6 minutes ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

you can buy similar for £70, they're actually pretty good for certain things, although you need the feet glove type socks or they stink pretty quickly.

Genuinely interested, what are they good for? :lol: You can buy similar shoes if your diving into caves or rock climbing etc. but I don’t think there is anything comparable at that sort of cost, and marketed towards rockets with too much money. I would love to meet someone who has paid £900 for those trainers and just ask why. The only reason I can see for buying them is to show off how much money you have, but the sad thing is you can guarantee that some apprentice joiner from East Kilbride has bought them and probably left himself skint for the rest of the month so he can act like Floyd Mayweather when he goes to the dancing. 

15 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Genuinely interested, what are they good for? :lol: You can buy similar shoes if your diving into caves or rock climbing etc. but I don’t think there is anything comparable at that sort of cost, and marketed towards rockets with too much money. I would love to meet someone who has paid £900 for those trainers and just ask why. The only reason I can see for buying them is to show off how much money you have, but the sad thing is you can guarantee that some apprentice joiner from East Kilbride has bought them and probably left himself skint for the rest of the month so he can act like Floyd Mayweather when he goes to the dancing. 

Vibram FiveFingers - Wikipedia

8 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

image.png.e58321c653838ccdfa17dc062e110db2.png

A British classic. I revived them a few years back, got those and a black pair in my anti-trainer phase. My wife said I looked "special" in the black ones and my Adidas addicted mate refused to go anywhere with me.

I still like them but like Gola they got quite fashionable again so I stopped. I had these as a winter shoe and found pals hard to come by when wearing them.

136376841_max.jpg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Benetton still kick about just now. When they're on sale they're terrific value for money. Full price is a tad expensive, IMO. 

Anyway, get the thread back on track, looking likely I'll be adding these next week. 

AS228171-side.jpg.9721cd29462c151867ba6e41d932c8ba.jpg

Benetton used to be a lot more prevalent than it is now. They had a concession in Debenhams in the Overgate about 20 years ago. There was also a brand called Sisley, who I believe were in cahoots with Benetton. I'm not sure if you still get it. The Italian Centre in Glasgow was full of stuff like that but I haven't been there for years.

I've got a couple of Benetton polo shirts that I've bought while on holiday. I'd like one the green Benetton duffle bags but they're rarer than hen's teeth these days and I've them seen go for over £100 on eBay. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I have heard of those brands but I think they were slightly before my time. Read a book a few years ago about the English football fans, Liverpool mainly, who used to follow their teams away in Europe in the early 80s, and would rob the shops in mainland Europe of their designer gear. They would then come back to England wearing brands like Lacoste, Sergio Tachini and Ellese that no one else had heard of before. It was carried out like a military operation, they all had a role to play in the robbery and 50 scousers would turn up to some fancy boutique somewhere like Milan and just storm the shop, 10 guys robbing the tills, 20 robbing the clothes, the others taking anything that wasn’t nailed down. 

Pete Hooton from The Farm was always bragging about this in interviews in music magazines. I always got the impression that he was full of shit and was exaggerating/romanticising these stories.

1 minute ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Pete Hooton from The Farm was always bragging about this in interviews in music magazines. I always got the impression that he was full of shit and was exaggerating/romanticising these stories.

It’s been a few years since I read the book but I will try and find the name of it. It’s written by a Liverpool fan who followed them across Europe during that time and basically tells you the tales of thuggery that they got up to. I think it was just before the ‘casual’ scene, infact the brands like Lacoste, Sergio Tachini etc that the Liverpool fans brought back from Europe played a big part in creating the ‘casual’ scene I believe. I remember reading that when they came back to England and were fighting with other clubs fans the scousers would be kitted out in fancy designer gear that they had robbed on their travels, whilst other teams fans were still dressing like Mods. I’m sure some of the stories are embellished slightly for the book, but I think it’s accepted that some of the scousers were up to all kinds of hooliganism and thievery in the 80s. Storming clothes shops 50-100 mob handed was common for them and it apparently got to the stage where the shops were shutting up and barricading the windows when the Liverpool fans were in town. 

8 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s been a few years since I read the book but I will try and find the name of it. 

I imagine it was probably Perry Boys. 

As often with these things, numerous different groups try and take the credit for importing the fashion of the time onto British shores. 

Can't fathom the like for Adidas trainers, whilst a few will forever remain a classic, most look pretty ropey, and just remind me of Brexity Dad's from Burnley with a massive Engerland tattoo across their back. A pair of gazelles, some ill fitting jeans and a battered old Stone Island jumper. 

10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s been a few years since I read the book but I will try and find the name of it. It’s written by a Liverpool fan who followed them across Europe during that time and basically tells you the tales of thuggery that they got up to. I think it was just before the ‘casual’ scene, infact the brands like Lacoste, Sergio Tachini etc that the Liverpool fans brought back from Europe played a big part in creating the ‘casual’ scene I believe. I remember reading that when they came back to England and were fighting with other clubs fans the scousers would be kitted out in fancy designer gear that they had robbed on their travels, whilst other teams fans were still dressing like Mods. I’m sure some of the stories are embellished slightly for the book, but I think it’s accepted that some of the scousers were up to all kinds of hooliganism and thievery in the 80s. Storming clothes shops 50-100 mob handed was common for them and it apparently got to the stage where the shops were shutting up and barricading the windows when the Liverpool fans were in town. 

