Support for 2nd independence referendum

Colkitto

What fuckin difference does it make? youre nit picking over pishy details. this thread is about support for another referendum. we are talking about how that would be a disaster for the independance movement if it were held so soon. becuase of the edinburgh agreement to respect the result, becuase the yes camp and snp said once in a generation and most importantly becuase we will lose. who ohnestly cares if they specificaly did not rule out another referendum for x number of years in writting.

stop being pedantic you fuckin nugget

bah humbug!!! :-)

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What perhaps is interesting is that before the referendum the clear position of 'everyone' was that we all accept the result and move on regardless. That is what the 'once in a generation/lifetime' means.

If we go again then clearly the yes side will struggle to say that again as clearly they never let the indy movement rest for a second. So therefore there is nothing to stop the no side fighting against the a future potential small margin yes

What perhaps is interesting is that before the referendum the clear position of 'everyone' was that we all accept the result and move on regardless. That is what the 'once in a generation/lifetime' means.

If we go again then clearly the yes side will struggle to say that again as clearly they never let the indy movement rest for a second. So therefore there is nothing to stop the no side fighting against the a future potential small margin yes

A movement that size wont simply go away. but they have to move on for the time being. continue to fight scotlands corner, campaign for more powers and after a good number of years then they can raise the indy question again.

Yes I do have proof. Its called the white paper - so lets stop the outright denial and join your friends trying desperately to justify the lies :)

Continually saying" the white paper" is not proving anything. I seem to remember you being unable to prove it the last time you made the claim as well. It was not mentioned in the white paper.

Not that it matters. The Scottish people will decide when the next one is and I have every faith that Westminster simply won't change. There will be another one before I'm 40.

Continually saying" the white paper" is not proving anything. I seem to remember you being unable to prove it the last time you made the claim as well. It was not mentioned in the white paper.

Not that it matters. The Scottish people will decide when the next one is and I have every faith that Westminster simply won't change. There will be another one before I'm 40.

This line about 'the Scottish people will decide when to have another referendum' is a pretty empty soundbite.

What does it actually mean?

The leadership of the snp will decide when they want to push for another go at it and the UK government will decide how long they can delay it.

Opinion polls will be taken and analysed but as we've seen they can sway about quite a bit, depending on a whole range of factors.

You are the only one questioning that the quote is from the WP, everyone else has moved on to trying to make excuses for it :unsure:

This line about 'the Scottish people will decide when to have another referendum' is a pretty empty soundbite.

The leadership of the snp will decide when they want to push for another go at it and the UK government will decide how long they can delay it.

Opinion polls will be taken and analysed but as we've seen they can sway about quite a bit, depending on a whole range of factors.

Yes ultimately it will be a political decision. But a 100,000 membership and opinion polling will be a contributing factor in making that decision.

And there is a lot to ponder over when making that decision. Timing is crucial and to be fair we really need to be in a position of actually winning.

Also, I'm sure the SNP will be aware they will not always get a majority in parliament, so simply saying we'll have another in 10 or 15 years may not be possible.

I believe the SNP are on course for another majority in 2016 and they will pass a 10 year term in government which is a long time.

Could they get another majority in 2020? If not when will they be able to get another? If we don't go for an another independence referendum in 2016 term when will we get another chance?

I'd say it means the mood of the country at the time. That's what I mean anyway. The SNP won't push for another one unless the people want it.

You are the only one questioning that the quote is from the WP, everyone else has moved on to trying to make excuses for it :unsure:

I'm not making excuses for anything. I just don't like people making stuff up. You have stated that it was in the white paper quite a few times and have never been able to back it up.

I'd say it means the mood of the country at the time. That's what I mean anyway. The SNP won't push for another one unless the people want it.

Yes but what does that mean?

How do we decide the mood of the country?

It is the decision of the snp leadership. Now of course they will take on board the opinion polls but that's a can of worms. There are ways to get the evidence you're looking for.

I fully understand why they're using this phrase but it really is just a bullshit soundbite.

I'm not making excuses for anything. I just don't like people making stuff up. You have stated that it was in the white paper quite a few times and have never been able to back it up.

What do you want me to do? I have supplied quotes from the WP and everyone else accepts them; I can't force you to look at the WP and I cant help you if google is beyond you.

When's the next ref mate? Its not SNP policy. Talking utter shit.

I will tell you what. Brown HAS ACTUALLY lied mate. You angry 'bout that?

Mr Brown claimed a package of enhanced devolution delivered after a No vote would prevent policies such as rail privatisation and the Poll Tax being imposed on Scotland.

He said: “We’re going to be, within a year or two, as close to a federal state as you can be in a country where one nation is 85 per cent of the population.

When's the next ref mate? Its not SNP policy. Talking utter shit.

I will tell you what. Brown HAS ACTUALLY lied mate. You angry 'bout that?

I never said it was SNP policy - I am simply passing on the comments of your beloved - I cant help it if you disagree with them or are embarrassed by what they said repeatedly.

Yes but what does that mean?

How do we decide the mood of the country?

It is the decision of the snp leadership. Now of course they will take on board the opinion polls but that's a can of worms. There are ways to get the evidence you're looking for.

I am not so sure. Their voters want indy mate. That's getting clearer.

"The referendum process has been fantastic and has really got people engaged in Scottish politics, whatever the outcome I will accept the result as the will of the Scottish people."

"Fucking shitebags, pathetic, ashamed to be Scottish!"

"Let's forget the notion of independence was convincingly rejected in September and have another go ASAP!"

Could have said that originally, would have saved everyone all sorts of trouble.

Not really, the 'it wasn't policy' defence was wafer thin - the once in a generation/lifetime stuff has been proven to be a repeated and deliberate position of the yes campaign, cynically designed to impact on people's opinions and push them towards a 'yes' influenced by this 'one opportunity' thought.

Archived