What jobs/careers are out there

Mr Romanov

I applied for a job with BT when i had got back from travelling and said i wanted a job in the Edinburgh area then didn't hear back for about a year, by this time i had all but finished my first year of the HND i heard back from them asking me to go for an interview. The job would have just been going in and fitting cables etc and would have started off at 23 grand a year, i decided not to go to the interview as was doing something different at college but starting to wonder why i didn't at least go to the interview

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did you get into it and what qualifications did you get?

Lots of luck basically - I did a bit of searching online after being informed that our place was shutting down ... I only applied for one job but got invited in for interview and managed to get the role. I've no Oil & Gas experience but I have got an Engineering background.

Lots of luck basically - I did a bit of searching online after being informed that our place was shutting down ... I only applied for one job but got invited in for interview and managed to get the role. I've no Oil & Gas experience but I have got an Engineering background.

I sometimes think i should have got into Hydrocarbon processing or something along those lines, i suppose its normal to question what your doing though as i have done it all my working life

I've been doing drafting for the 4G telecoms upgrade and its pretty good. There's thousands of sites needing upgraded so there's plenty of work and obviously AutoCAD is transferable to loads of different sectors so not limited to this sector should it dry up eventually.

I've been doing drafting for the 4G telecoms upgrade and its pretty good. There's thousands of sites needing upgraded so there's plenty of work and obviously AutoCAD is transferable to loads of different sectors so not limited to this sector should it dry up eventually.

How do you get into that mate?

Aye AutoCAD is invaluable these days to have as a skill, doesn't really matter what industry (within reason). Something I wish I had and indeed I've started looking for a course in it, even for the basics.

The way I see it, if you're not on a job, or you're wanting to change, always keep learning. Any new skill is an arrow in your bow and usually helps later on in life. Even a foreign language, it opens so many doors.

I've been doing CAD for almost a year since dropping out of uni. Not much diversity in what I do right now, but given I was pretty lucky to get a job they weren't advertising for - who I knew, certainly not what I knew, the Aberdeen way - I'll be sticking at it for the foreseeable future. The moneys great considering I didn't have a decent qualification, and the skills I'm developing are useful in a huge range of sectors.

Pretty sure you can download AutoCAD for free off their website if you tell them you're a student, and there's no proof needed. Need a decent computer, but there's plenty of tutorials online that help you pick it up fairly quickly. Nothing like getting a few grand worth of software for free without the risk of viruses!

We've had two CAD guys in here and it's definitely something I could get into. The guys in here need to come up retro-fit designs for old switchgear, it's maybe not the most exciting but we get so many different types that they seem to be kept interested. Also get to go and do a lot of site surveys, I only get to the odd one here or there, I enjoy doing them too.

I did an introduction to CAD at college as part of my engineering course but that's as far as it's gone. That was only 2D stuff then but the software we have in here is excellent. The CAD guy now is due for retirement in a couple of years so I might actually look into training up and taking over from him.

How do you get into that mate?

I was doing a dead end accounts payable job at Hilton and my mate said draughtsmen in the Oil & Gas industry get quite decent money. Looked into it and seemed interesting so done a HNC in CAD at Motherwell College 2 nights a week. Sent letters out to companies sayin I'd do their admin if I could get a bit of CAD work and managed to get a job out of it in a consultancy engineering firm. Telecoms came a bit later but goes to show you can use CAD in different sectors.

E.T.A., I never did get into O&G but hopefully one day!

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have much inside info on recruitment agencies?

Got a weird situation going on where I was phoned out the blue and matched to a job then told the employer wanted to interview me then it all gets a bit strange. Get asked that I need to go for some interview with them first as its 'what they always do'. This means traveling in the rush hour for over an hour for no real reason that I can see tbh. I tried to question what the reason for this was and then I get a message saying that the job interview with the firm has changed time and to phone them back. Now they're not answering my calls.

Is this all just BS? Are they just trying to get me on the books. I've read that they'll get you in and sign something which means they can send your cv all over the place to justify their job and money.

I'd hate to turn up at this employer to find out that they've been at it and lying to both parties.

My brother and two other guys I know are recruitment consultants whilst I use two employment agencies fairly often when I need temps for projects at my work.

The interview with the agency sounds fairly legit, though the agencies I use tend to do the majority over the phone. The agency interview tends to be to so the employer doesn't have to do the donkey work in a nutshell, trusting the agency to find and sort the candidates out into groups meeting the criteria for certain jobs. It's also a useful platform to have potential employees appearance people skills and demeanour 'judged' for want of a better word. It all depends on the nature of the business in question as agencies obviously have a variety of candidates from all sorts of fields and backgrounds.

To summarise this big long blurb, someone may, on paper, have all the necessary experience and qualifications, but when applied to a customer facing role, may be an absolute disaster.

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. It's not something I've experienced before.

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. It's not something I've experienced before.

Aye - deffo legit. I hate the agency interview but it's generally an essential part of getting the job.

Agencies can be good and bad IMO - most of them try to coach you for the 'real' interview by telling you important stuff like 'look intrested' etc. but they can offer wee snippets of information you might have overlooked and also give a wee insight into who will interview you which can be important.

FWIW I once had a bit of bother getting a time to suit the agency interview so we agreed to meet in McDonald's in Grangemouth ... did a full set Engineering interview whilst munching on some fries - I'm sure the other folk thought I was being interviewed for a job in McD's themselves.

Good luck anyhoo.

Thing to remember is - Don't just become reliant on the agency and treat roles as 'just a job' and get misguided that the agency will get/have something else for you at the end of the contract. If it's something you end up enjoying keep the head down and graft, but be passive-aggressive with your employer, show a bit of passion and pester your employer about the chances of getting kept on.

Worked for me. Been with a big company that everyone knows for 7 years now, and now in a senior role. Without meaning to sound like a dick, I've always been fairly intelligent, but the point is, I got a start there having been unemployed for 6 months, and just an ex-builder with a driving licence they needed to drive a van.

ETA: Hope all goes well.

You throw jobbies at people. Not convinced you are that intelligent

Archived