Jurassic World

jamamafegan

Would definitely watch again. I'd love another in the franchise but 3 now deadly incidents would surely cause a lack of funding (counting 1 and 2 as one single incident).

That would only make it 2 deadly incidents then, surely? JP 3 wasn't really an incident in an investment sense as Alan was all-but kidnapped to help rescue a boy. It wasn't a (seemingly) controlled experiment gone wrong like the first 2. It was an unauthorised/illegal mission to find someone lost on the island. But I get your point. For there to be another film it surely couldn't be about another dino park as surely no one would take a chance now after what happened in 1,2 and this film.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to see it on Friday there, in 3d (which I'm not usually a fan of) and thought it was really good. As it's been said before, it's not a classic, however I still found it pretty entertaining! Loved the references to the first JP, especially the helmet with the night vision goggles. Would definitely watch it again, good fun.

Finally seen it, and in IMax.

Christ, I missed the Jurassic Park films :wub:

CGI and the 3D aspect can both be a funky sometimes, but who gives a f**k? Its hardly a film you watch for realism.

Some of the relationships and meeting felt contrived, but I suppose you need moments like that to make you feel something towards the humans involved (I'll admit, in the final battle I cared infinitely more about the T-Rex than any one of the characters we'd seen throughout the entirety of the film, although most folk probably felt that way). Some of the hark backs to the originals had me absolutely beaming too, the night vision goggles, the original park, THE WEE FUCKING DNA CARTOON GUY!! Tremendous for that alone.

The D-Rex, whatever, did seem like something nobody would ever think was a good idea though. I mean a T-Rex/Raptor hybrid that can camouflage and hide itself from technology, what a smashing idea. I'm glad it got taken down by the "old guard", although the big c**t in the water technically "won", I imagine it would beat pretty much anything that strayed too close though.

The Raptors got a bit of a pounding tbh, making them obey orders to an extent was something I felt was believable and defended, and the way they explained it (he was their alpha from birth, they knew no other way) was clear, concise and believable. The way they so easily switched sides annoyed me a bit though, they've always been built up as super intelligent killing machines almost as deadly as T-Rex, yet here the were flip flopping between one master and another, its a shame they never broke free of all bonds and just went after everyone. While the T-Rex on the other hand got bigged up massively (probably as a huge apology to all the fans for the Spino incident in number three), for a moment I was convinced they were going to have it killed again, would've been interesting to have seen if anyone would've walked out if they had, I bet folk would've (I would've).

All in all a fun adventure, not a great award winning film, but I'll watch it again in five years and still enjoy it, and thats what the JP franchise is all about.

So glad that I could not give less of a shit about CGI and how real it looks because that was so much fun. So much bad dialogue, contrived plot moments and the ending was so cheesy but it all just made it better. Obviously it's not a classic like the original but it was entertaining as hell.

It was never going to be as good as Jurassic Park. It couldn't be. And on a side note, why does every film this day have to be either a classic or shit? Can't something be middle of the road?

This is one of my pet hates in general when it comes to films, TV, or pretty much anything for that matter. Heck even the middle ground will probably grow to annoy me in a few years just because people categorize things so lazily.

Good points - The dinosaurs, throwbacks, Chris Pratt even though I still thought they could have better used his comic side better, and like with Mad Max, kept the plot simple and effective.

Bad Points - The overuse of colour, the paper over the cracks of getting some parts of the plot from A to B could have been better tidied up.

In the middle - Cheesiness. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I was going 'f**k off'.

I thought the good points outweighed the bad points. 7.5 out of 10.

Watched last night and enjoyed it alot more than I thought I would. The fact there was actually a sense of danger and how brutal it was probably helped. Loved the wee nods to Aliens lol

Very cliched, stupid and predictable and basically Sharknado meets Transformers (neither of which I've seen but I'm sure I'm right).

Almost watchable on one occasion, mainly to see oversized prehistoric fish things eating stuff and for the joy of seeing a progressively more sweaty career-woman learning to love children but not learning that high heels won't help you escape a T-Rex.

