You know you're watching too much American football when…..

You start calling your football club “the franchise”

Your team's kit is now their “uniform”

Your team's defence is now the “Dee-fense”

Your team's attack is now the “Aww-fense”

Summer transfers become “trades in the off season”

Your team's manager is now the “Head Coach”

Your team's assistant manager is now the “defensive coordinator”

Your club's best youth player is now the “number 1 draft pick”

The pitch is now called “the field”

Playing at home gives your team “home field advantage”

Your team's best player is now the “MVP”

Team of the year is now the “All Star selection”

Your team's subs bench is now the “special teams”

You start calling all good moves by your team “plays”

You high-5 everyone within a 10 foot radius whenever your team “makes a great play”

A foul is now a “flag on the play”

Shirt-pulling is now “pass interference”

A two-footed tackle is now “unnecessary roughness”

A striker elbowing the centre-half is now “aww-fensive foul, number 10, aww-fense”

“The referee's a w****r” is now “hey referee, you suck”

The match is now called “the game”

You constantly eat for the entire duration of the “game”

You go to the “John” half-way through the second half because you think it's the end of the third quarter

You don’t go to the pub before matches, sorry, “games”, anymore but instead hold a “tailgate party” from the back of your pick-up truck in the stadium carpark

Hibs never make the “play-offs”

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You watch any American football.

beaten to it, dreadful sport

"You know you're watching too much American football when….."

you realise it's fucking shite

I love replies like this.

I'd love to know how much American football you 3 have actually watched? Or is it just general anti-American sentiment?

Sit and watch a game, sit and watch another, learn the rules and you'll get it.

The thing that annoys me the most is people thinking the game is soft because they wear helmets and pads. The game probably has the highest injury percentage of any sport.

I've always cared a lot about our national team but I chose to watch my NFL team in week 1 of the season over Germany v Scotland.

ETA: the OP wasn't funny.

I'd love to know how much American football you 3 have actually watched? Or is it just general anti-American sentiment?

The thing that annoys me the most is people thinking the game is soft because they wear helmets and pads. The game probably has the highest injury percentage of any sport.

I've always cared a lot about our national team but I chose to watch my NFL team in week 1 of the season over Germany v Scotland.

No... I get it. I stayed in the US for years so don't patronise me.

I can see why american football is enjoyable to watch, but surely any sport in which you spend significantly more time doing f**k all than playing is questionable. And no, it isn't acceptable that players are only defenders or attackers and that everybody goes off when they lose/win the ball. Its potentially a pretty good sport, but it seems for some reason its been contrived to make it terrible.

You watch any American football.

Ye, essentially.

ETA: the OP wasn't funny.

I've seen more of it than I'd care to. I'm aware of the basic object of the game. It's shite. How any North American, or anyone in the world for that matter, could spend time on such shite (which is shite because it's boring and requires two players with any degree of technical skill to do things for about .05% of the total playing time, not misperceptions about "softness" which is pish anyway, but I digress) when they have hockey games happening in their country on a regular basis, a sport in which stuff, you know, happens.

And a sport which, as it happens, I've watched for twelve years which shares many terms with those in the unfunny OP and which I've never mixed up. Well apart from calling it a "game" I suppose which isn't such an egregious change, I doubt anyone here has ever been slagged off for asking their pals if they wanted a game of football.

I like NFL. I dont like the folk who cling onto it and try and force feed every football fan some line about it being a far superior sport though.

I like NFL. I dont like the folk who cling onto it and try and force feed every football fan some line about it being a far superior sport though.

Someone made a NFL thread in the Misc Football Forum.

Who are these people Boredom? Do they stand outside McDiarmid and try and get you to change to some other God?

No... I get it. I stayed in the US for years so don't patronise me.

Clearly not, either that or you're watching an awful lot of something you apparently don't like which is probably not very healthy :ph34r:

And yet here we are, posting in a forum thread full of people trying to do the polar opposite, blindly saying that it's a shite sport and vastly inferior to football? Makes total sense bud ;)

Someone made a NFL thread in the Misc Football Forum.

Who are these people Boredom? Do they stand outside McDiarmid and try and get you to change to some other God?

It was more a general statement as i could see the thread heading that way.

Clearly not, either that or you're watching an awful lot of something you apparently don't like which is probably not very healthy :ph34r:

And yet here we are, posting in a forum thread full of people trying to do the polar opposite, blindly saying that it's a shite sport and vastly inferior to football? Makes total sense bud ;)

I also hate folk who do the opposite btw, dont understand folk who desperately try and press their opinion on you

Archived