Georgia v Scotland - Fri 4th September

callum-ayr

For a bit of top-notch torturing of your Scotland psyche, have a shot on this results calculator.

Bad news - I have us finishing in 3rd a point behind Poland.

Good news - we finished as best 3rd placed!

Bad news again - that obviously doesn't include any of the other teams results

Every time you look at it though, two matches look like they'll shape this group - Germany vs Poland and Scotland vs Poland. That is of course presuming we win this one. Huge day on Friday.

EDIT: Should we not win this one, automatic qualification is most likely out of the equation, and Ireland slide right back into contention. It would then be pretty much a straight shoot-out between the two of us in the games against Germany and Poland (presuming, again, we both beat Gibraltar). The best set of results win, where a match favours Ireland. If we both lose both games, Ireland take 3rd by a point.

Long story short, if we beat Georgia, Poland becomes the most massive game in ages for 2nd place. If we lose, Germany becomes the biggest game in ages for 3rd, and if we fail that, Poland still ends up being an even bigger game, again for 3rd. So I guess it isn't absolutely the end of the World if we lose on Friday, but if we want to go to a tournament, we REALLY need to win.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a bit of top-notch torturing of your Scotland psyche, have a shot on this results calculator.

Bad news - I have us finishing in 3rd a point behind Poland.

Good news - we finished as best 3rd placed!

Bad news again - that obviously doesn't include any of the other teams results

Every time you look at it though, two matches look like they'll shape this group - Germany vs Poland and Scotland vs Poland. That is of course presuming we win this one. Huge day on Friday.

EDIT: Should we not win this one, automatic qualification is most likely out of the equation, and Ireland slide right back into contention. It would then be pretty much a straight shoot-out between the two of us in the games against Germany and Poland (presuming, again, we both beat Gibraltar). The best set of results win, where a match favours Ireland. If we both lose both games, Ireland take 3rd by a point.

Long story short, if we beat Georgia, Poland becomes the most massive game in ages for 2nd place. If we lose, Germany becomes the biggest game in ages for 3rd, and if we fail that, Poland still ends up being an even bigger game, again for 3rd. So I guess it isn't absolutely the end of the World if we lose on Friday, but if we want to go to a tournament, we REALLY need to win.

:thumsup2

I think we have to start Griffiths for this match, he's in good form and his pace/movement would cause them problems all night long!

Would like to see us go with....

Marshall/Gordon (Doesn't matter what one)

Hutton - Martin - Greer - Robertson

Morrison/McArthur - Brown

Naismith - Maloney - Anya

Griffiths

No way should Griffiths start. Griffiths is a very selfish striker, which is great for Celtic but for Scotland the striker's role needs to be to hold the ball up and get Maloney, Naismith and Anya into the game. Fletcher does this really well. Griffiths does not.

Thankfully Strachan knows this and will play Fletcher, if he's fit.

Got more nervous for this as the days go on, was always confident looking at this game and thought folk were worrying far too much about them. They're ranked 154 in the world below the power houses of Hong Kong, Puerto Rico and Vietnam. You don't end up there by accident.

Was looking at their previous results, they don't lose by a lot of goals bar two games against Poland and in one of they games it was 3 late goals which flattered Poland

Fri 06/09/13 WQE Georgia 0 - 0

France

Tue 10/09/13 WQE Georgia 0 - 1 Finland Tue 15/10/13 WQE Spain 2 - 0 Georgia Sun 07/09/14 ECQ Georgia 1-2 ROI Sat 11/10/14 ECQ Scotland 1 - 0 Georgia Sun 29/03/15 ECQ Georgia 0 - 2 Germany Tue 09/06/15 FRI Georgia 1 - 2 Ukraine

They never disgrace themselves that's for sure but don't seem to score many goals. If we can just get that first goal they that might be what it just takes. Going 1 down and we could have big problems, they proved hard enough to break down at Ibrox

Right from the start, the Georgia game away was the one that worried me, and the fact they haven't been able to take points off of Ireland or Poland yet is disappointing, and only adds additional pressure on winning this game. Lee Griffiths might be on form right now, but playing for Scotland is a different animal compared to playing for Celtic most weeks, as being a selfish striker tends to be a plus if you're play SPL sides most weeks. However, I have no problem bringing him on as a second half sub. If we're looking to automatically qualify then we might need to rely on Ireland doing us some favours against either Germany or Poland.

I'm nervous as f**k right now! We should win, obviously, but I can see it being a tight affair, and if it's 0-0 with 70 minutes played I'm not sure I'll be able to watch it.

Fletcher's done pretty well in this campaign without scoring (Gibraltar aside). Do we bench him for Griffiths? There's arguments to be made for either of them to start - I tend to favour Fletcher at the minute.

Archived