World Famous Dundee United v Aberdeen, Semifinal

banana

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing first, congratulations to Dundee United. For me, the marginally better team won. In a game that could have gone either way, Jackie Mac was a key influence in bringing off Telfer for Dow. At the time, I said to my mate that that was how I would change it if I was Jackie as the game was passing Telfer by, while Dow would bring some direct running, and it worked a treat. Dow totally changed the midfield dynamic while, when we needed fresher legs in there, Del failed to respond. The change for me won the game, and Jackie Mac deserves huge credit for that. Hopefully you go on, have a great day out at Hampden and beat Celtic in the final.

We were strangely below par and subdued, but whilst that holds true, we had a number of very good chances that we snatched at, failed to convert or in David Goodwillie's case took about 8 touches when 2 would have done! I felt McInnes got the starting team correct but we spent too much of the first half of the game aimlessly lumping it long while Morris and Fojut had a field day.

Last 15 of the first half and first 15 of the second half, our midfield took control of the game, we looked far more effective going forward and we created a couple of openings. The goal was a weird one, Flapniak as tends to be the case flapped horrifically (the first of four abysmal bits of keeping in the game) and somehow the back header ended up going in. We then proceeded to have one cleared off the line after another Flapniak flap (great defending by Fojut) and looked dangerous.

Then Dow came on and changed the game. United's midfield suddenly were revitalised and ours started to look tired, but rather than change it and bring Smith on for Pawlett or a below par Goodwillie to bring fresh legs into the game, Del stood hands in pocket reluctant again to make a change in a big game. The equaliser was poor defending to lose Morris and Scott Brown was, not for the first time, caught flapping under a high ball. Shifty did well to half block him off and that's good preparation from Dundee United, but the keeper has to be stronger there.

The game went through a very nervous spell where both teams didn't want to make a mistake but the game opened up hugely. It was a rollercoaster period for the fans. Rooney's disallowed goal from the corner baffled me at the time and having watched the highlights back this afternoon, still utterly baffles me. That for me is not a foul, but merely Rooney being stronger than Butcher. Not for the first time, Steven McLean makes a horrendous decision at a set piece. If we get that goal, changes the game again and what happened late on probably wouldn't have happened. Then again, if my auntie had a knob, she'd be my uncle.

United did grow stronger in the last 15 and there was a sense of inevitability that United were going to get a winner from somewhere. The winner was abysmal defending from us. First phase, Daniels deals with the header well and we are in an ok position, albeit with a big gap in the centre of our box which could have been closed out far better. However, Goodwillie not for the first time in the game was weak and totally failed to deal with Armstrong allowing the ball to get reloaded. At the time I thought it was onside and I still can't make up my mind based on the highlights on the BBC website totally, seems marginally off but I can't call it conclusively. What is concerning is how two United players ended up totally unmarked in there. As for Scott Brown's attempt at a save, utterly embarrassing, simply not good enough and the sort of thing that Jamie Langfield would be utterly crucified for. After that, United saw the game out easily while we died with a whimper.

Too many of our players didn't turn up yesterday, including Brown, Pawlett, McGinn and Rooney, while I thought David Goodwillie was terrible. It was a flat performance from us, one that we have seen far too often in big games this season. That we have lost all but one big domestic game this season and have for the second time in the last nine months lost a semi final from a goal up leaves some questions hanging over the character of our squad on these occasions. That perhaps seems harsh to some, but it is a trend that needs to be questioned.

All in, a desperately disappointing afternoon. The day only got worse when my front window wiper motor packed in just before the Muchalls bend in heavy snow leading to a two hour wait in a layby to get recovered, all for the wiper motor to have stopped solid. A horrific day. All the best to United in the final.

Just watched the highlights. The winner is just a shambles all round.

The goalkeeping from Brown is worse than anything that I saw from Clangers, genuinely atrocious. We are out of both cups and in both games Brown has exhibited his crisp-packet hands. We need a 'keeper in summer, along with a new centre mid and a winger.

EDIT: Goodwillie is also a total fucking imposter.

The goalkeeping from Brown is worse than anything that I saw from Clangers, genuinely atrocious. We are out of both cups and in both games Brown has exhibited his crisp-packet hands. We need a 'keeper in summer, along with a new centre mid and a winger.

We could do worse than sign Johnnyc13.

Sorry, thought you wrote "whinger".

Agent Goodie :P

Time to give 'clangers' another chance. IMO.

Aberdeen - 220k city - one club - 20k tickets sold.

Dundee - 145k - 2 clubs - 9k tickets sold by United.

Aberdeen fans acting big time over there support, hmm.....

We were only given 20K you idiot

Aberdeen took less than 20,000 to the Scottish Cup Semi last season aswell.

#BigSide

Sure they were giving it the big in over the St Johnstone support aswell. Perths just TWICE the size of Arbroath. Incredible support you had for that final.

Sure they were giving it the big in over the St Johnstone support aswell. Perths just TWICE the size of Arbroath. Incredible support you had for that final.

TBF we took a brutal support to the Semi, perhaps more understandable considering the previous cup meeting between the sides though..

Archived