to do so? If not how do the other nations, with bigger stadiums and more fans manage it.

Also due to there being no drink at football now then does does that mean matches are a utopia of calm?

As for pictures above, yes lets keep alcohol banned because eh, alcohol is already banned and leads to mass drinking in the street. Good yin.

Aye, loads of stuff there that'd see folk getting banned. Also a completely similar situation to many games around the country.

Keep trying though. You'll reach relevance at some point.

Tartan Army breaking the law, nothing to see here. Just being lads etc.etc.

Yeah, nobody is proposing that for inside the stadium.

Nice try though.

Nobody said it was being proposed, just responding to a post that stated that it was stereotyping.

I am not sure if this is supposed to be an argument for or against!

It doesn't bother me either way, you can usually drink as much as you want at the Highland League games I go to these days anyway. The difference in behaviour at top games is nothing to do with banning alcohol for the plebs, it's the security cameras, policing, banning orders and public attitudes that have made the change. I can't see any reason for not allowing it, but for the fact that Murphy is jumping on the bandwagon.

Apologist for what exactly ?

I seem to remember the Germans being full of praise for the exact same going ons as in those photos.

Each of the pictures shows an individual committing an offence.

I await evidence of the German's praising a Scotland supporter for a spot of indecent exposure.

Each of the pictures shows an individual committing an offence.

I await evidence of the German's praising a Scotland supporter for a spot of indecent exposure.

If you want to get your knickers in a twist over a guy pulling a moony then be my guest. The Germans praised them for the exact same thing. Taking over a square, getting pished and making a lot of noise, with no trouble at all. Europeans aren't as uptight as people over here.

Still refuse to believe that a large enough amount of supporters could seriously enter a ground and manage to queue up repeatedly and buy 4 quid pints and remain in the stadium without either being chucked out or realising that they're spending the entire game queuing for pints when they could drink for cheaper in a pub with football on the tele.

Quick question, Spartans are held up as an example as a fantastic community club.

Are you allowed a beer while watching them play?

You are, if you stay in the club house. Don't think you can take it pitch-side though.

Booze is also banned on football trains and on all trains after 9pm, Should these bans be lifted too?

Booze is also banned on football trains and on all trains after 9pm, Should these bans be lifted too?

Absolutely; although Scotfail has de facto admitted defeat on their 9pm ban since a couple of months after its introduction. Passengers ride a coach and horses through the measures every day and are entitled to do so: even the conductors, backed by their union, are wise enough not to take on the assigned role of bouncers as and when passengers are 'caught' consuming alcohol. It has utterly failed.

The only argument to keep it going is that effortlessly evading Scotfail's restriction is a pleasing but minor challenge towards the end of an evening.

What is however interesting is the contrast in public opinion towards banning alcohol on trains and at football matches. Originally Scotfail tried to prevent the carrying of any alcohol onto services after 9pm: this backfired, presumably the first time that Elspeth from Milngavie wasn't allowed to take her bottle of Chateauneuf du pape back to her suburban abode after an evening meal in the city. Now the policy is apparently to prevent the open carrying and consumption of alcohol, but given that they've conceded the right to carry drink in a plastic bag onto the train, it's no meaningful enforcement at all.

On the other hand, despite the majority of views in favour of relaxing the ban on alcohol in Scottish football grounds on this site (correctly, but unsurprisingly) and among the football clubs, this doesn't actually yield a broader support for the policy among the Scottish electorate. Murphy is trying to win votes on a minor issue in the broad scheme of things, which makes his party look crass and inconsistent on basic public health issues among the majority, non-football electorate. The issue should have been kept out of politics and Murphy should have steered clear: combining the two is an utter disaster for both.

Absolutely; although Scotfail has de facto admitted defeat on their 9pm ban since a couple of months after its introduction. Passengers ride a coach and horses through the measures every day and are entitled to do so: even the conductors, backed by their union, are wise enough not to take on the assigned role of bouncers as and when passengers are 'caught' consuming alcohol. It has utterly failed.

The only argument to keep it going is that effortlessly evading Scotfail's restriction is a pleasing but minor challenge towards the end of an evening.

Aye, probably. The point is though that alcohol is banned in many places where it's consumption has proved in the past to be problematic - football games, trains and town centres. For each situation you could argue that MOST people who go to football, use trains after 9pm or sit in town centres are not drunken trouble makers.

I agree that most fans could drink responsibly at games. However, it would probably also create some problems where there were none before. My main beef is with a desparate Murphy using this to gain a few votes - he himself seems confused as to what model we should follow and I haven't seen many ideas here to change my mind. Do we follow rugby - even though they're posh and we're proles according to Jim? Do we do as the English do? Or the Germans? Or do we tailor a Scottish solution bearing in mind we have our own problems here?

Lastly, given that most folk seem to agree that Scotland does have a problem with alcohol as a society and that regular warnings appear in our media about the effects of too much alcohol then what kind of message would it be to open up a new arena?

Archived