The Great Big Morton Thread

Why the massive sense of entitlement? Morton were in the Premier League a generation ago. They crashed and burned and will probably not recover for another generation. Should the fans of Clyde, East Fife and Queen's Park be equally scathing about their teams' current position in the bottom tier?

While I don't want to defend the tone of certain posters, I'm not sure you've been paying attention to how unhappy many Clyde and East Fife fans have been in recent years!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only speak for myself. I have a sense of entitlement due to the fact that we are a full time team in a part time league. We have probably got the second best support in the league (quantity). Two seasons ago, we were runners up in the championship, although it wasnt too close at the end. We have been told about club development, including a multi level youth and development system. The frustration is that we are not being run efficiently from the top down. Should we be entitled to win the league? No. Should we expect the club to be better? Yes. We should have invested heavily last year, to ensure that we were involved in the best Championship for years.

Queens Park are still amateur, so they should expect to continue to develop players and team. They should expect to bob between the bottom leagues. Clyde and East Fife have been forced to downsize for various reasons. I'd expect them to get better, and be entitled to get promotion into our league.

I think that teams like Ross County and Partick have moved away from us, as well as prt timers like Dumbarton, Alloa and Cowdenbeath. That's disappointing to me personally. I admire each of those clubs, but it makes our slide all the more galling. East Fife and Clyde supporters probably feel the same.

I haven't been that impressed by any of the teams in this league, and the gulf between this and the Championship is huge. More disappointment.

Sums it up nicely.

Barrowman has played because we have no other forwards.

Duffy will win us the league, I am certain of that.

I think there have certainly been occasions when we didn't need to play 2 up front, and Barrowman has been like a lead weight around our neck in those matches (when we could have done with another attacking midfield player). It's a bit odd to suggest that there hasn't been other options - in a squad that Duffy himself put together.

I think there have certainly been occasions when we didn't need to play 2 up front, and Barrowman has been like a lead weight around our neck in those matches (when we could have done with another attacking midfield player). It's a bit odd to suggest that there hasn't been other options - in a squad that Duffy himself put together.

To be fair, I don't think anyone could have predicted how poor Stefan McCluskey would be. Duffy wouldn't have brought him from Clyde unless he had something to offer, it just hasn't worked out.

Clearly McManus and Barrowman were brought in to be our first choice 2 with McCluskey and McNeil as backup. McNeil also did little to impress when called upon.

Perhaps he could have introduced Scullion earlier than he did but, in a league where the ball spends so much time up in the air, I can understand why he may have had initial reservations about that.

To be fair, I don't think anyone could have predicted how poor Stefan McCluskey would be. Duffy wouldn't have brought him from Clyde unless he had something to offer, it just hasn't worked out.

Clearly McManus and Barrowman were brought in to be our first choice 2 with McCluskey and McNeil as backup. McNeil also did little to impress when called upon.

Perhaps he could have introduced Scullion earlier than he did but, in a league where the ball spends so much time up in the air, I can understand why he may have had initial reservations about that.

Clearly that wasn't the case. McManus only arrived the day before the season started. Very clearly Duffy failed to sign striking targets, McManus coming when he did only saved Duffy from being even more of an embarrassment.

If he plays like he did against Stenhousemuir most weeks it will work out for him. He never stopped running, scored and created two goals and I'd say he was our best player.

He seemed to link well with Jamie McCluskey who was also very good.

I'd be happy with the same team starting against Ayr(if Peaso isn't fully fit) apart from Pepper replacing Miller in CM and Miller moving to CB with Crighton being dropped.

Don't know if Barrowman has been playing when not fully fit as he has been poor for us so far.

We know he can be a good player at this level but he's just not been at the races for us at all.

Glad Duffy has brought in some quality up front and all of a sudden we now have various options.

Once Scullion comes back and a hopefully in form S. McCluskey along with Peaso, Caldwell and Barrowman, we now have the best strikeforce in the league

If he plays like he did against Stenhousemuir most weeks it will work out for him. He never stopped running, scored and created two goals and I'd say he was our best player.

He seemed to link well with Jamie McCluskey who was also very good.

I'd be happy with the same team starting against Ayr(if Peaso isn't fully fit) apart from Pepper replacing Miller in CM and Miller moving to CB with Crighton being dropped.

Our CB pairing has to be O'Ware and Miller. I'd have Lamie at LB so Russell can play on the left wing, McCluskey on the right and Pepper and McKee* in the middle. Milojevic and Crighton are just too disorganised together, and O'Ware - although he has the occasional good game - isn't a centre mid. I've actually been impressed with Miller in the last couple of matches, he doesn't look quite as bad as he did at the start of the season.

*Unless we sign another CM. Speaking of which, what happened to Robbie Crawford?

Clearly that wasn't the case. McManus only arrived the day before the season started. Very clearly Duffy failed to sign striking targets, McManus coming when he did only saved Duffy from being even more of an embarrassment.

On the contrary. The McManus deal was agreed well in advance and he did his preseason at his parent club as you would have expected.

Duffy deserves huge plaudits for identifying the potential when clearly other managers (Championship) failed to do so.

Our CB pairing has to be O'Ware and Miller. I'd have Lamie at LB so Russell can play on the left wing, McCluskey on the right and Pepper and McKee* in the middle. Milojevic and Crighton are just too disorganised together, and O'Ware - although he has the occasional good game - isn't a centre mid. I've actually been impressed with Miller in the last couple of matches, he doesn't look quite as bad as he did at the start of the season.

*Unless we sign another CM. Speaking of which, what happened to Robbie Crawford?

I do think O'Ware and Miller would be good at CB but McKee is useless at CM. Completely slows down the attack and doesn't do much when defending. He was better at RM but I'd prefer, like you said, McCluskey on the right and Russell at LM.

Crawford is back at Rangers now. I don't think Duffy gave him a good chance here as he never played in his favoured position. I'd like to see a bit of experience added to the midfield but I'm not sure who is available. Hopefully Duffy manages to get someone in.

Was told today that we have made contact with Tidser. Whether or not it comes to anything is a different matter.

Hopefully with his pay off, he might be happy to commit to a 6 month deal to try and get us promoted.

Guess it depends if a Ross County/St Mirren/ Dundee type offer him something, which you would prob expect them too...

Was told today that we have made contact with Tidser. Whether or not it comes to anything is a different matter.

Hopefully with his pay off, he might be happy to commit to a 6 month deal to try and get us promoted.

Guess it depends if a Ross County/St Mirren/ Dundee type offer him something, which you would prob expect them too...

Correct.

If Morton were in the Championship, I could just about see Tidser joining Morton on a six month deal. But I think there will be two or three Premiership teams who will offer him something, he was fine for Ross County last season.

I'd have him back at County, but they already have a similar-type player in Martin Woods and there wouldn't be space in the team for both. I'd rather have Tidser though. And I don't know if County will offer him something in the circumstances because there are a few CMs in the squad, but it would be a negligent agent who wouldn't get in touch with Ross County and Partick Thistle, who were also interested this time last year.

Archived