I've just had a look at a list of the matches Liverpool played in Europe in the early 80s.

http://www.lfcineurope.com/

I'm now convinced that Hooton and the author of that book were telling the truth and that places like Bucharest, Sofia, Lodz and Dundalk were hotbeds of designer sportswear back in the early 80s.

11 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've just had a look at a list of the matches Liverpool played in Europe in the early 80s.

I'm now convinced that Hooton and the author of that book were telling the truth and that places like Bucharest, Sofia, Lodz and Dundalk were hotbeds of designer sportswear back in the early 80s.

Most large cities like the ones you’ve mentioned will have an area with designer shops, Bucharest and Sofia are capital cities. Anyway I’m not here to defend Liverpool fans of all people, I read a book and you can believe it if you so choose. 

I only went and googled Liverpool European games of 1980 and you've conveniently left out Munich and Paris. 

55 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I understood it was an Italian connection. I had Diadoras for a while. Adidas were considered a fashion faux pad before making a resurgence they seem to have maintained

Technically, you can’t get Adidas 2 stripes. Adidas, quite famously, have 3 stripes. Agreed with those trainers though, Alexander McQueens I believe. They look like the sort of shoe you would wear if you had your ankle in a cast. 

I think some of these fancy designers have a competition amongst themselves to see who can sell the most ridiculous trainer for the highest price. 

These Balenciaga trainers retail for over £900. There is absolutely no way that there isn’t an office full of people absolutely pishing themselves laughing as they signed these off. 
D246C214-C137-429C-8D04-B02FB88EE589.thumb.jpeg.cee64bc860af554039f5b47d6a64955b.jpeg

I actually really like the concept of these. The website says “customers told us they felt more connected to the earth and more in tune with their bodies.” I like the sound of that. I don’t think I’d wear them down the pub but for a walk in the countryside, or even to use at the gym, I think they would be pretty good.

Just now, jamamafegan said:

I actually really like the concept of these. The website says “customers told us they felt more connected to the earth and more in tune with their bodies.” I like the sound of that. I don’t think I’d wear them down the pub but for a walk in the countryside, or even to use at the gym, I think they would be pretty good.

I’ve got a good concept for feeling more connected to the Earth, that doesn’t cost £900. Go for a walk in your bare feet. 

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I like a decent pair of trainers (debatable I know) but by f**k there are a lot of sad old fucks around. Imagine camping out for 72 hours to try and bag a pair of rehashed Adidas city series, minter.

I know, it’s a marketing masterstroke by Adidas.

Gym gutties, poorly made. Just change the colours and call them something to do with casual culture.

adidas Wheatstone raider green and luminous pink. £300 online raffle only. Send out emails weeks before and send a pair into soccer am for someone to wear. Maybe some rock star as well.

I bought into the hype a few years back then realised I could get far superior trainers for half the price.

30 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I know, it’s a marketing masterstroke by Adidas.

Gym gutties, poorly made. Just change the colours and call them something to do with casual culture.

adidas Wheatstone raider green and luminous pink. £300 online raffle only. Send out emails weeks before and send a pair into soccer am for someone to wear. Maybe some rock star as well.

I bought into the hype a few years back then realised I could get far superior trainers for half the price.

Adidas have gone downhill quality wise.

Back in the 80s their trainers were well made with a really firm arch support.

The last couple of pairs I've bought, Tobacco and Trim Trabb, have just been cheap low grade shite.

I'm only going to wear Clark's shoes from now on. I'd rather dress like a geography teacher than a brexit voter from Stoke.

3 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Adidas have gone downhill quality wise.

Back in the 80s their trainers were well made with a really firm arch support.

The last couple of pairs I've bought, Tobacco and Trim Trabb, have just been cheap low grade shite.

I'm only going to wear Clark's shoes from now on. I'd rather dress like a geography teacher than a brexit voter from Stoke.

mens-clarks-casual-velcro-shoe-north-coa

Shoes like that would get you excused a kicking on the Bridge of Doom.

10 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm an EQT primeknit wearer. Had a couple of pairs and I just love the way they look. 

These are my absolute joy, bought for the gym and when they turned up they were promoted to my holiday trainer. Been worn about 5 times in nearly 3 year. 

66790582_max.jpg.aa5bc5b20fc328870344638748e0d854.jpg

:wub:

Mate.

You chinned me for having Back to the Future/Stranger Things retro trainers...

Woody-Harrelson-What-Stare.gif

11 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

These look like trainers for playing squash or badminton. Do you own these trainers? 

Dunlop are such a strange brand. You won’t hear me say a bad word about their range of tyres, and if I find a Dunlop golf ball out on the course I will probably stick it in my bag, but I wouldn’t walk about a ghost town with a pair of their trainers on. 

you wouldn't play badminton or squash in them now as these are 70s/80s "originals".

Slazenger/Dunlop have had all their various departments broken up and are now owned by different parent companies. Thats why their racquets/tennis balls/golf clubs are still decent brands - with Slazenger balls continuing to sponsor Wimbledon - whereas their t-shirts, polo shirts and socks can be found in bargain buckets in Sports Direct (in fact Sport Direct may own Slazenger clothing for UK).