You know you're watching too much American football when…..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good counter-arguement, bro; but given the OP, about what you see on the field of play, you know what I was referring to - players writhing around on the grass, diving like they've been shot, holding their face when hit on the chest, if hit at all...or there's John Guidetti this very Sunday.

See if you can find an example of Colin Kaepernick acting like that...Happy hunting.

good counter-arguement, bro; but given the OP, about what you see on the field of play, you know what I was referring to - players writhing around on the grass, diving like they've been shot, holding their face when hit on the chest, if hit at all...or there's John Guidetti this very Sunday.

See if you can find an example of Colin Kaepernick acting like that...Happy hunting.

I hate to break it to you, but, erm...

OKlHfJT.gif

HbfvQGb.gif

FAJoO48.gif

jnlS1nf.gif

tulsti4.gif

hrGEVtp.gif

77xB7Lv.gif

dnCBFWZ.gif

T4AOEvf.gif

I love replies like this.

I'd love to know how much American football you 3 have actually watched? Or is it just general anti-American sentiment?

Sit and watch a game, sit and watch another, learn the rules and you'll get it.

The thing that annoys me the most is people thinking the game is soft because they wear helmets and pads. The game probably has the highest injury percentage of any sport.

I've always cared a lot about our national team but I chose to watch my NFL team in week 1 of the season over Germany v Scotland.

ETA: the OP wasn't funny.

Watch or play any sport enough and you will get it. Doesn't mean you will enjoy it. I get rugby and don't enjoy it that much. In fact I get most sports but don't enjoy any that much aside of football.

Best American sport is basketball. Hands down.

The cheating nature of football is what sets it above every other sport. It's a more accurate portrayal of the real world where authority is questioned. IMO It should be encouraged.

In the same way that anyone who wears a football shirt that isn't participating in it is a VL the same logic applies to Basketball and NFL jerseys. Comparing Sports is equally stupid when we can all agree that Rugby is worse than Ebola.

Because it doesn't suit the agenda of NFL being some honest sport where nobody cheats?

Because he was right?

Well perhaps one of the main details worth noting is that slow-mo footage makes everything look worse than it actually is.

ETA: I never said myself that on occasion, 'flopping' (as its known in the NFL) doesn't happen. What makes the post in question ridiculous is the incidents that have been included, the second one in particular.

True, you don't see "simulation" in American football like you would in association football, but you said "American footballers don't cheat" when they quite clearly do.

'Flopping'

A truly glorious, and frankly hilarious, term for diving. That means a diver is a 'flopper'.

I can't mind where but me and the friends I usually go to the football with heard this a few years back and have used it with regularity since.

'Flopping'

A truly glorious, and frankly hilarious, term for diving. That means a diver is a 'flopper'.

I can't mind where but me and the friends I usually go to the football with heard this a few years back and have used it with regularity since.

diving

ˈdʌɪvɪŋ

noun

the sport or activity of swimming or exploring under water.

the sport or activity of diving into water from a diving board.

flop

flɒp

verb

gerund or present participle: flopping

fall, move, or hang in a loose and ungainly way.

"his blond hair flopped over his eyes"

synonyms: hang (down), drop, hang loosely/limply, dangle, droop, sag, flap, loll

"his blonde hair flopped over his eyes"

sit or lie down heavily and suddenly, especially when very tired.

"Liz flopped down into the armchair"

synonyms: collapse, slump, crumple, subside, sink, drop, fall, tumble

"he flopped into a chair"

informal

rest or sleep in a specified place.

"I'm going to flop here for the night"

informal

(of a performer or show) be completely unsuccessful; fail totally.

"the show flopped in London"

synonyms: be unsuccessful, fail, not work, fall flat, founder, misfire, backfire, be a disappointment, do badly, lose money, be a disaster, meet with disaster, come to grief, miss the mark, run aground

It just sound ridiculous to you because you're not used to it, when in fact it's a more acccurate term. If you had never seen either sport before, would you say the act was more like flopping down into a seat or a bed, or diving from a board into some water?

Archived