Thread running on saints forum regarding the payment the Scottish Cup Finalists 2014 received, based on this article:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-dundee-united-continue-4678330

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, had a quick search and couldn't see one.

Basically it took 6 months to make payment to saints and utd, who each received around £500,000. This is less than 30% each of the total income. The SFA obviously take a big cut, and celtic got a massive £267,000 for providing their stadium as the venue, plus £140,000 to cover policing and stewarding.

Utd fans got any views on this?..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange it takes 6 months to pay.

In Final the revenue - gate receipts, TV, radio, advertising - is accumulated then costs and travel guarantee (upto £400) deducted; then SFA take 10%; then ground rent deducted (fixed by Board); then remainder halved.

Same arrangement in SFs, except remainder quartered obviously.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/ScottishFAPublications2013-14/Cup%20competition%20rules.pdf

So if Daily Record stats are right presumably income approached £1.7M with say £200k+ costs (including £140k policing/stewarding/etc.), ~£150k to SFA, £267k to Celtic, £500k+ to each club.

Semi-Finals had higher income (60,000 crowd not 47,000 + 2 fixtures for TV, radio, etc.)... but presumably higher costs too (2 rentals + 2 sets of policing etc.).

Prizemoney is seperate.

Apparently it's:

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/topic/21893-prize-money-for-winning-the-scottish-cup/

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/92284-prize-money/

R1: £2000 ... R2: £4000 ... R3. £6000 ... R4: £8000 ... R5: £10,000 ... R6: £12,000 ... SF: £15,000 ... RU: £30,000 ... Winner: £60,000

The thing about Scottish Cup money is that it accrues , so clubs that play rounds 1-3 will get £12,000 ... etc.

I'd make it a condition of entry to the cup that clubs have to give up their ground for a semi-final/final free of charge if needed. The SFA should only have to cover their costs and nothing more. It's up to the clubs to change that though.

So is that £267k essentially 'profit' for Celtic? Would all incidental costs be covered under the other budget lines? If that is so then it is an utter disgrace. Presumably similar arrangement were in place for the Semi-Finals? So in summary in the Scottish Cup semi final we had to play The Rangers at their own stadium and pay towards the costs on the day and pay them a 'fee' for the privilege? :eek:

Are the SFA not supposed to represent all Scottish Teams? Actually, don't answer that.

The FAI done a great job for Celtic then. Etc etc.

Surprised at the size of the rental cost, seems like free money for Celtic.

Celtic were paid by the SFA for the use of the stadium?

:angry:

Shocking

It kinda is... The SFA are, as Alert Mongoose rightly said, supposed to represent all their member clubs. I had always assumed that the clubs who give up their stadium would receive a retainer of sorts, but nowhere near the figure quoted. Most clubs outwith of Celtic could use that money to buy several new players, so is it fair that the richest club gets richer because they're already rich enough to build a big stadium? For a 'left-wing' club, they sure benefit from a Tory-esque system.

I'd make it a condition of entry to the cup that clubs have to give up their ground for a semi-final/final free of charge if needed. The SFA should only have to cover their costs and nothing more. It's up to the clubs to change that though.

That could lead to a situation where a club is renting their stadium from another party and has to pay a substantial amount to them for someone else using their stadium.

I assume the SFA were paid by the organisers of the Commonwealth games for the use of Hampden, therefore it should be the SFA that is paying for the use of alternate venues, for the semis and the final, using part of that income.

I've no problem with the SFA paying rent for grounds but only if it's a reasonable rent for an appropriate ground and that's it. Allowing the club to keep the catering income plus a percentage of the ticket sales is ridiculous.

As mentioned, the SFA would surely have got compensation from the Commonwealth Games for moving the semis and final. They just lease the ground of course but even if Queens Park got paid as owners, the SFA would surely have had to be compensated as their contract with QP would have been in place before the CG arose, so that would have needed bought out if nothing else.That the sum didn't cover the rental costs of alternative venues is beyond belief.

The SFA will also have contracts in place with catering companies to cover games at Hampden so what happened to them if Celtic/Rangers got all the catering money? They should have been carrying out their usual duties at the games, just at a different venue. I take it they were paid off to allow the OF to benefit from the catering income.

As Celtic raked in £267,000 from one game, it's not unreasonable to surmise that Rangers pocketed in excess of £500,000 for both semi finals, probably more when rental, catering and percentage of semi final income/prize money is totalled. It's highly likely they profited more from the cup than either of the finalists.

What a complete farce. The only surprise is people still being surprised at the SFA/Old Firm cartel and their continued corrupt running of 'Scottish football'. Why oh why do our clubs allow it to happen?

Yup - the SFA should have paid costs out of the Games fund. I'm assuming queens park weren't paid that amount for Hampden for the cup final in 2013?

They just lease the ground of course but even if Queens Park got paid as owners,

Some QP fan will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't work in the way it did with Celtic when it comes to games at Hampden - it's on lease to Hampden Park Limited from Queen's Park FC... and the SFA own Hampden Park Limited.

Some QP fan will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't work in the way it did with Celtic when it comes to games at Hampden - it's on lease to Hampden Park Limited from Queen's Park FC... and the SFA own Hampden Park Limited.

I don't know the exact corporate structure. The most I could see was that the SFA lease Hampden. It doesn't really matter though. The point was that no matter the ownership structure, the SFA would have been compensated for having to move the cup ties by the CG. If not then we are being run by a bigger of bunch of incompetents that we think.

I assume the SFA were paid by the organisers of the Commonwealth games for the use of Hampden, therefore it should be the SFA that is paying for the use of alternate venues, for the semis and the final, using part of that income.

Very good point, so they've taken payment for hiring out hampden and then taken their usual cut of the profit. So basically saints and utd have paid for the venue out of their cut.

When you think about the commonwealth games also using celtic park and Ibrox, scotland internationals, both cup finals at celtic, 2 semi finals at Ibrox, at these sums of money it's been quite a profitable 8 months for the two establishment clubs.

Think we all need to get those "because football doesn't matter, money does" flags printed off to be displayed at every scottish cup match this weekend!!

Archived