The wife is choking to see it. My 10 year old boy is the same. I will go but...for those who have seen it...should I take my 5 yr old girl as well or leave her with the grandparents?

It's a 12A so we could take her with us, and she wants to go because we're all going, but I'm worried some scenes might be too scary for a young 'un.

Any recommendations?

Why is anyone complaining that this film is 'predictable'? What did you think was going to happen?

Totally agree. Morons who think they're film critics coming out with the most ridiculous comments.

Probably watched Titanic and said it was predictable too.

Unreal.

Anyone who thought the ending itself was predictable are talking out their ass. No one seen that coming.

But yeah what did people expect ? Dinosaurs would win and take over the planet ?

Boy we sat next to said " It was too far fetched" its a theme park of living dinosaurs f**k sake.

Just because a film is expected to be formulaic it doesn't really prevent it being a drawback. I will admit I didn't think the assistant wummin would be brutally killed because she hadn't done anything villainous, but otherwise there's no tension at all because you can tell from the first 30mins or so roughly how it will go. It totally relied on thrills but you need tension to have a thriller.

That's fine I suppose because kids won't be as cynical, but compared with the original the characterization and performances were incredibly weak too, which exacerbates the problem. Here you have 'stock sullen teenager who will bond with his brother' 'stock business woman who will realize stock lower class character and a life of child rearing is for her' 'stock military man who wants to engineer velociraptors as weapons for some inexplicable reason' 'stock leading man whose skills established earlier on will come in handy at some point' 'stock corporate guy who puts people's lives in risk for profit [PS - Buy beats headphones', 'stock evil scientist' and 'stock monster with special abilities as required by the plot because cuttlefish DNA'.

It's not my type of thing, but I was hoping for a Spielberg film and got a Michael Bay film.

Totally agree. Morons who think they're film critics coming out with the most ridiculous comments.

Probably watched Titanic and said it was predictable too.

Unreal.

Yeah, how dare people have an opinion on it that you don't agree with.

All of that just made the movie that more funny IMO. Called the 'twist' at the end and despite how contrived it was it was still very entertaining. I have absolutely no pretensions about movies though, I enjoy absolute shit.

The wife is choking to see it. My 10 year old boy is the same. I will go but...for those who have seen it...should I take my 5 yr old girl as well or leave her with the grandparents?

It's a 12A so we could take her with us, and she wants to go because we're all going, but I'm worried some scenes might be too scary for a young 'un.

Any recommendations?

Tend to agree with what's been said. I wouldn't take the wee one. There was a couple with a youngster (maybe 6/7) who left during the showing in Dumfries for what I assumed was due to the bairn being scared.

Anyone who thought the ending itself was predictable are talking out their ass. No one seen that coming.

But yeah what did people expect ? Dinosaurs would win and take over the planet ?

Boy said sat next to said " It was too far fetched" its a theme park of living dinosaurs f**k sake.

To a point I knew what was coming. The fact that someone wrote something on this thread like 'It was good to see the T-Rex get a bit of redemption after being killed in the 3rd' made me think that she was going to end up being the good guy and destroy the big creature as nothing else could. I clearly didn't see the water creature being the victor though! So I never completely saw the end coming :P

I've put a spoiler tag in but if you haven't see the film DON'T READ THIS POST as it will still contain minor SPOILERS. You've been warned.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed it and I went in sceptical as I thought the CGI would be overused and ruin it as a spectacle. I actually though it was done nicely. I also liked the nod to the original film by the computer guy at the beginning when he said something along the lines of "you have to respect the original 20 years ago, they didn't have the technology we have nowadays". It was a great wee double-entendre. Throughout there were nods to the original which was nice to see.

It was very cheesy at times yes, but I don't think it was ever going to be a film that took itself entirely seriously. The ending I've already commented on in the tag but to add to it, it was of course very cheesy and 'unrealistic' but let's face it, it was exactly the kind of ending every Jurassic Park fan wanted and if anyone commented on it being unrealistic (in a serious manner) then they need their head checked; it was a film about fucking dinosaurs walking with humans!!!

A solid 7/10 for me and was dead impressed. The fact that guy got away with the DNA samples suggests this may not be the end either.

Archived