World Famous Dundee United v Aberdeen, Semifinal

banana

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have got this wrong but I thought Rico's point was that Aberdeen have a bigger fanbase because they are a one-club city (unlike Scotland's other 3 major cities).

Correct

You can hardly slag off Dundee United attendance considering Dundee population is not only smaller, but they also have another team across the road in the same division

That was brilliant.

Just in from the pub, so not watched the highlights yet, but I doubt my opinion will change. Really exciting game, although the quality of football wasn't that great.

When Rado got done by that jammy looping header, I thought we were going to get pumped, but a great comeback. Dow made a huge difference in the 2nd half - Telfer was decent in the 1st half but the game seemed to pass him by in the first 10 of the 2nd. Great header by Morris for the 1st goal, thought he was brilliant all day.

Ciftci looked offside for the 2nd from where we were in the south-west corner, but it's about fucking time we got a big decision our way in a game at Hampden! Don't know why the ref disallowed the Rooney header, but it must have been a foul or he would have given it. :ph34r:

Good to see the MOTM award going to GMS, presumably because he was the only player the sponsors had heard of. Morris was outstanding, and Dow was the spark that changed the game.

Interesting to hear some Aberdonians talk about how good the guy Daniels was - he started strongly by falling flat on his face under pressure from GMS, and apart from the header for the goal, looked pretty average for the rest of the game. Far rather have Morris and Fojut!

Now for tomorrow's game - ideal scenario is they kick f**k out of each other, both get punted out, and we are handed the trophy by default. Happy to turn up to Hampden for a Scotland-Estonia type scenario where we win just by kicking off.

Great win, enjoyable day, rounded off by the bet I had on United with BTTS :thumsup2

Why was that not mentioned in the highlights? Basic incompetence?

It's not been mentioned in most reports of this game I've seen so far which is bizarre. When McIntyre scored (the winner?) for us in the semi final against Hibs in 2005 after I remember everybody making a big deal about the fact he was going to be suspended for the final. It's gutting that Ciftci will miss this final but he definitely got booked against Hibs as that arsehole Beaton booked him he slipped up and his momentum took him into an opposition player.

Overall delighted with the result and the performance was miles better than anything we showed against Aberdeen last season. Really glad to see Morris grab another goal for us. I think I did him a disservice at the start of the season when I almost ignored his contributions and praised Fojut to high heaven. Jarek was a bit shaky at times today and has been for a few weeks now but Morris has been slowly and quietly improving and he made a few good blocks at important times today.

Wasn't surprised at Paton's inclusion but was glad to see McNamara choosing to keep Telfer and Butcher in there too. I would say that Rankin faces a fight to get back into the team ahead of any of those three now but then again with the rate at which McNamara makes changes to our starting line up he probably won't be waiting too long. Thought Butcher did an alright job in hounding Hayes around the pitch and try and limit his involvement and although Telfer looked bright in the first half, he hadn't really managed to make much of an impact in the second half and his withdrawal for Dow ultimately ended up being one of the factors in our comeback.

Speaking of Dow, where the hell has he been for the last three months? He's done very little aside from setting up Telfer's second goal last week and yet his energy and pressing today were key in helping us get back into the game. He was unlucky a couple of through balls didn't come off for him and I thought the one-on-one he got called offside for was incorrect too. However, it was his good work that won the corner Morris scored from and he was agonisingly close to recreating his goal from the opening game of the season after Reynolds was short with his header and Brown was slow to react to it.

Armstrong wasn't at his very best but thankfully wasn't anonymous either, frequently getting involved in the midfield battle especially once Telfer came off. GMS was superb in the first half and was causing all sorts of problems for us. Wasn't as influential in the second half but still got an assist and a positive reaction from the vast majority of our fans.

And although our crowd numbers were disappointing considering the importance of the game, I really enjoyed the atmosphere in our end. Such a refreshing change from the sheer relentless negativity and general toxic atmosphere amongst the home support for the majority of games at Tannadice.

Well done United, hope you go on and win the trophy.

Hurts less losing a semi when it's only 10 months since your last trophy I suppose. Just hope the season doesn't peter out now through a lack of motivation. Get second place nailed down and if we can give Celtic a run for their money.

Thought Daniels had a good game besides one or two nervy moments. Definitely a very good player there.

Ryan Jack outstanding for Aberdeen. Pawlett & Hayes started well but faded as game went on. McGinn had his moments. Goodwillie ran himself into the ground but it just wasn't his day. Rooney well marshalled - non-goal apart.

Easy to say in hindsight now, but Hayes maybe would have been better off at left-back with Smith or Flood in midfield (but Daniels still at CB). Thought Considine really struggled to get up and down the line and it told. Just a shame we don't have two Jonny Hayes.

Going against the grain here, but that's a foul all day long by Rooney for me. If you nudge someone in the back when they are on the move then it completely changes their run. He got a free header in the box by nudging someone in the back, not through great movement.

I agree.

The problem is, 99/100 the referee never gives it, so its understandable to be pissed when they do.

Maybe cos its not true?

I meant in reports like the bbc's.

Edit: Just realised you were probably arguing about whether Ciftci is actually suspended, not about the content of match articles I've read so far. It's been a long day...

Surely you've got to praise the official when he gets it right though, It's obvious whether you agree that it's a foul or not why the refs given it, so it's not ideal to hear BBC pundits saying they have no idea why it's disallowed.

Well no, cos the same ref will revert to ignoring it 99/100. Consistency of decision is more important.

Surely you've got to praise the official when he gets it right though, It's obvious whether you agree that it's a foul or not why the refs given it, so it's not ideal to hear BBC pundits saying they have no idea why it's disallowed.

Ok if you are saying its minimal contact but a foul, where was our Penalty when Rooney was pushed shortly after ?

Are you saying there wasnt contact on our defenders for your first goal ?

Not really, otherwise you'd have the bizarre situation of referees actively looking to even up decisions they've made. As the old saying goes, 99 wrongs doesn't make a right.

The complete opposite of consistency of decision!!!

So giving a soft penalty at one end to even up one given at the other end isn't being consistent...?

I don't think any of this is about being consistent within the 90 minutes. It's about consistency of decisions across the whole of football, or at least across the national competitions that your refs deal with.

So, in a word, no.

Yass, static cam

United fans were fantastic today from start to finish, quality over quantity everytime and our 9000 done the club proud with fantastic backing all match

I absolutely love Butcher's little frenzied celebration as Nadir's goal goes in. :lol:

Archived