Georgia v Scotland - Fri 4th September

callum-ayr

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's the one with the engine and fucking balls to grab the game by the throat, and show a bit of desire that inspires players around him.

Can assure you if it was an Old Firm game you'd see a bit of fire in him.

He's been poor in quite a few big games recently, it's certainly not a lack of 'fire' or passion from the guy. He's got that in abundance even when things aren't going right for him.

The sight of Scott Brown strolling about 35 yds from his own goal, James Morrison makes a good move to receive the pass from Brown, does he give him the ball, no he does not, instead with the outside of his foot he plays a 20 yard sideways pass to Mulgrew, summed up everything that was wrong in the match, no urgency

As someone who watched a lot of Boro while Strachan was in charge, this brought back some painful memories I'd managed to push out of my mind. There is just no plan B, he doesn't seem to have a clue how to change things when it's not going his way so on occasions like Friday the whole 90 mins is just the same thing over and over when it's clear to see we aren't going to score doing what we're doing and change is needed. We were still passing it about casually at the edge of the box until the 89th minute ffs!

That was absolutely brutal. That was way worse than when we got beat there the last time.

Last 3 games Strachan has got it all wrong, finger oot wee man.

My post before the game probably got slashed in the post cull. It was spot on gif of me watching the game.

giphy.gif

When they scored, I and everyone just knew we were beat.

giphy.gif

My thoughts, penned right after the game and shelved until the site was de-pumped:

Player ratings:

Marshall - 6
Hutton - 5 Good moments going forward but kept passing straight to the opposition later on when we needed to keep the ball
Martin - 6
Mulgrew - 6
Robertson - 6 Incisive pass in for Fletcher but not enough like that and had a few slips too
Brown - 4 Yards off the pace. Looked unfit or not focused at times
Morrison - 6 tidy enough but didn't offer much to the front 4
Anya - 5 Not his usual self. Oddly pulkled out of a run when he had the ball at his feet and looked certain to speed away from the Georgian RB. In fact, I don't think he showed his pace once in the whole game. Perhaps not fully fit or recovered from his injury?
Maloney - 6 Tried hard but just didn't have enough in the locker
Naismith - 6 As above
Fletcher - 6 Continues to flatter to deceive. Tidy but innefective.
Overall it was a very insipid display. Not one shot on target, stray passes all too often and second to too many balls. I wonder if we've rode our luck with the 4-2-3-1 with that personell and it's finally being shown up with this game and the Ireland one in June.
It's hard to see how we can possibly come back from such a crap performance to realistically challenge the Germans on Monday. I think the only thing that might work is a rocket up the arse from the management team, but WGS sounded quite defensive of his players after the game. Hopefully he'll boot a few baws in private.

dreadful display, Scott Brown was awful, almost identical display to his disappearing act over in Malmo. I'd strip him of the captaincy and drop him immediately.

It looks like we will be finishing on 14 points in fourth place and it is exactly what we deserve. Been rubbish the last 3 games, our system is far too easy to nullify and there is no plan b.

It's the inability to do the simple things that continues to amaze me most of all though.

5-0 Germany tonight, 2-0 Poland in October and we will scum a 1-0 against Gibralter.

What happened to the thread to get such a cull of posts?

Anyway, it wasn't just a poor Scotland performance, was just a desperately poor game all round. We started out looking quite ponderous, hoping that we'd nick a goal to make us a bit more comfortable. That's fine, right up until Georgia score. Had we scored instead, it would probably have looked like a good tactic. But then in that lies the absolute danger of it. Once Georgia scored, it was clear they were going to fall back as far as they could, an immovable bank of 10 players, and make it extremely difficult for us.

If we were on top of our game, we would have found it tough, but may just have broken through, but when we were so poor, and Georgia - to their credit - defended very well, then we were pretty much fucked. We looked absolutely dumbfounded that they had possibly scored, like we had no idea what to do next. What followed was x minutes of us having the ball and doing nothing with it. We should have been going out there like Celtic did against Malmo in the first leg, take it to them, try and get a goal early to make them think about it. As it was, Georgia played it 100% perfectly.

It's not over yet, but there needs to be a marked improvement in the remaining games. We have always struggled against the diddy teams like Georgia historically, so we better hope that the other cliche about us raising our game against bigger teams is true. Tonight is a bit of a free hit - we never expected to win it, and there's still a sequence of results that could see us finish 3rd without winning this. But that puts massive pressure on the Poland game. So let's go out there and actually do something tonight please.

As someone who watched a lot of Boro while Strachan was in charge, this brought back some painful memories I'd managed to push out of my mind. There is just no plan B, he doesn't seem to have a clue how to change things when it's not going his way so on occasions like Friday the whole 90 mins is just the same thing over and over when it's clear to see we aren't going to score doing what we're doing and change is needed. We were still passing it about casually at the edge of the box until the 89th minute ffs!

Could not agree more with this. Strachan has no Plan B at all, his arrogance and insistence on selecting the same tired, failed players as well as his obsession over his "system" is what is ultimately costing us.

He fails to select players in form and isn't decisive enough when it counts, 1-0 down in a massive game and he puts a CB on? Idiotic.

The fact he played the significance of the game down and that he wasn't willing to lambast the players should be enough to get him sacked.

What rankles with me is that we WILL be the only UK team not to qualify and for that ALONE he should be sacked anyway because if the Dutch fail to qualify you can assume they will sack their manager.

