UKIP

Im_Rodger

I'm not keen on this line of the argument. Fair enough using it in an independence debate, but there isn't really any reason why when the UK government pools all of it's tax revenue, every country should get out what it put in. In fact there is almost no precedent for that (Again, fair enough if you're arguing it as a reason why the union doesn't benefit Scotland, but it's not a defence of the Barnett formula)

The correct argument for retention of the Barnett formula is that public spending should be based on need. To put it plainly, Scottish people need more money spent on them just to be "equal" in terms of services. Scotland is about 1/3 of the United Kingdom in terms of area, but is less than 10% of the UK in terms of population. We are far more spread out than England, thus we need more money to be spent on us per head. Otherwise we'd all be driving 100 miles to get to our nearest school or hospital.

Of course there is a reason we are part of a political union of four countries, why the hell should our country subsidise the other three as we have been doing for decades? We never agreed to that, it wasn't in the act of union and the vast majority of Scots identify as Scottish so wouldn't want their money spent elsewhere.

On top of that we are constantly called subsidy junkies by those down south who think they subsidise us.

No reason, you really do come out with some of the stupidest things I've ever read sometimes.

Of course there is a reason we are part of a political union of four countries, why the hell should our country subsidise the other three as we have been doing for decades? We never agreed to that, it wasn't in the act of union and the vast majority of Scots identify as Scottish so wouldn't want their money spent elsewhere.

On top of that we are constantly called subsidy junkies by those down south who think they subsidise us.

No reason, you really do come out with some of the stupidest things I've ever read sometimes.

It's the fifth country - the UK continental shelf that has produced a surplus. Not many people know about this fifth country. :wacko:

Or where 98% of the revenue for this country is generated. ;)

Edited by strichener

It's the fifth country - the UK continental shelf that has produced a surplus. Not many people know about this fifth country. :wacko:

Or where 98% of the revenue for this country is generated. ;)

This is true, the UK continental shelf is the richest country in the world as it happens.

He means the North Sea. The figure you are thinking of is actually just over 16%. Over 16% of the UK government's revenues come from the North Sea. Three of the top eight exports too.

So how is all this actually broken down, given what we're told in the media?

I remember when a quite a few indy supporters were claiming that UKIP in a coalition government was a serious possibility. I'm glad we've all now accepted that it's about as likely as Russia deciding to invade an independent Scotland.

Me beef isn't the chances of that, more their malign and illogical influence on the immigration debate. Which continues apace as the two main parties shamelessly ape them, chase the bigot vote and propose policies which would be a disaster for Scotland.

He means the North Sea. The figure you are thinking of is actually just over 16%. Over 16% of the UK government's revenues come from the North Sea. Three of the top eight exports too.

That's just corporation tax according to your own source. Even what they call the total figure of 5.6% includes things like fuel tax and vat which would not revert to Scotland. As Topcat said the true figure is more like 2%.

That's just corporation tax according to your own source. Even what they call the total figure of 5.6% includes things like fuel tax and vat which would not revert to Scotland. As Topcat said the true figure is more like 2%.

No it's not just corporationt tax its lots of different taxes. The figure you are talking about which is oft quoted, especially by the no camp, is 'oil revenues', that is just one of many sources of income from North Sea oil and gas.

It is the tax on the profits of oil companies if I'm not mistaken, and represents a fraction of the total value of North Sea oil and gas to the exchequer. The link I provided is a much fuller picture.

Not all of that would come to Scotland if independent, but the vast majority would. Suffice to say, the North Sea provides a hell of a lot more than 1.5% (that's the actual figure Darling liked to quote) of the UK government's entire revenues (this study puts it at over 16% as you can see) and a hell of a lot bigger boost to the economy of an independent Scotland than they want you to know,

Edited by FuzzyAffro

No it's not just corporationt tax its lots of different taxes. The figure you are talking about which is oft quoted, especially by the no camp, is 'oil revenues', that is just one of many sources of income from North Sea oil and gas.

It is the tax on the profits of oil companies if I'm not mistaken, and represents a fraction of the total value of North Sea oil and gas to the exchequer. The link I provided is a much fuller picture.

Not all of that would come to Scotland if independent, but the vast majority would. Suffice to say, the North Sea provides a hell of a lot more than 1.5% (that's the actual figure Darling liked to quote) of the UK government's entire revenues (this study puts it at over 16% as you can see) and a hell of a lot bigger boost to the economy of an independent Scotland than they want you to know,

Did you even read your own source?

The oil and gas sector is the UK’s largest corporation tax payer, contributing 16.4% of total Government corporation tax receipts - more than many other significant industries combined. Our report shows that the industry’s contribution to UK tax revenues extends far beyond the taxes North Sea firms pay themselves. Including taxes they collect – such as employee taxes and for those with a downstream business, fuel duties, the Total Tax Contribution (TTC) is estimated at £30.1bn, which is 5.5% of total UK government tax revenues.