Insurance for a 17 year old

Wilky1878

Its illegal now to put someone as first driver and yourself as a named driver on the car, however you can put someone down as a named driver and save a bit of money.

It has ALWAYS been illegal. It's called "fronting", or more simply "Fraud".

Depends who formally owns the car I suppose. Doesn't surprise me the greedy c***s have caught onto that though...

Aye, my maw who'll never drive my car saved me like £40 over the year by being on my insurance lol.

No, it doesn't depend who owns the car at all. It is the responsibility of the main driver of the car to get insurance in their own name (unless it's on a motor fleet company policy). Ownership is irrelevant. Claiming someone else is the main driver is fraud.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you are an old man I won't be too bad, will take a few years to build up your no-claims. You can do a few quotes now to see i think.

I passed my test at 23 and was £45 a month for a 1.4 Punto so you shouldn't be too bad at all to be honest. I put my girlfriend on mine as a named driver and that brought it down £100 over the year as she has 6 years no claims.

Are you sitting the test in an automatic? If not they burn a lot of fuel compared to a manual of the same make.

Aye did a couple lessons in a manual and was struggling a wee bit and need to pass my test fairly quickly for work so tried lessons in an automatic and it's a breeze in comparison. Once I have passed in an automatic and been driving for 6 months or so ill be looking to possibly do some manual lessons.

£120 a month sounds braw how much did the corsa set you back and how does it run?

The corsa cost me £900 and I crashed it after 8 months, sold it after 9 months. Ran decent but was fucking horrendous with ice

Aye did a couple lessons in a manual and was struggling a wee bit and need to pass my test fairly quickly for work so tried lessons in an automatic and it's a breeze in comparison. Once I have passed in an automatic and been driving for 6 months or so ill be looking to possibly do some manual lessons.

At the moment it would be worth it, things like renting a car on holiday are a lot more expensive with an automatic. But I think all cars will be fuel efficient automatics in a decade or so, hardly anyone has driven a manual in the States for decades.

Until you are 25 be prepared to pay a lot of money. I work in Insurance and some of the quotes I see for young drivers are unbelievable. £4,500 probably the most expensive. Ridiculous.

I'm 24, a named driver on a 1 litre Corsa and still can't get cheap insurance on my own. Had a licence since I was 17 and had no accidents or convictions.

The corsa cost me £900 and I crashed it after 8 months, sold it after 9 months. Ran decent but was fucking horrendous with ice

Seems not too bad will need to have a look.

Until you are 25 be prepared to pay a lot of money. I work in Insurance and some of the quotes I see for young drivers are unbelievable. £4,500 probably the most expensive. Ridiculous.

I'm 24, a named driver on a 1 litre Corsa and still can't get cheap insurance on my own. Had a licence since I was 17 and had no accidents or convictions.

Yeah I know, dreading paying insurance but hopefully will find one that's at least pretty decent

On a related subject, for car finance do they take into consideration if you are a first time driver or is that quote more likely to be on your personal credit rating?

Car finance is based on your credit rating although you do have to be 18 before you can apply for credit.

Im 22, 4 years no accidents and drive 1.6 petrol golf, and im just over a grand for the year. Started with a 1.4 golf for around two grand

It's worth considering your job title for insurance purposes. If you work in a bar, say, but spend a bit of time in the back office, you might be better off saying clerk than barman. There's a huge difference in premiums between certain job titles. I wouldn't lie, but if you can come up with a reasonable explanation for your job description, go for it.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

Guest The Phoenix

On a related subject, for car finance do they take into consideration if you are a first time driver or is that quote more likely to be on your personal credit rating?

Finance companies will screw money out of anyone they think is credit worthy (and many who aren't). You could have stopped breathing for all they care.

Liked the faux outrage at the 'fraud' of using named drivers. I think you would be doing well to argue that what insurance companies doing to young drivers trails much behind ethical fraud. Insurance companies to a man are utterly contemptable.

Scraping teenagers off walls isn't exactly cheap.

Insurance companies are dicks, but the figures don't lie. Irresponsible young drivers make it worse for the responsible ones, unfortunately.

I did, and still would take the 'named driver' route.

Only one in eight accidents involves a driver between 17 and 19. To me thats not worthy of ramping up the insurance to almost treble what some three years older would be paying. Its mental.

Only one in eight accidents involves a driver between 17 and 19. To me thats not worthy of ramping up the insurance to almost treble what some three years older would be paying. Its mental.

One in eight accidents caused by a two year age group. The other 70+ years can share the 87.5%.

One in eight accidents caused by a two year age group. The other 70+ years can share the 87.5%.

I get that that age group are more susceptible to accidents but I fail to see how they can even begin to justify their position. It just smacks of the good old 'lets see how much we can screw out of them' British attitude.

I have stats for fatal or serious road accidents from 2012.

17-19 year olds - 919 people killed or seriously injured

20-24 year olds - 1417 people killed or seriously injured

25-29 year olds - 920 people killed or seriously injured

30-39 year olds - 1247 people killed or seriously injured

40-59 year olds - 2082 people killed or seriously injured

The difference in insurance prices is a complete joke, regardless of how you want to interpret things, not a chance a 30 year old driver with two years experience is a better driver than a 23 year old with five years, but one would pay double of the other.

I get that that age group are more susceptible to accidents but I fail to see how they can even begin to justify their position. It just smacks of the good old 'lets see how much we can screw out of them' British attitude.

I have stats for fatal or serious road accidents from 2012.

17-19 year olds - 919 people killed or seriously injured

20-24 year olds - 1417 people killed or seriously injured

25-29 year olds - 920 people killed or seriously injured

30-39 year olds - 1247 people killed or seriously injured

40-59 year olds - 2082 people killed or seriously injured

The difference in insurance prices is a complete joke, regardless of how you want to interpret things, not a chance a 30 year old driver with two years experience is a better driver than a 23 year old with five years, but one would pay double of the other.

The number of fatalities doesn't matter.

The cost of your insurance is what the insurance company thinks they'll have to pay out to the average driver in your risk bracket + their running costs + their profit margins.

As well as having more accidents, young drivers tend to have more costly ones.

If you honestly thin the insurance companies are making more than 100% profit from young drivers, start your own company that only makes 50% and take all their business away from them.

To answer the OP: If you are confident you are much safer than the average driver in your bracket, insure less. Get 3rd party only a large excess think about fitting an alarm and consider going through and old school broker if you can find one.

If you phone direct line they'll ask lots of questions to try and evaluate your risk level, a broker can ask different ones like 'Will your dad boot your arse up and down the street if you have a crash?' and can tell if you might present less of a risk than some other people direct line would class as the same.

Archived