The "Meh" Super Classico part 3!

I've just been reminiscing about some of the previous Meh Derbies. Ahh, it is a fixture which is steeped in history (and one which is intrinsically connected with so many great memories). Kilmarnock fans, do you remember that one time when.. Actually, no, that never happened. Give me another minute.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a heart attack after one particular meh derby at McD when we lost 1-0. League Cup Sep 2000. I survived. Stop being so soft and get along to what is sure to be a grand spectacle.

Hope that lad who took ill last season is ok.

I once got into this fixture for free.

I've only paid into one of our last three visits at Rugby Park. Comps galore.

Heard that one Saints fan has even come back from Mexico for this fixture. That is what it does to people!

One of the finest goals I've seen at RP happened during the Meh-rby: a last-minute Mavis Reilly volley into the top corner from outside the area after a corner. Think it was 97/98 season. All 90,000 in attendance (it was the late '90s, boom times in Scottish football) stood to a man to applaud.

Hottest ticket in town.

I've only paid into one of our last three visits at Rugby Park. Comps galore.

Heard that one Saints fan has even come back from Mexico for this fixture. That is what it does to people!

I've heard that particular Saints fan might actually be giving this game a dingy in preference for christmas shopping with his mum.

8)

One of the finest goals I've seen at RP happened during the Meh-rby: a last-minute Mavis Reilly volley into the top corner from outside the area after a corner. Think it was 97/98 season. All 90,000 in attendance (it was the late '90s, boom times in Scottish football) stood to a man to applaud.

Hottest ticket in town.

I remember that. Was deep into injury-time as was walking towards the exit when he pinged it in. He must've had a twin brother that signed for us a few years later. We won down there early that season and can still recall how good Alan Main was that day. The late Bob Crampsey was covering the game on Radio Scotland and I'm sure described it as one of the finest goalkeeping performances he'd seen. The following season he let Mark Roberts lob him from about 40 yards at the same ground.

My favourite "Meh Derby" was when one of the finest ever players to pull on a St Johnstone strip scored a delightful goal to secure a draw at Rugby Park in 2011.

Disgraceful that this man is no longer playing professional football and is now working as a personal trainer. A fine player.

God bless ya, Cleve.

jan11killie1.jpg

Not confident going into this one, but a run the likes of the one we're having will do that to you. Maybe - just maybe - getting back to RP after a couple of forgettable trips to Glasgow might help, but I'm not sure.

One thing is certain, though - we have to start getting points on the board before we start getting dragged into the fight at the bottom. A score draw in this one would be acceptable, provided the Saints' equaliser is a seriously dodgy penalty right at the death - then we can use the feelings of injustice as a motivating factor when we go to furryboots land next week - and I'll definitely take a point from that one.

Some nice Meh Derby memories on this thread which I've been inspired by. I've decided to post up a 'Meh Derby' flashback every day until the big kick-off. Hopefully it will build up the excitement even further.

The 'Meh' Derby - Wednesday's Flashback

Believe it or not, almost a year and a half has passed since St. Johnstone travelled to Kilmarnock for the opening Meh Derby of the 2013/14 season! The match will go down as one of the more memorable clashes between the two sides, but it will always be remembered in particular for one major event. In the 78th minute, Kris Boyd tried to score a goal. The ball hit the post. If he had scored a goal, it would have resulted in a 1-0 victory for the home side. However, because the ball had hit the post, he didn't score a goal and the match ended in a 0-0 draw.

_69233055_kris_boyd.jpg

Pictured: Kris Boyd hits the post in the opening Meh Derby of the 2013/14 season. Boyd no longer plays for Kilmarnock, so they will have to rely on someone else to almost score a goal for them this weekend.

Fair play to the fans that do turn up on Saturday, Long journey, Crimbo just round the corner, always a hard game at Killie.

Killie to Aberdeen, County or Inverness is a long journey.

Perth is a two hour bus journey. Folk seem to think Kilmarnock is further away than it is.

Out with Motherwell, Celtic, Thistle, Hamilton and St Mirren, Perth is our closest game!

Some nice Meh Derby memories on this thread which I've been inspired by. I've decided to post up a 'Meh Derby' flashback every day until the big kick-off. Hopefully it will build up the excitement even further.

The 'Meh' Derby - Wednesday's Flashback

Believe it or not, almost a year and a half has passed since St. Johnstone travelled to Kilmarnock for the opening Meh Derby of the 2013/14 season! The match will go down as one of the more meh-morable clashes between the two sides, but it will always be remembered in particular for one major event. In the 78th minute, Kris Boyd tried to score a goal. The ball hit the post. If he had scored a goal, it would have resulted in a 1-0 victory for the home side. However, because the ball had hit the post, he didn't score a goal and the match ended in a 0-0 draw.

Fixed it

Archived