We need a fresh, younger manager with fresh ideas who isn't scared to make decisions, change systems and drop failing players.

It breaks my heart that even with 24 teams we still cannot qualify for anything, that is actually disgusting and I wont have any of this rubbish about the SPL either because all of these players play in ENGLAND in the supposed best leagues in the world so what does that say?

The fact he played the significance of the game down and that he wasn't willing to lambast the players should be enough to get him sacked.

What was he supposed to do? Come out holding a can of petrol and a match with a pained expression on his face?

What rankles with me is that we WILL be the only UK team not to qualify and for that ALONE he should be sacked anyway because if the Dutch fail to qualify you can assume they will sack their manager.

We need a fresh, younger manager with fresh ideas who isn't scared to make decisions, change systems and drop failing players.

It breaks my heart that even with 24 teams we still cannot qualify for anything, that is actually disgusting and I wont have any of this rubbish about the SPL either because all of these players play in ENGLAND in the supposed best leagues in the world so what does that say?

If we don't qualify, it's fairly likely Strachan will go. May even go himself, he's done it before. Are you expecting them to punt him now? And who should replace him? Oh, I see, we just punt someone young in there, that'll sort everything. It's clearly because Strachan is just too old. Sorted.

In the cold light of day, we're a pot 4 team in this group. We're likely to finish 4th, behind two teams that are much better than us and one that's probably around our level. We had a tough group, tougher than a lot out there. Interesting you mention Holland since they've shat the bed far, far more than we have. Saying that there's 24 teams is pretty irrelevant to us. 2 and a half teams out of 6 will qualify in our eyes, and we were always likely to be fighting for that half place. Maybe we'll get it, likely we won't. Had we had Wales' group, or Northern Ireland's, it might have been different. Que sera.

And you round it off by railing on "thebestleagueintheworld" which is nothing but a Sky marketing strategy, and doesn't really have any bearing in reality.

sorry but I cbfa with apologists banging on about how tough our group is and how easy the others have had it, end of the day we should be finishing at least 3rd in this group and to finish 4th, below a tragic Ireland team is not good enough.

If we lose tonight why shouldnt Strachan go? IMO he has failed and writing has been on the wall for 3 games now. Just Play the Under 21s against Poland because they would probably work harder and put up more of a fight than some of the shower of s**t who will be playing tonight.

Whoever the Manager is for the next failed campaign for WC 2018 the biggest change needs to be to the selection policy rather than the age old jobs for the boys/faves routine.

If we lose tonight why shouldnt Strachan go? IMO he has failed and writing has been on the wall for 3 games now. Just Play the Under 21s against Poland because they would probably work harder and put up more of a fight than some of the shower of s**t who will be playing tonight.

Probably because tonight's result could prove irrelevant to the final outcome of the group. If he isn't going to go after getting beat by Georgia, he's totally going to go for having the temerity to be getting beat by the World Champions obvs.

Nice cliched "PLAY THE UNDATWENTYWANS!" shout though.

Guest DAVIDB69

At what point in recent history did we start picking championship players.

SPL non Celtic players are good enough for the likes of Northern Ireland so they should be good enough for us.

We need get over the idea that playing for the likes of Derby, hull , Brighton makes you good enough for international football

SPL non Celtic players are good enough for the likes of Northern Ireland so they should be good enough for us.

We need get over the idea that playing for the likes of Derby, hull , Brighton makes you good enough for international football

Except that's not why players are picked at all, they're picked because they're better fucking players, why do Scotland fans haver so much pish after a defeat FFS

Except that's not why players are picked at all, they're picked because they're better fucking players, why do Scotland fans haver so much pish after a defeat FFS

Said much more eloquently than I'd have managed in the circumstances Lichtie

In the cold light of day, we're a pot 4 team in this group. We're likely to finish 4th, behind two teams that are much better than us and one that's probably around our level.

Poland are a very average side. And Ireland are utter garbage.

Guest DAVIDB69

They are picked because they play in the championship nothing else

The pecking order goes as follows

On books of epl club, guaranteed place in squad don't even need to be playing for club

Celtic players guaranteed place in squad , don't even need to be fit

Championship players English born place in squad

The rest nowhere

Poland are a very average side. And Ireland are utter garbage.

I'll take the point about Ireland. We should be finishing above them, based on results against them. And we still might. Poland are better than us IMO.

On books of epl club, guaranteed place in squad don't even need to be playing for club

The rest nowhere

Alright, what Championship players shouldn't be there, or are just there because of where they play? And who from the Premiership would you replace them with directly?

The rest nowhere

Could you actually haver any more shite if you tried?

1st points not true. As shown over and over and over the past few seasons. Boyd/Phillips/Arfield/Wallace/Dorrans/Bardsley/Bridcutt just off the top of my head been nowhere near a lot of squads despite being on EPL clubs books

Second point is shite too, Armstrong/GMS/Griffiths all missed out on squads recently

Third point is just fucking stupid

Maybe it all just pans out that way because the best players are at the biggest clubs and getting more money at a higher level?! Which the championship is, what club outwith Celtic can even get close to the size of some of the championship clubs in England? Hearts/Aberdeen/Hibs at a push? Forgetting where Newco are at the moment obviously

The only exception IMO is Shinnie, who is arguably better than Forsyth. But I've a funny feeling if Forsyth was at Aberdeen and playing in Scotland every week he'd be looking just as impressive if not more than Shinnie has

Archived