You know you're watching too much American football when…..

It was more a general statement as i could see the thread heading that way.

I also hate folk who do the opposite btw, dont understand folk who desperately try and press their opinion on you

Im with you on this one, I've gradually become more into NFL than our football but if people don't like it then fair enough won't spoil my enjoyment.

But then it's not the PnB way to let others have differing opinions it's all about putting then down and being specific!

And iv also never used NFL terms when watching soccer, unless I'm trying to be a douchebag!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love replies like this.

I'd love to know how much American football you 3 have actually watched? Or is it just general anti-American sentiment?

Sit and watch a game, sit and watch another, learn the rules and you'll get it.

The thing that annoys me the most is people thinking the game is soft because they wear helmets and pads. The game probably has the highest injury percentage of any sport.

I've always cared a lot about our national team but I chose to watch my NFL team in week 1 of the season over Germany v Scotland.

ETA: the OP wasn't funny.

I've watched plenty NFL and even went to quite a few Claymores games. I understand the rules, I like other American sports and I definitely don't think it's soft.

I still think American football is shite.

I've watched plenty NFL and even went to quite a few Claymores games. I understand the rules, I like other American sports and I definitely don't think it's soft.

I still think American football is shite.

Were you at a loose end m8?

It's not for everyone. I don't like Basketball but really enjoy the other American sports.

the OP is being taken too serious here, it's a tongue in cheek poke at language differences. You could do the game with football and Rugby.

My thoughts would be don't dismiss the sport until you know it. It's hard to get into at first as there is a lot going on. I watch more NFL on TV than football by a considerable margin

I actually just really wanted to like it. I've given it plenty of chances but it's just not for me.

The Claymores games were free.

Fair play. I went to an ice hockey game and it was great but last time in Canada I watched a couple of games on the tv but I just couldn't get into it.

I don't think even the most diehard of American football fans over here say even 1% of the things on that list.

A good mate of mine is big into NFL and uses terms like "aww-fense", "dee-fense" and "home field advantage". I tell him if he ever uses those terms when talking about "our" version of football I'll boot him in the balls. So the OP is a little private joke at his expense, people shouldn't really take it too seriously.

I'm actually beginning to quite like the NFL myself but I cannot bring myself to use the terminology because I think I'd sound like a complete knobhead.

I can see why american football is enjoyable to watch, but surely any sport in which you spend significantly more time doing f**k all than playing is questionable. And no, it isn't acceptable that players are only defenders or attackers and that everybody goes off when they lose/win the ball. Its potentially a pretty good sport, but it seems for some reason its been contrived to make it terrible.

^^^ Doesn't watch enough NFL to understand this isn't always the case. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury:

F2D9jrnd_400x400.jpeg

Anyway, American Football isn't a better or worse sport than football. They're just completely different. There's a guy at work who's not into watching any sports, he's just a mental car enthusiast instead, and he always asks 'where's the enjoyment in watching 22 men chase a ball around a field where it's not unusual for no-one to score the entire game'? His point is just as valid as any that anyone throws at American Football. It's all down to personal preference and interest. I only got into NFL recently, and now I love it. Going to a game over there is far better than the likes of going to a Scotland International... unless you're completely and utterly steaming and we actually win of course.

A good mate of mine is big into NFL and uses terms like "aww-fense", "dee-fense" and "home field advantage". I tell him if he ever uses those terms when talking about "our" version of football I'll boot him in the balls. So the OP is a little private joke at his expense, people shouldn't really take it too seriously.

I'm actually beginning to quite like the NFL myself but I cannot bring myself to use the terminology because I think I'd sound like a complete knobhead.

You need to get better friends if that's the case, but it's perfectly acceptable if you're talking about American football. It's the terminology.

And 'game' is used far more often than 'match'.

The main enjoyment from sport rarely comes from the actual sport itself imo. Sometimes there will be an amazing piece of skill that blows you away, but in general the enjoyment comes from supporting someone or a team, or the drama of the contest. I saw an incredible end to an American football match once, really exciting, but in general it does just goes on a bit too long for my liking. Some sports benefit from running on longer, but american football doesn't really.

You need to get better friends if that's the case, but it's perfectly acceptable if you're talking about American football. It's the terminology.

And 'game' is used far more often than 'match'.

This^^^

Its far, far more irritating when people talk about "stepping up to the plate" when they're talking about football, or tennis, or golf, or athletics, or their effing work for that matter.

You can "step up to the plate" only when you play American Rounders, not when you're trying to win the Premiership relegation playoff, nor when you're in a penalty shoot-out, nor when you're under pressure to get a burger and chips to the take-away window.

There's something a bit cringey about seeing 2 people in american football shirts using that american/scots sounding accent though.

The folk i know that watch it are the total VL types tae

I always used the term "match", I assumed most people on this side of the Atlantic did too. That's why I used "match of the day" as an example, in that it's not called "game of the day". Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Like I said, the OP shouldn't be taken too seriously!

In the spirit of not taking the original post too seriously then, "you know you're watching American Football instead of our increasing piss-poor fare, because" -

American Footballers don't dive

American Footballers don't cheat

American Footballers don't try to get their opponents sent off

American Football refs are actually competent at their job

American Football refs explain to the crowd what the foul or infringement is for, at the time it happens

American Football is structured in cycles so that every team gets a genuine chance of winning the Championship

American Football teams don't play each other up to 7 times a season

American Football isn't dominated by any sort of O*d F**m power monopoly or media worship

American Football fans can drink beer while watching the game

American Football fans aren't ever asked "aye, but who do you REALLY support?"

American Footballers = Jordi Nelson Scottish Footballers = Derek O'Connor

HTH :-)

Archived