Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

Already answered this point, the ban wasn't brought in because of problems Scotland has with alcohol.

We play over 1500 games a season, Now tell me, in details what is the problem we have in football.

Nobody is suggesting we go back the ways of the 70s, so why keep mentioning it?

Some people just can't take alcohol, regardless if they are watching a game of football or not, again i'll ask, should we ban alcohol at all public and social events, including drinking at home?

No, They shouldn't.

I really hope you're not making a comparison between football fans with Child killers and paedophiles.

It might make my match day experience as a customer better if I can have a beer in my seat and not having to rush before hand in the pub.

How long a way does it have to go? I can't think of any events in Scotland such as going to football that are safer, chances are you're more than likely to encounter trouble in a pub, a club, at a gig, events etc...

Not everyone would want to go to a pub before hand, or even drink at home, hence why allowing the option to enjoy a few beers while in your seat

It's not just about what you want, it's about what the majority of the customers are wanting.

Ouch!

What are you on. Not gonna bother even reading that. Eyes too sore.

Last point - if you think that anyone outside hospitality at Parkhead or Ibrokes will be having a civilised social drink on your grey concourses anytime soon, you're very, very deluded. Or living in hope of a Ukip govt with Jeremy Clarkson in charge of law and order.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You lost all credibility with this statement. In fact you even go on to contradict yourself in the same post.

No I don't. If there's a nasty disease going round then you don't argue that what you have is a sneezing problem. Scotland's alcohol consumption is not so outrageously high per capita relative to other nations: it is nonetheless the case that due to surrounding social issues it catalyses more underlying problems than in other countries. But there's a certain class of people that would much rather ignore that.

If I were to be asked to name 100 things that I thought were important to Scottish society and Scotland's people in the run up to the General Election, the issue of the ability to have a drink at a football match would not be amongst them.

If I were to be asked to name 100 things that I thought were important to Scottish society and Scotland's people in the run up to the General Election, the issue of the ability to have a drink at a football match would not be amongst them.

That would be why this is a tangential issue on a football forum, rather than something people are on the streets fighting for (well, aside from Jim Murphy).

It's good to see Murphy making this a class issue, then attempting to distract the proles from actual meaningful policy with promises of alcohol.

Anyway, he was on the news last night. Playing FIFA with a small child. His "Jum likes fitba!" shtick shows no signs of running out of steam anytime soon.

It seems the only people who can't see it are football fans themselves.

Football attracts total arseholes, yes. So does pro wrestling. So do the happy hardcore events that, for reasons unknown, continue to happen on a regular basis in central Ayrshire.

Removing alcohol from total arseholes for two hours and twenty minutes every Saturday has a negligible effect on the social fabric of the country. If that weren't the case, then out much larger southern neighbour (which has an order of magnitude more total arseholes in it) would rip itself to pieces every weekend. Oddly enough that's stopped since the 70s even without banning alcohol.

Removing alcohol from total arseholes for two hours and twenty minutes every Saturday has a negligible effect on the social fabric of the country.

But removing it and making them less of a staggering aggressive arsehole for a few hours means the rest of us, who are there first and foremost to watch

a sports event, can do so a little easier. Many people, especially those with young kids, buy season tickets only to be are stuck beside some raging clown every week

without making him a drunk raging clown.

^^^ Desperately scrambling for relevance.

I don't vote labour, I just want a beer at games. I reckon more people are against this policy, not because they don't want a beer, but simply because it's being backed by Murphy.

Why's that then?

I like beer while I watch football

I'm not drunk enough to go on a rampage at the football and need this to allow me to beat up as many fans, stewards and police as possible.

Honestly, is it that hard to comprehend that someone might actually just want a drink while they watch a game?

You don't get a beer. You get watered down reek water at a premium. I believe some people want this policy, not because they're actually bothered about it or consider it to be a major issue, but simply because the SNP are against it.

Anyone who can't form their own opinion on the matter and bases it on the political party they follow is a raging simpleton to use a P&Bism.

Who wants alcohol at games anyway? All you get is over priced, watered down pish water. The only people promoting this idea are the few labour hangerons that are left in Scotland, desperately scrambling for relevance.

So the SFA are Labour hangerons? Very good.

I think you'll find it is the SNP fanboys who are the ones shouting loudest against lift the ban, simply because Jim Murphy is for it.

Don't try and kid yourself otherwise

You can get booze in the theatre: Does this mean we must be offered booze at the cinema ?

Personally, I would like the government to tax alcohol (at lower rates) - regardless of where you buy it. If this meant a bottle of beer in the supermarket went up to £2, and the price of a pint fell to £2.50 then fine by me.

Archived