What jobs/careers are out there

Mr Romanov

I trained I'm qualified but can't get a job as a barber so working with special needs. I still do the odd cut I'm thinking of re-training as a something. I would like to play with the windmills but think I'm too old.

You're never too old, chief! Unless you're in your 60s. If that's the case, it's probably time to think about retiring. Or maybe become a lollipop man - loveable grandad variety or filthy Paedo variety - you decide.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, and I'm not sure what context you're deriving it from, but it certainly isn't the case with operators.. Lets consider that the OIM is the highest paid person offshore, which is usually the case, even they will have three layers of management within the country, never mind headquarters. All these people will be paid more than him.

He isnt nowadays,managers in town actually take a pay drop to go into the office

I think the discussion before was you were telling everybody that all the top guys in oil companies had degrees and i told you they werent,you then shifted the goal posts by saying all the major oil companies top guys had degrees when you remembered all the little hick companies that you see on discovery were also oil companies (not big ones but oil companies none the less)

Im sure you know more than me as you have been in the game now for what a year?? And you also keep mentioning that onshore is the place to be,so we will leave it at that as i cant be arsed tit for tat we will just say you know everything about the oil industry

oh ps Consultancy is were the real big cash is at

What the f**k do consultants actualy do??. we have a small army of foster wheeler and jacobs guys in the refinery and it still baffles me how they are worth so much cash. projects almost never run on time. alot of them just appear to be flannel merchants who disapeer to their office and only turn up on the plant on a nice summers day.

He isnt nowadays,managers in town actually take a pay drop to go into the office

I think the discussion before was you were telling everybody that all the top guys in oil companies had degrees and i told you they werent,you then shifted the goal posts by saying all the major oil companies top guys had degrees when you remembered all the little hick companies that you see on discovery were also oil companies (not big ones but oil companies none the less)

Im sure you know more than me as you have been in the game now for what a year?? And you also keep mentioning that onshore is the place to be,so we will leave it at that as i cant be arsed tit for tat we will just say you know everything about the oil industry

oh ps Consultancy is were the real big cash is at

The OIM isn't the highest paid person offshore, what regular offshore staff earns more than the OIM?

You can only speak from your own experience, and mine is from oil operators. That's fine, it may not be the case for 2nd and 3rd tier contractors. And it's hardly from how long I've been involved, part of my job is understanding contractor pay for both on and offshore. It's more input than people bragging in the pub.

In my experience, for oil operators, in the long onshore will certainly pay more than offshore, where there is clearly a glass ceiling.

Agreed on consultancy being better than both, though. Most consultants are onshore, too.

...or being surrounded by utter c***s either.

At least you get to meet Mark Guidi, and Hugh Keevins.

See the faces behind the nonsense on the radio.

Reckon I could have easily made a good wage out of it, although drawbacks would be it's almost all evening / weekend working (can't tutor kids when they're at school).

I work with a guy who went part time to do this.

He does 3 1/2 days a week in his "day job" and tops up his income with a tutoring gig evenings and weekends. He's not making as much as he would full time here, but enjoys the variety, and is setting himself up with another career in waiting if he ever gets made redundant. There's another guy who does something similar as a driving instructor.

I've got a decent job looking after people with special needs. With the posts I've made on here who would have thought I would be capable of doing such a thing :lol: but it's great fun and really i do f**k all. I would recommend the job to anyone who wants a change. The money is not bad for a support worker and it goes up each year.

See, I could dig something like this short term while I retrain or whatever. At least you are making a difference to someone rather than sitting in an office doing pointless work having to pretend you are enthusiastic about some shit you couldn't care less about.

Point a brother in the right direction mate, where should I start looking and do you need any qualifications?

Become a mechanic, if you know how to rebuild stuff in the same manner as you took it off, and you can work a computer, you're pretty much sorted. Need to be willing to get dirty though, and have a large enough swearbook that you don't run out of insults for tight bolts

See, I could dig something like this short term while I retrain or whatever. At least you are making a difference to someone rather than sitting in an office doing pointless work having to pretend you are enthusiastic about some shit you couldn't care less about.

Point a brother in the right direction mate, where should I start looking and do you need any qualifications?

You don't really need qualifications but it's worth learning the care codes of practise before you go in and bring it up that you know them like. Places like real life options and scottish autism always have jobs advertised. You should give it a try it ain't for everyone and you do get shit days where you want to walk but it's never boring and you get a laugh most of the time.

I've got a decent job looking after people with special needs. With the posts I've made on here who would have thought I would be capable of doing such a thing :lol: but it's great fun and really i do f**k all. I would recommend the job to anyone who wants a change. The money is not bad for a support worker and it goes up each year.

A friend of mine does this through in Glasgow and informs me that there is a lack of male employees doing it and they were calling out for young guys to get into it a few years ago. Might not be the case now

Wish I'd got a trade when I left school, ended up doing holiday repping abroad for a couple of years, and now ended up in recruitment. Good pay, but the sector I'm in is frustrating as f**k at times due to the calibre of candidates you deal with.

When people say they work in recruitment it really means nothing to me, much like people who say they work in IT - way over my head!!

People that spend their working day browsing LinkedIn, spamming people with job adverts which most of the time isn't suitable. That and phoning office receptions, trying to get through to you by claiming they're something work related. If all else fails, phoning your mobile at 09:01 after mysteriously getting your personal number.

People that spend their working day browsing LinkedIn, spamming people with job adverts which most of the time isn't suitable. That and phoning office receptions, trying to get through to you by claiming they're something work related. If all else fails, phoning your mobile at 09:01 after mysteriously getting your personal number.

My mrs got a job through something like this, ended up getting a text on a saturday night telling her where to go on Monday morning. The job ended up being absolutely awful and she had to leave after first day

I applied to my current job through a recruitment agency and was told I didn't have the necessary experience or manufacturing background the company were looking for so there was no point in me applying. I applied directly through the company and was offered an interview the next day.

Since then I have vowed never to actively use recruitment agencies . I do however get spammed with unsuitable jobs by email and linked in on an almost daily basis.

I enjoy my job and the career opportunities once getting through final qualifications will be vast - pays pretty well at the moment too.

I do industrial division so a lot of the time is spent going round industrial estates and trying to get compliments slips with warehouse contacts etc. Can be pretty brutal, especially with the amount of agencies there is out there too. With regards to spamming folk for jobs, not in this division as you are always overloaded with candidates. Problem is most of the time you are dealing with the dregs of society who work like they don't need a job.

I applied to my current job through a recruitment agency and was told I didn't have the necessary experience or manufacturing background the company were looking for so there was no point in me applying. I applied directly through the company and was offered an interview the next day.

I've heard stories of recruiters doing this to 'middle of the road' staff because they want to focus on seniors who would demand a higher wage, that way they get a bigger payment through commission. Don't know if that would apply to your profession though.

Eta: I'd love to slag them off good and proper, but just realised that both my post-graduation jobs were done through them and I wouldn't have known about the roles otherwise. Swings and roundabouts, eh.

Become a mechanic, if you know how to rebuild stuff in the same manner as you took it off, and you can work a computer, you're pretty much sorted. Need to be willing to get dirty though, and have a large enough swearbook that you don't run out of insults for tight bolts

I couldn't disagree more, I'm a quialfied mechanic and it's a terrible job. Shite money for a skilled trade.

I just started a new job and I'm earning more money than I'd get bring a mechanic anywhere.

Become a mechanic, if you know how to rebuild stuff in the same manner as you took it off, and you can work a computer, you're pretty much sorted.

If you can fix a bike the you can fix a Type 45 Destroyer. Maybe even a Trident missile, who knows.

Archived