st Andrews day in Scotland v st Davids day in wales

im a Welshman that live in Scotland and i'm ashamed to say i didn't know it was st Andrews day today. In wales you know its st Davids day. The kids dress up for school and you get parades. Its also on the tv etc. Its a day to show pride in your country. why is it different here?

post-41489-0-41383500-1417342592.jpg

post-41489-0-33875500-1417342600.jpg

post-41489-0-41543100-1417342616_thumb.j

post-41489-0-04127800-1417342627.jpg

post-41489-0-86959800-1417342633.jpg

post-41489-0-49370400-1417342640.jpg

post-41489-0-84958300-1417342646.jpg

post-41489-0-36280700-1417342652.jpg

Problem of St Patrick's Day v St Andrew's Day is the product attached to it - think throwing back pints of guinness in an authentic Irish bar (!) while wearing a giant leprechaun hat is perhaps seen as more marketable than getting stuck into a plate of lightly spiced offal at home. St Andrew's Day needs a wee bit of an overhaul if it's to compete. I haven't got a clue about St David's Day. Maybe just an excuse for the Welsh to reinforce their Welshiness.

The reason St Andrews Day disappears under the radar is because major brewers haven't worked out a way to market it properly yet. Diageo would have us believe that the culmination of 3,000 years of Celtic Irish history is wearing a big green hat and getting steaming. Let the Yanks and university rugby teams have St Paddy's Day, it looks pish.

The United Kingdom of ENGLAND*, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all great countries and they have their own cultural identities so no part is greater than the other. September has proved that the majority of Scotland are delighted with that. No Saint's day is better than the other but I take the point that we all should celebrate our special days more.

* Leading nation

The United Kingdom of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all great countries and they have their own cultural identities so no part is greater than the other. September has proved that the majority of Scotland are delighted with that. No Saint's day is better than the other but I take the point that we all should celebrate our special days more.

What?

No one gives a shit about St Andrew's Day, and I fail to see why they should.

The only reason folk care about St Patrick's Day is because of how well ot's been marketed as a fun day where folk get pished and get silly novelty hats. It's pretty much a day of drinking sponsored by Guinness. I'm surprised Tennants haven't tried to do the same with St Andrew's Day

Yeah, same with Burns Night. I always get the two mixed up.

I know one's back end of November and the other back end of January, but I can never remember which one is which - they're just two things that fly under the radar.

Burns Night gets a lot more coverage - and can't really be accused of 'flying under the radar' (maybe for you but not in terms of the wider media).

St Andrews Day has never really been celebrated in a big way. Like others have said, it would need a makeover but it also comes at an awkward time of year. A bit meh really.

The United Kingdom of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all great countries and they have their own cultural identities so no part is greater than the other. September has proved that the majority of Scotland are delighted with that. No Saint's day is better than the other but I take the point that we all should celebrate our special days more.

England will not stand for this slur!

Archived