Barry Hearn

Most (possibly all) SFL staff who applied for SPFL jobs lost-out to their SPL rivals... Doncaster got the CEO post ahead of Longmuir; Ian Blair got the Secretary post ahead of David Thomson, who was best-known for producing the annual Scottish League Review (apparently he'd been with SFL for over 30yr); having searched for an old post at the time someone called Geraldine Walsh also lost out but the Scotsman article didn't say who too; and so on.

Have they actively looked for a sponsor ?

Apparently they have had supposed offers, or at least so claim the Scotsman and the Express.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The match day experience in Scotland is atrocious.

Go down to a premiership ground and copy what you are seeing (seen as we copy everything else anyway).

Fans are flocking round the place for hours before KO

Food kiosks, fan zones, bars, stuff for the kids. It's not just a 2 hour day it's a whole experience.

Even inside the ground it seems so much better than up here.

People seem better behaved in the ground with a pint than they do in a pub.

Drop the prices and add more of an experience to the day.

Get large bar areas in the stands showing the 12.30 game and see if people would stay for the 5.30 KO too.

You may 1 day have punters at the ground for 7-8 hours instead of walking in at 2.59 and running back to the pub at 4.50.

Stop seeing us as loyal mugs who will accept any old shite and give the customer an experience.

All primary kids free and high school a fiver too.

Excellent post

Just read that whole piece on what Hearn said. Any chance we can draft this guy in and get Cockwomble and co out?

Im with you, just read the Hearn comments and its spot on. Stuck in the dark ages the SFA. They get paid that much and what good have they actually done, does anyone know what alot of them do on a day to day basis?

Because your son's six years old you mad b*****d.

Superb :thumsup2:lol:

Pretty recently, I was reading the BBC's 'live updates' of last season's Scottish Cup final and I noticed this.

15.38: _Threadbare on Twitter: "This final is already much more exciting than the Europa League final! #BBCsportscot"

Of course it is. These teams would hammer Sevilla and Benfica. Cough, cough...

It really irritated me. The guy on Twitter had made a perfectly valid point. The Europa League final wasn't as entertaining as the Scottish Cup final, but the reporter who was representing the BBC (Colin Moffat) clearly felt the need to respond with a negative remark which had nothing to do with the comment he was replying to. As Hearn is saying, we should be promoting ourselves far better. Stop going on about the negatives and promote the positives instead.

Pretty recently, I was reading the BBC's 'live updates' of last season's Scottish Cup final and I noticed this.

It really irritated me. The guy on Twitter had made a perfectly valid point. The Europa League final wasn't as entertaining as the Scottish Cup final, but the reporter who was representing the BBC (Colin Moffat) clearly felt the need to respond with a negative remark which had nothing to do with the comment he was replying to. As Hearn is saying, we should be promoting ourselves far better. Stop going on about the negatives and promote the positives instead.

Scottish people are just like this, its depressing, no self confidence. Just look at the referendum...

Wish we were a confident country. Always self pity with Scots.

Trial it and see what happens*

*At the 40 clubs outwith the ugly sisters cause those c***s cannae be trusted

Spot on. Just leave it to each club to decide which games are suitable for serving alcohol and those that aren't. Given no one would be daft enough to do it for an OF game the SFA probably wouldn't want to know though.

He is right, but he isn't criticising Scottish football, he's criticising the dreadful way an excellent product and fan base is handled.

The publicising of his statement, with the headline "Hearn criticises Scottish football" is exactly the point he's making, the excessive criticism and negativity applied by the people who run the game - at the game itself. The exact opposite of what happens in English football.

The headline should be "Hearn criticises incompetent administration of Scottish game".

Our proportional fan base is magnificent, as is our proportional achievement in Europe over the past 15 years. The problem is not the product or the number of fans, it's the idiots producing an incredible anti marketing campaign against their own company.

The legislation belongs to a different era when there was a genuine problem that needed to be addressed. The change to all seater stadiums changed everything and that's the point when drinking should have been allowed again, because policing it is much easier in that environment, but none of the political parties wanted to take responsibility for the change. Overall I think Hearn's comments are spot on and it's good to hear an Englishman point out some home truths about Scottish football without coming across as being patronising and condescending in the process.

Yeah, back in the days people would take a carry out with them into the stadium, no chance you'd get that nowadays

Celtic and Rangers, Celtic and Rangers, yadda fucking yadda. Trying to lecture the powers that be that this relationship, feted, softsoaped and sustained on its deathbed two and a half years ago, is not the centre of the Scottish footballing world is a waste of time, Baz.

Maybe in a backwater but I'm talking about Global interest. What's happened is that the football association allowed tiny clumps of badly supported clubs to dictate the future of the game which is all the way down to amateur if we don't get the big clubs back but bury your head in the sand and blame the media. Silly stuff mate

There's nothing global about it. There's nothing even British about it. Been working in England now for 4 years and if you don't actually follow the ugly sisters, there's nothing down here in the media day to day to suggest they (or any of the rest of us for that matter) even exist. Nothing.

I'll say it again. Nothing.

Nah because our clubs are ambitious and they'd compete and yes they might have to settle in but they'd have money and they'd attract top names and they'd win the league within 5 years. They're huge clubs mate. Just admit it

:lol:

Away and have a lie down, there's a good chap :P

There's nothing global about it. There's nothing even British about it. Been working in England now for 4 years and if you don't actually follow the ugly sisters, there's nothing down here in the media day to day to suggest they (or any of the rest of us for that matter) even exist. Nothing.

I'll say it again. Nothing.

:lol:

Away and have a lie down, there's a good chap :P

Its the Sevco/Unionist way to think that they are relevant in the scheme of the world.

BBC reporting the police and the government have ruled-out any change to the alcohol situation.

Hopefully that can be parked for the meantime and detached from the rest of Hearn's - much broader, achieveable, and also largely indisputable - points.

Anybody else noticed the larger English football coverage in the Scottish tabloids?

Starting to see bigger and bigger English premiership reports in our papers.

I also noticed the way they reported on Fergies retirement. That shouldn't get priority ahead of Scottish football news.

I know he's Scottish, but still

Anybody else noticed the larger English football coverage in the Scottish tabloids?

Starting to see bigger and bigger English premiership reports in our papers.

I also noticed the way they reported on Fergies retirement. That shouldn't get priority ahead of Scottish football news.

I know he's Scottish, but still

English football is becoming more popular within Scotland than Scottish these days.

A walk around Glasgow and you see most young kids wearing Chelsea, Man City/United etc... Top than you do anyone else.

BBC reporting the police and the government have ruled-out any change to the alcohol situation.

Hopefully that can be parked for the meantime and detached from the rest of Hearn's - much broader, achieveable, and also largely indisputable - points.

I honestly think the whole alcohol issue is a bit of a meaningless discussion. Folk go to the pub pre-match and will turn up just as drunk for a game now as they would be if they were drinking inside the ground. The main thing is that drinking inside the ground would bring revenue for the clubs, on the other-hand it would probably piss folk off when they have to stand up every 2 minutes for someone to go to the bar. I doubt levels of either drunkeness or violence would be much different than it is now.

The main objection I'd have is that we all know they'd charge extortionate prices for piss warm, flat beer that tastes like the pies have been boiled in it.

Archived