The Great Big Morton Thread

So if we finish first or even second, how would we this team then compare with the sides that failed to go up in 0304,0405 and 0506? I think the quality of teams are comparable.

The quality of our team,on the face of it does not compare.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To clarify, the quality of opposition is comparable. That season brechin and stranraer went up and we had McLaren weatherson McAllister Millar. The collapse season, it could be argued that for far compare to that Airdrie team in terms of the experience and attacking threat.

In the end it is comparing apples and pears. I don't fancy our chances in championship with JD in charge but I do think we have a decent shout of winning the league from here.

So if we finish first or even second, how would we this team then compare with the sides that failed to go up in 0304,0405 and 0506? I think the quality of teams are comparable.

The quality of our team,on the face of it does not compare.

We're on course for 61 points at the moment. 03/04 was 59, 04/05 was 62, 05/06 was 70.

I think the team is probably comparable to the 04/05 team. McLaren didn't join till later on that season, we might have gone up if he had joined earlier.

I

We've got the CBs, just not in the right combination.

A new CM is essential if we have any chance of winning this league.

The thing is though, Duffy isn't playing them in their natural position for a reason; he has his favourites.

If he brings someone in, then I think it's fair to assume it'll be to better the squad and they'll play in the position they're brought in for (inb4 someone brings up the signings he's already made).

Atm, and with the squad we have, I'd like to see Pepper play in alongside O'Ware. McKee had a good game in a wider role, which might just suit him better. That remains to be seen.

The thought of continuing with Crighton and Stef as our first choice centre backs doesn't fill me with much optimism.

ETA: Lamie wasn't all the poor yesterday. He did what he had to do.

I reckon Duffy is looking to play certain players to n certain games.

I wasn't there yesterday, but two up front with two defensive midseason suggests the wide mids playing the quite high.

This means messing about with the back four which is no use. We need a settled back four. If that's kilday crighton lamie and Russell then go with it and work with them.

It's good news that Stefan did well yesterday as he will be back-up surely with barrowman second choice to Caldwell.

I wasn't there yesterday, but two up front with two defensive midseason suggests the wide mids playing the quite high.

This means messing about with the back four which is no use. We need a settled back four. If that's kilday crighton lamie and Russell then go with it and work with them.

It's good news that Stefan did well yesterday as he will be back-up surely with barrowman second choice to Caldwell.

I was surprised to see Russell play yesterday, because he's normally only played at home. Imo, Russell should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Am I the only one who wishes we could buy a competent left back, so we can push Russell on and into the left of midfield?

I'm absolutely convinced that Duffy will play with Peaso and Barrowman up front, not Caldwell.

It's the Duffy way. :huh:

I'm absolutely convinced that Duffy will play with Peaso and Barrowman up front, not Caldwell.

It's the Duffy way. :huh:

You'd think so, given that he's been utilising Barrowman as the target man (let's all laugh).

I hope in his absence yesterday, he's been reflecting on his absolutely disgusting performance against Airdrie. One of the worst I've ever seen.

Then you shouldn't have squandered such meagre resources (yet still by a country mile the second largest wage budget at this level, possibly even the largest) on about 14 centre-backs during the summer, three different left-back options, and now your third senior goalkeeper of the campaign. The failure to provide wages for quality players rests with your preference for a squad depth in journeymen picks, rather than securing quality in key positions.

Which is why we're second in a crap division and why absolutely nobody is handing out gold stars for that complete and utter non-achievement.

Well if it was not thus and all was perfect what would your purpose in life be, special adviser to Jack Dee?

Then you shouldn't have squandered such meagre resources (yet still by a country mile the second largest wage budget at this level, possibly even the largest) on about 14 centre-backs during the summer, three different left-back options, and now your third senior goalkeeper of the campaign. The failure to provide wages for quality players rests with your preference for a squad depth in journeymen picks, rather than securing quality in key positions.

Which is why we're second in a crap division and why absolutely nobody is handing out gold stars for that complete and utter non-achievement.

Well if it was not thus and all was perfect what would your purpose in life be, special adviser to Jack Dee?

You should stop responding to the rather large hook that's been dangled in front of you - especially when the comes backs are as woeful as this.

^^^ word salad

You really do have to be lower than a snake's belly, to try and desperately happy-clap a Morton side in, erm, the third tier of Scottish football, massively underachieving by any applicable benchmark. Once that changes you may have scope to make such comments, until then, no dice.

To clarify, the quality of opposition is comparable. That season brechin and stranraer went up and we had McLaren weatherson McAllister Millar. The collapse season, it could be argued that for far compare to that Airdrie team in terms of the experience and attacking threat.

In the end it is comparing apples and pears. I don't fancy our chances in championship with JD in charge but I do think we have a decent shout of winning the league from here.

The only league with as weak a set of contenders as this shitfest was 05-06. A season in which the club's goals should have been achieved at an absolute canter, only for the club to allow not one but two clown managerial appointments to drag in an ocean's worth of deadwood into the first team squad, including a certain striker who floundered up front to no effect. That is certainly comparable.

^^^ word salad

You really do have to be lower than a snake's belly, to try and desperately happy-clap a Morton side in, erm, the third tier of Scottish football, massively underachieving by any applicable benchmark. Once that changes you may have scope to make such comments, until then, no dice.

Oh what an imbroglio of recondite opacity.

^^^ word salad

Why the massive sense of entitlement? Morton were in the Premier League a generation ago. They crashed and burned and will probably not recover for another generation. Should the fans of Clyde, East Fife and Queen's Park be equally scathing about their teams' current position in the bottom tier?

Why the massive sense of entitlement? Morton were in the Premier League a generation ago. They crashed and burned and will probably not recover for another generation. Should the fans of Clyde, East Fife and Queen's Park be equally scathing about their teams' current position in the bottom tier?

You're comparing apples with oranges, i'm afraid.

You're comparing apples with oranges, i'm afraid.

You're right TurbineTon, 2 of the teams quoted by Cardinal Richelieu have won the Scottish Cup much more recently in their history than we have, and the other has won it 10 times. There us certainly an undeserved sense of importance placed on our club by a certain element of the support, particularly given our performance over the last 25-30 years.

I can only speak for myself. I have a sense of entitlement due to the fact that we are a full time team in a part time league. We have probably got the second best support in the league (quantity). Two seasons ago, we were runners up in the championship, although it wasnt too close at the end. We have been told about club development, including a multi level youth and development system. The frustration is that we are not being run efficiently from the top down. Should we be entitled to win the league? No. Should we expect the club to be better? Yes. We should have invested heavily last year, to ensure that we were involved in the best Championship for years.

Queens Park are still amateur, so they should expect to continue to develop players and team. They should expect to bob between the bottom leagues. Clyde and East Fife have been forced to downsize for various reasons. I'd expect them to get better, and be entitled to get promotion into our league.

I think that teams like Ross County and Partick have moved away from us, as well as prt timers like Dumbarton, Alloa and Cowdenbeath. That's disappointing to me personally. I admire each of those clubs, but it makes our slide all the more galling. East Fife and Clyde supporters probably feel the same.

I haven't been that impressed by any of the teams in this league, and the gulf between this and the Championship is huge. More disappointment.

Archived