Football breaks

gav-ffc

Looking at booking a game abroad and looking for some advice really, wouldnt be this season as the Mrs pregnant and due in May.

Looking at going to a City that is decent price wise and has a decent stadium. Looked at Thomas cook website and prices are a bit steep from what i have heard other people have paid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Unless it's a game that would sell out otherwise I wouldn't bother with the Thomas Cook packages and other companies. Would imagine you'd be able to save a fortune just sorting your own digs, flights, tickets etc where possible

Germany is obviously great for games and while th obvious one is dortmund, you've got so much crammed together in that part of Germany: fortuna dusseldorf (best city to stay in if you plan on going to dortmund game) ; Cologne, Schalke

Looking at booking a game abroad and looking for some advice really, wouldnt be this season as the Mrs pregnant and due in May.

Looking at going to a City that is decent price wise and has a decent stadium. Looked at Thomas cook website and prices are a bit steep from what i have heard other people have paid.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've had a couple of great deals from Easyjet Holidays recently, £150 for 3 nights in Budapest and £200 for a week in Malta, both flying from Inverness, changing at Gatwick and including hotels. Don't buy your match ticket from an agency, they usually charge way over the real price.

I second Dusseldorf. Close to Dortmund, Schalke, Monchengladbach, Leverkusen, FC Koln in the Bundesliga, Fortuna Dusseldorf and VfL Bochum in 2. and Fortuna Koln and MSV Duisburg in 3. Liga. You can also travel to Rostock easily if you're mentally deranged and want to follow Duisburg away.

I go on a football break every year. I usually do all the work myself. Depending on who you want to see/where you want to go. Check out the club sight for tickets and book flights and accommodation yourself. You will save a fortune. Thomas cook packages are a rip off.

On Random matches thread just said i'm off to Holland for games at Ajax, Feyenoord and Vitesse. Only Ajax match is expensive (Package is only ticket available for tourists)

Last year I went to Lisbon for Benfica (€25/35) and Vitoria setubal (€10/15), Also been to Spain and Italy a few times for matches.

Haven't been over to Germany yet but plan too next year.

As an alternative to Dusseldorf, you could fly to Frankfurt. Eintracht Frankfurt, FSV Frankfurt, Offenbach Kickers, FSV Mainz and SV Darmstadt are all nearby.

Plenty of info on this thread here...

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/174712-travelling-to-a-german-game/page-5?hl=mainz#entry7820652

Been to games in Hamburg, Madrid and Munich.

Hamburg was probably the best overall experience gamewise and was also the cheapest at 18 EUR (April 2013). The stadium is incredible. We were only there for a couple of nights for a mate's 21st so stuck to the Reeperbahn area (not the seedy stuff, just bars/clubs). Also did a bus tour quickly on the Saturday and it looks like there would be plenty more to see.

Madrid cost me 70 EUR but I'd say it was worth it to see Real playing superbly. Was in November 2013 and they beat Sociedad 5-1, Ronaldo scored a hattrick and Griezmann scored a peach. Was two Champions League sides so quality was high. The stadium tour is absolutely brilliant as well, so many trophies and a fantastic interactive museum bit. Madrid is a very underrated city IMO, there's so much to see and there's a wide array of bars/clubs of varying price. I'd definitely go back.

Munich is my favourite city I've been to and I would recommend it to anyone. We went on a weekend 1860 were at home so we got to see a game at the Allianz for about 22 EUR (March 2014). There was only about 20k there though so atmosphere a little bit off what you'd get for a Bayern game.

I'm looking at going away again in March, potentially looks like Dusseldorf and might try and get three games in (first weekend has Fortuna Dusseldorf Friday, Schalke Saturday and Koln Sunday).

Prague, four top flight teams so chances are you will have a choice of game, all grounds are accessible via public transport and you can pay on the day.

Been to Sparta, Slavia's new stadium and their old one, Bohemians, Viktoia Zizkov and the Strahov stadium (watched Slavia train there last February the day they played Chelsea). Favourite is Bohemians.

Been abroad to watch Motherwell/Scotland but never to see a foreign match itself.

A few mates have been on a couple of these trips and they rave about Germany. If you like beer and football then seems like the best place to go!

• 1 month later...

Was at the Atletico v Rayo game last month. Flew frae Edinburgh. Three nights in decent central hotel, match ticket and flights under 170 quid. Bargain. Defo returning.

Where did you book this mate, I'm looking for a 3 day break sept/Oct time and hoping to take in a game somewhere

Easyjet from Edinburgh. Buy and print your tickets of the official Atletico site. Stayed in the Ganivet Hotel, handy for the Calderon and the city centre with the added bonus of having a very generous barman.

I would love to visit turkey for a game, preferably one of the Istanbul clubs.

Besiktas, or Galatasary are decent, Fernerbache was pretty boring.

The Budapest derbies between Ujpest and Ferencvaros used to be good.

Germany, Poland and Russia, are good for games. Vietnam and China pretty rotten.

Archived