Barry Hearn

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"It is archaic in today's world, not for a customer not to be able to buy an alcoholic beverage while he's enjoying himself socially at a function or sporting event.

"I have 11,000 of them at the Hydro watching the darts. Believe me they are inclined to have one or two pints between them. What you have to do is make sure they behave themselves and that’s a security issue for you."

I'd rather get Ebola than share a stadium with the morons you see in the crowd at Hearns' darts events.

Hard to disagree with anything he says. Would any other sporting association in the world openly predict its own downfall in the way that our football authorities did during the demise of Rangers?

The point on the Old Firm was also quite good. They do enough self-promoting as it is, the SPFL should focus more on marketing the forty other clubs and try and remove the "diddy" image of the league. Who knows, it might even go some small way towards bridging the gap between them and the best of the rest.

Hard to disagree with anything he says. Would any other sporting association in the world openly predict its own downfall in the way that our football authorities did during the demise of Rangers?

The point on the Old Firm was also quite good. They do enough self-promoting as it is, the SPFL should focus more on marketing the forty other clubs and try and remove the "diddy" image of the league. Who knows, it might even go some small way towards bridging the gap between them and the best of the rest.

His comments regarding us and the English set up are spot on too. It speaks volumes about the people running our game that when they decided we had to rebrand the leagues, the best they could do is copy the names of the leagues down South.

When the snooker boys used to own snooker, it was dying. They made decisions based on what was good for them.

"Someone needs to be big enough to say Were making decisions based on what is good for the sport. You dont get popular [by doing that] and you need to have that decision making process, that benevolent despot, that says to the giants of Scottish football Theres a bigger picture here, you need to make this cake bigger.

"[someone who says] Were building an infrastructure here that will take us to the next level.

"From an outsiders view, Celtic and Rangers spend their time saying Can we somehow hijack ourselves into the English Premier League. Why?

Agree with every bit of this, I say let him into Scottish football, wont be any worse than Doncaster and Regan.

You may not like the folk who attend these dart matches but if you look at how much darts has grown in the last 5 years alone its nothing short of amazing.

He's right about various things, including a need for positive promotion (not negativity) and not comparing us with England.

By the same token, I wouldn't want Scottish football "darts-ified" / "snooker-ified".

EDIT: STV themselves illustrate his point - the article claims "many feel our game is in sharp decline" with "attendances falling across Scottish football". Negativity, and unsubstantiated negativity to boot.

Lots of things are good about the game - what is 'sharply declining'? It's our stock, self-hating default.

Can't disagree with any of that tbh. I've long said that the people in charge and the media completely ruin the game with all the negativity. The whole Armageddon thing was an absolute disgrace.

If you watched St Johnstone v Dundee and it was a shite game finishing nil nil, you'd be told it was a shite game and everything that's wrong about Scottish football. If you watch Liverpool v Chelsea and it's a shite game that finishes nil nil, you're told that it's two teams not giving an inch, fighting for a point, blood and thunder throwback football.

The EPL is far better in terms of quality, but a lot of that is down to the fact they are light years ahead with their sales pitch.

Can't argue with much of that. Although I just listened to the audio clip. Who's the nasally bawbag interviewing Hearn? He asks about "two global institutions" and "when they're united next season" as if it's a forgone conclusion, typical pandering shite from the Scottish media.

I agree with him, except for the booze part.

Going to the football is a family event now. Leave the 80s in the 80s.

People should be allowed to enjoy the football in whichever way they please (within reason of course!). A family of four with young kids should be just as welcome as a group of guys looking for a laugh and sing song with a couple of beers. Just allocate them to different areas within the stadium!

A good proportion of fans are going to have a couple of beers before a game anyway, only difference is it will be in a pub and not the stadium. Selling beer at the ground would get these guys in the stadium an hour before kick off and would mean the clubs would get the cash instead of the pubs. Keep it out of view of the pitch like in England and in plastic bottles/glasses and I can't see a problem. They could probably get away with charging over the odds for it as well for due to convenience and the fans knowing that the cash is going to the club.

Pretty hard to disagree with most of what he says there.

How many years has our top flight not had a sponsor now? It's incredible that Doncaster is still in a job.

Archived