The Great Big Morton Thread

You claimed that the best players were being cherrypicked; off you pop to work out why Scott Taggart doesn't actually support your ridiculous claim.

I was giving you an example of something you said was "unlikely"

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here was me thinking McManus played for us....

I'm not even sure Duffy enquired about McManus I'm pretty sure he was offered to us. McManus only joined us one day before the first game of the season so pretty sure Aberdeen were just trying to ship him out for game time rather than us being after him.

Pretty hilarious that all you could come up with is one player though. Just proves there's absolutely no argument for defending Jim Duffy. He has failed at every club he's been at and he's failed at Morton.

I was giving you an example of something you said was "unlikely"

Scott Taggart isn't one of the best players in this or any other discussion. So your example for Championship club's cherrypicking the best players was in fact an abject failure.

Gutted for you.

O'Ware has been piss poor at CB. I can only remember him have one decent game in that position. There seems to be myth amongst the support that CB is his best position. What that's based on I have no idea

I thought he played well at right back for the most part when he played there later on last season. He's also shown some potential in midfield, but I agree about centre half, I've never been convinced. Although I do think he has developed physically over the past 18 months or so into a player capable of playing in that role but he (like our other defenders) could do with a guiding figure on the park - but maybe that's me making excuses for them not being quite good enough.

I'm not even sure Duffy enquiries about McManus I'm pretty sure he was offered to us. McManus only joined us one day before the first game of the season so pretty sure Aberdeen were just trying to ship him out for game time rather than us being after him.

Pretty hilarious that all you could come up with is one player though. Just proves there's absolutely no argument for defending Jim Duffy. He has failed at every club he's been at and he's failed at Morton.

You have no idea what went on and how McManus arrived here.

Pepper has been a decent signing as has Jamie McCluskey. You don't rate them I take it?

Scott Taggart isn't one of the best players in this or any other discussion. So your example for Championship club's cherrypicking the best players was in fact an abject failure.

Gutted for you.

Well that's your opinion. But you actually make my point for me. Taggart who in your opinion isn't the greatest of players KNOCKED US BACK!

If Taggart is knocking us back what chance of us signing quality?

I thought he played well at right back for the most part when he played there later on last season. He's also shown some potential in midfield, but I agree about centre half, I've never been convinced. Although I do think he has developed physically over the past 18 months or so into a player capable of playing in that role but he (like our other defenders) could do with a guiding figure on the park - but maybe that's me making excuses for them not being quite good enough.

The best he's played for us is when he played at FB

I think it's obvious that we still need a holding midfielder and a centre half.

I've said since he was released that I could see Ross Perry signing for us, it just has a "Jim Duffy signing" label all over it personally. I'm not sure of any other centre halfs however that are available.

On a brighter note, Jim did try and sign Iain Davidson on loan, it may have been permanent deal, I can't remember the facts. I think that would've been another good move, with Davidson playing both centre half and defensive midfield.

These are the two positions we need to strengthen.

"]You claimed that the best players were being cherrypicked; off you pop to work out why Scott Taggart doesn't actually support your ridiculous claim.

I see that we are still playing the " who Duffy should not have signed game" . How about playing the " who Duffy, or the agent we use, should have signed then and now games" . Based on yesterday I suggest we get Coquelin on loan from Arsenal on loan but no doubt if JD doesn't pull that off I can come on here and call him a complete twat.

You have no idea what went on and how McManus arrived here.

Pepper has been a decent signing as has Jamie McCluskey. You don't rate them I take it?

Neither do you, the fact he arrived one day before the first game of the season is conclusive evidence. If Duffy was after him he would've been brought in much earlier to get to know and gel with the squad.

Pepper is a decent signing. But that's a managers job to bring in players that will improve your squad. Duffy has however chosen to go down to league 2 and use our budget on those players, who are clearly not good enough. Also Pepper is one of our better players but Duffy also thinks it's a better option to throw centre backs with zero creativity in the middle of the park over him. Another prime example of how clueless Jim is.

