Aberdeen v Celtic 9th November

I would think that this sort of thing only came about within the last 7 or 8 years ago, JG. Certainly nothing like this happened during the 50s through to the 2000s, as far as i'm aware.

Aye, but did it start off with one or two teams deciding to have a minute's silence, and then it growed and growed, or was there a decision made by the FA/SFA/Premier League/Scottish Premier League that ALL matches would observe a minute's silence?

I'm curious, that's all.

Other than this year, I can't think of any significant anniversary in relation to the First and Second World Wars - 1989 was the 50th anniversary of the commencement of WW2, 1995 was the 50th anniversary of its end, 1999 was the 75th anniversary of the start of WW1 and 2003 the 75th anniversary of its end, and I think you're right, it's only these last few years these minute silences at football has started.

Unless all this started in 2003, the 75th anniversary of the the end of World War One?

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the match the referee was hopeless for both teams. Getting simple decisions wrong - pivotal one being the corner when Celtic scored.

Thought Aberdeen played quite well over the match but with most chances falling to McGinn who wasted them. Sucker blow to lose the game didn't deserve to come away with nothing.

In terms of how it came across on TV, I thought the booing of Logan was much more embarrassing/pathetic the the minute's silence stuff. The shouting and singing during the silence sounded like it was only a handful of people,. whereas the noise when Logan had the ball was really quite loud at times.

Quite a good game of fitba that today. Glad to see the heads didn't go down after losing the first goal, seemed to rally round, players looked really up for it today which is always a good sign, got what we deserved in the end I'd say. Izzy could have walked, Brown shouldn't have. Nae harm to the big man, but Zaluska is murder.

Disappointing that there are those who cannot keep quiet for 60 seconds, but that was no real big surprise. Unfortunately there is a section of our support who seem hell bent on causing embarrassment.

It looked a good game and had that edge of the seat feel about it. Although you probably wish your team could be more consistent from game to game, it must make for more interest in certain games like this against teams that you know will make the team work hard for the three points?.

People don't go to games to pay respect to the war fallen, GL. They go to watch a game of football. What they do on this day, at every game throughout Britain, even youth football, is show respect by adhering to a minutes silence for those who perished in conflicts, except of course at any game where Celtic play as for some idiotic reason Celtic fans, not them all i hasten too add, disrupt and show disrespect to that silence. So i would think that many. many people will be offended by such morons.

Youngsy you're a rangers fan who's opinions I respect & listen to.

But, at a football ground or any sporting occasion, this isn't a place where i particularly take everyone's opinions as acceptable and justified.

As much as i personally respect Remembrance Sunday and Armistice day with the sincerity it requires due to my own reasons. We live in a world where others don't and unfortunately whether in Britain or not, the views of others, cannot be forcefully opposed on to them.

I'll pay my respects in a more fitting location.

Isn't that what i've just stated. The upsurge in this hatred towards the poppy came about in the last 8 years or so, one of the reasons cited was Bloody Sunday, however nothing like this happened in the immediate aftermath of Bloody Sunday or indeed the three decades following it.

You're missing the point that nobody had silences at football until recently, so there was no opportunity for people who felt strongly about that sort of thing to disrupt them.

This

Expect a barrage of abuse from the rushing to be offended mob on here though, the same ones who no doubt echoed your sentiments when a minutes silence was held for the pope at hampden in 2005 & the Hearts sang a lustful version of the billy boys throughout it

You're making things up.

Troubles must have been tough going growing up in Royston , hundreds of miles away from a shot being fired for ra faithfull

Whilst I certainly do not agree with disrupting a minutes silence for Remembrance Day, it's a somewhat disgraceful thing to do in my opinion, but having a problem with, say, Bloody Sunday, isn't the same as trying to claim the Troubles had a personal effect on your everyday life.

Again, people have a right to express a political view, not only the ones you or I agree with.

The minutes silence isn't only for the fallen of both the Great War or WW2.

It's for all conflicts we have been involved with. Even the modern professional armed forces.

And the fans that booed and sang through it showed absolutely no respect to any of them including those who served in World War 1 and 2.

Not to mention booing Logan for the heinous crime of reporting racist abuse. A classy, classy bunch.

Isn't that what i've just stated. The upsurge in this hatred towards the poppy came about in the last 8 years or so, one of the reasons cited was Bloody Sunday, however nothing like this happened in the immediate aftermath of Bloody Sunday or indeed the three decades following it.

I could say a few things on how your club has used the Remembrance weekend but then the stand out reason could be the pish spouted from Celtic's own ultras. It might not be unreasonable to think the Green Brigade's influence in spreading their buckled views over social media are behind the upsurge in organized disruption of the minute silence as well as the growing dislike towards the poppy over the years and what it appears to stand for to them.

It looked a good game and had that edge of the seat feel about it. Although you probably wish your team could be more consistent from game to game, it must make for more interest in certain games like this against teams that you know will make the team work hard for the three points?.

Things are starting to look a lot more settled now, we've been on a decent run at the moment so hopefully this means we have turned a corner from the poor form of earlier in the season, not quite the complete article yet mind, still a long way to go before I will be going into a game thinking, "aye, easy three points here", but I am seeing signs of encouragement.

Chat quietly amongst yourselves or stand somewhere else. Dont burst into fucking song though.

Stop being such a defensive arse and actually think about what youre trying to defend

Fernando Ricksen thread?!!

No doubt williemillersmoustache will be on to condemn Derek shortly ...

When Deila said that he knew that Tonev didn't abuse Logan, he is calling Logan a liar. McInnes didn't claim to know anything either way.

You're missing the point that nobody had silences at football until recently, so there was no opportunity for people who felt strongly about that sort of thing to disrupt them.

This is what the programme had about the silence.

We remember all those brave souls who gave so much 100 years ago, we reflect on a war that changed the world forever as well as remembering our own who never returned:

Between 1914 and 1918 the Club saw a total of thirty three players and members of staff leaving Pittodrie to serve in many areas of War service. Of these, eight made the ultimate sacrifice with their lives. There were other former players also lost their lives during the conflict and undoubtedly there were many associated with Pittodrie who suffered in different degrees as a result of the trials of warfare. Research into this continues but they include one-time Captain, Alex Halkett and reserve players Andrew Hamilton and Allan Lawrie.

Incredibly, despite the horror that was taking place on the battlefields, football carried on. We tell the story of football and the Great War:

This is what the programme had about the silence.

We remember all those brave souls who gave so much 100 years ago, we reflect on a war that changed the world forever as well as remembering our own who never returned:

Between 1914 and 1918 the Club saw a total of thirty three players and members of staff leaving Pittodrie to serve in many areas of War service. Of these, eight made the ultimate sacrifice with their lives. There were other former players also lost their lives during the conflict and undoubtedly there were many associated with Pittodrie who suffered in different degrees as a result of the trials of warfare. Research into this continues but they include one-time Captain, Alex Halkett and reserve players Andrew Hamilton and Allan Lawrie.

Incredibly, despite the horror that was taking place on the battlefields, football carried on. We tell the story of football and the Great War:

Great post Aberdon.

Should make most folk very humble. The footballers that folk watched from the terraces went to war and lost their lives.

I'm sure not many younger folk on here appreciate the enormity of it all, I perhaps didn't as a young loon, but now I'm 40+ and have my own family whilst elder members of family start to fail I appreciate their sacrifices and my relative freedom more than I ever did as a youngster.

If a set of fans don't want to show any respect please just be quiet. Not much to ask.

Archived