Alloa v Sons

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Head and shoulders above by miles?? Just doesn't seem right.

I'm sure you are in a position to say he won't be capped though. They are completely different kinds of player. Kane will make it though. He is far too good for either of the teams that played in the game yesterday. Natural finisher and he will develop into a great player.

But another 6 months with Dumbarton would do him the world of good ;)

Am very very unsure is he will make it at the top level in scotland in my view championship is his level .I might be proved wrong

Am very very unsure is he will make it at the top level in scotland in my view championship is his level .I might be proved wrong

Nothing is certain but when I see Kane I see a player similar to Ian Wallace in his bustling ability and goalscoring. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it in the Premiership.

No.....amazed.

Quite often see modern day players being compared to guys from the 70s etc.

Considering those were the days of a half time woodbine and a hawf of grouse could these guys phsyically compete with the modern players in terms of fitness etc? Even from when I was younger (90's) there has been a huge change in fitness levels etc but all these golden oldies that often get spoke about are way before my time so I'm unable to compare. I'd say about 90% of the time they are spoken about in high regard compared to our current squad but I'm not sure whether that's down to nostalgia or if they were actually better.

Quite often see modern day players being compared to guys from the 70s etc.

Considering those were the days of a half time woodbine and a hawf of grouse could these guys phsyically compete with the modern players in terms of fitness etc? Even from when I was younger (90's) there has been a huge change in fitness levels etc but all these golden oldies that often get spoke about are way before my time so I'm unable to compare. I'd say about 90% of the time they are spoken about in high regard compared to our current squad but I'm not sure whether that's down to nostalgia or if they were actually better.

Trust me, in Dumbarton's case they were better. I defy anyone to say that the period 1970 to 1980 didn't see the best collective football talents at this club.

Trust me, in Dumbarton's case they were better. I defy anyone to say that the period 1970 to 1980 didn't see the best collective football talents at this club.

What about early 1890's? It's impossible to compare different era's. Fitness levels are completely different and the game has changed so much it's impossible to say if the 70's team could beat the curent team

What about early 1890's? It's impossible to compare different era's. Fitness levels are completely different and the game has changed so much it's impossible to say if the 70's team could beat the curent team

That's kinda what I was getting at.

I never seen anything before the 90s so I'm not really in a position to compare. Just seem to see the older generation reminding us how our current crop of guys aren't fit to lace the boots of the players from the 70s. No doubt we had bigger players in terms of what they achieved in the game, absolutely no denying that but the modern day player is fitter than ever.

I've even recently seen some folk talking about our title winning squad of a few years ago. I wouldn't have a single one of them in our current squad but sometimes nostalgia can cloud judgement.

I don't think any poster on here will recall earlier than the 1950's so there's no point in being absurd about it.

I stand by my original posting about the 1970's Sons sides; from the start of that decade to the end, the teams of then would have beaten that of today, and I'm just sorry that none of our younger fans were unable to witness them. The benchmark for every Dumbarton fan of a certain age is the Championship-winning team of 1972. If people are still waxing about today's squad over 40 years from now then they will have their equals.

That is all.

I don't think any poster on here will recall earlier than the 1950's so there's no point in being absurd about it.

I stand by my original posting about the 1970's Sons sides; from the start of that decade to the end, the teams of then would have beaten that of today, and I'm just sorry that none of our younger fans were unable to witness them. The benchmark for every Dumbarton fan of a certain age is the Championship-winning team of 1972. If people are still waxing about today's squad over 40 years from now then they will have their equals.

That is all.

All we can say is that the present squad is the best we've had in nigh on thirty years.

In terms of league position that's certainly true.

That is all.

To say the team from the 70's is the best ever is certainly rose tinted specs. Reaching the Premier League in the 80's was a much bigger achievement than getting in to the old First Division and by logical extension makes that makes the 80's team the best ever.

To say the team from the 70's is the best ever is certainly rose tinted specs. Reaching the Premier League in the 80's was a much bigger achievement than getting in to the old First Division and by logical extension makes that makes the 80's team the best ever.

I'm not going to disrespect a decent side, but to suggest that a promotion spot as runners-up compares to a decade of a Championship-winning team, Scottish Cup 1/4 finalists three times, semi-finalists once and Spring Cup finalists is hardly viewing thro rose-tinted specs.

Williams, Graham, Gallagher C., Wallace W., McAdam (2), McCluskey, McLean, Wallace I., Bourke, Sinclair, Fyfe, Blair, Gallagher B, McLeod (2), Sharp - regarding footballing talent no other DFC period comes even close my friend. And five full Scottish internationals in there to boot.

I'm not going to disrespect a decent side, but to suggest that a promotion spot as runners-up compares to a decade of a Championship-winning team, Scottish Cup 1/4 finalists three times, semi-finalists once and Spring Cup finalists is hardly viewing thro rose-tinted specs.

Williams, Graham, Gallagher C., Wallace W., McAdam (2), McCluskey, McLean, Wallace I., Bourke, Sinclair, Fyfe, Blair, Gallagher B, McLeod (2), Sharp - regarding footballing talent no other DFC period comes even close my friend. And five full Scottish internationals in there to boot.

Can't believe you missed out a certain League Cup semi-final from that list! I'd also add Jumbo Muir and Brian Heron to your excellent selection. Btw we also only got as far as the Spring Cup semi-final.

Football in general and Dumbarton in particular were better to watch in the 70s and 80s.

However fitness and tactics have moved on apace and I'd probably take our current team to win the hypothetical match against the far superior skilled 1972 side.

Can't believe you missed out a certain League Cup semi-final from that list! I'd also add Jumbo Muir and Brian Heron to your excellent selection. Btw we also only got as far as the Spring Cup semi-final.

I hadn't forgotten about October 1970 but my decades run from 1 to 0. Stand guilt on the Spring Cup certainly !

Archived