If Duffy actually had any common sense at all he'd think about it and maybe, just maybe try one game with all the players in their natural positions. But no, clueless Jim continues to play everyone out of position. O'Ware must walk into the dressing room on a Saturday completely oblivious to what position he's going to be playing that day.

I'm absolutely certain if Duffy played everyone in their correct positions our results would greatly improve and we'd start climbing the table. With our current form and having seen no sign of improvement we'll struggle to reach the play-offs.

We are into the second half of the season, we don't have a settled defense and we don't have a settled midfield, in terms of personnel or organisation.

Our forward line now seems to offer some hope but that is only true since one week ago.

Our manager had a clean slate and a decent budget to work with but has failed to put a cohesive unit with a sense of purpose onto the pitch.

We are third only because everyone below us is marginally shittier than we are. We are still in contention for the title (statistically at least) and I will continue to support the team on the pitch.

But we all know that...

Well that's your opinion. But you actually make my point for me. Taggart who in your opinion isn't the greatest of players KNOCKED US BACK!

If Taggart is knocking us back what chance of us signing quality?

You make the point about full time players being cherry picked by Championship clubs and then use Scott Taggart as an example.

IIRC, Taggart signed a part time deal with Dumbarton and is working in a hotel. This strikes me as an example of a player choosing to go part time to suit his own needs rather than the scenario you've painted.

If Morton weren't prepared to sign any part time players, he wouldn't have been an option in the first place.

I'm not even sure Duffy enquired about McManus I'm pretty sure he was offered to us. McManus only joined us one day before the first game of the season so pretty sure Aberdeen were just trying to ship him out for game time rather than us being after him.

I'm not really a fan of Duffy but how can you say he has failed at Morton already? Not been great obviously, but failed??

Surely his target before the start of the season was to get us promoted. We are currently in a play off spot and 4 points off the top so to suggest he has failed is somewhat harsh.

He has fecked up a lot of things, notably tactics and his signing policy, but if we do go up this season, which is still a possibility then it wont have been a failure IMO, more met expectations!

We also don't know how the McManus deal came about. Regardless if he chased or Aberdeen offered, Duffy would need to make a judgement on taking him on. and he didn't exactly set the championship alight last season so Duffy does deserve credit for taking a chance on him and it obviously worked well.

If we rightly criticize some of his other signings, Crighton, Lamie, S.McCluskey, Allan, McNeil etc then he does deserve credit for bringing in others like Peaso, McManus, Pepper and to a lesser extent, J McCLuskey.

I hope Duffy turns it round and we go a run, but it will be very difficult. We can't afford to lose many more games to have a chance of the title.

"]You claimed that the best players were being cherrypicked; off you pop to work out why Scott Taggart doesn't actually support your ridiculous claim.

I see that we are still playing the " who Duffy should not have signed game" . How about playing the " who Duffy, or the agent we use, should have signed then and now games" . Based on yesterday I suggest we get Coquelin on loan from Arsenal on loan but no doubt if JD doesn't pull that off I can come on here and call him a complete twat.

The comedy show gets better and better :lol:

You make the point about full time players being cherry picked by Championship clubs and then use Scott Taggart as an example.

IIRC, Taggart signed a part time deal with Dumbarton and is working in a hotel. This strikes me as an example of a player choosing to go part time to suit his own needs rather than the scenario you've painted.

If Morton weren't prepared to sign any part time players, he wouldn't have been an option in the first place.

But you're just assuming that. Maybe he wanted to stay playing at a higher level but had no choice to go part-time? The fact is we don't know.

But you're just assuming that. Maybe he wanted to stay playing at a higher level but had no choice to go part-time? The fact is we don't know.

But you said Championship clubs have been cherry picking the "best" full time players. If that's the case with Taggart and he's one of the "best" to use your words, why wasn't he capable of getting a full time contract in that division?

Surely he either wasn't good enough to get a full time deal in the Championship, where all the best full timers were "cherry picked", or chose to go part time, ruling out a contract at Morton.

Archived