The Great Big Morton Thread

Just to give you an opportunity to backtrack, which will be somewhat less humiliating than persisting with this: are you actually saying that playing in holding midfield is basically the same role as playing at centre back?

Don't think he is saying that at all. Seems to me he is saying that, based on the squad we have , Miller is the best option to play the holding/ break up role as he has some of the attributes required. As I said earlier if Duffy can' t get Coquelin from Arsenal or the chap from Dundee who do you suggest we go for?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said earlier if Duffy can' t get Coquelin from Arsenal or the chap from Dundee who do you suggest we go for?

Whether Dunning can give the names for potential signings is completely irrelevant.

We don't have a decent player for that role, so the pertinent question is, what is Duffy going to do about it?

Whether Dunning can give the names for potential signings is completely irrelevant.

We don't have a decent player for that role, so the pertinent question is, what is Duffy going to do about it?

All very we'll but the tone here is that he is doing nothing because he doesn't know he needs a holding midfielder and that if did he would sign a centre back to fill the position. . All very far from the truth I suspect. Are you saying that Dunning who is so quick to castigate Duffy is equally clueless as to who to go after?

To be fair it's not as embarrassing as when he tried to cite Scott Taggart as one of the best players in the lower leagues.

It has certainly been a Jim Duffy-esque succession of disastrous errors though.

Just to give you an opportunity to backtrack, which will be somewhat less humiliating than persisting with this: are you actually saying that playing in holding midfield is basically the same role as playing at centre back?

Why would I back track? Miller is sitting deep almost in front of the two CB's. Some holding midfielders sit a little further forward, maybe that's why there is so much room in midfield at times.

He's there to protect the defence in a similar way to a CB. He tackles and wins headers and generally breaks up play. That's the role Miller is playing right now - except he's doing it badly.

Why would I back track? Miller is sitting deep almost in front of the two CB's. Some holding midfielders sit a little further forward, maybe that's why there is so much room in midfield at times.

He's there to protect the defence in a similar way to a CB. He tackles and wins headers and generally breaks up play. That's the role Miller is playing right now - except he's doing it badly.

So you're suggesting that we're essentially only playing 1 central midfielder to actually make an impact on the game. Do you think that's an acceptable way for Duffy to set up his team?

Or are you suggesting that Miller should be able to do both the defending side and help the team further up the pitch? In which case, why does Duffy continue to play him there?

You may pick one of these and admit you're wrong, or embarrass yourself further. Your choice.

So you're suggesting that we're essentially only playing 1 central midfielder to actually make an impact on the game. Do you think that's an acceptable way for Duffy to set up his team?

Or are you suggesting that Miller should be able to do both the defending side and help the team further up the pitch? In which case, why does Duffy continue to play him there?

You may pick one of these and admit you're wrong, or embarrass yourself further. Your choice.

No he's playing two central midfielders, but Miller sits deeper allowing the "playmaker" to go further forward and he covers.

Why am I embarrassing myself? If you can't understand the set up we play there's not really a lot more I can say

All very we'll but the tone here is that he is doing nothing because he doesn't know he needs a holding midfielder and that if did he would sign a centre back to fill the position. . All very far from the truth I suspect. Are you saying that Dunning who is so quick to castigate Duffy is equally clueless as to who to go after?

I explained why there's no requirement for fans to suggest alternative signings when criticising a manager's signing policy. Post #1264 at 17:42. You ignored all the points about why fans can't be expected to do that, instead choosing to interpret the post as 'ah, we've got a scouting network, therefore you can't blame Duffy for bad signings.'

Stop digging. This is beyond parody, really dreadful stuff that makes it look like you've got no understanding of football. Admit you've messed up on this one and we can all move on.

When all we get in defence of Duffy are ad-hominem attacks on those criticising him, easily dismantled non-sequiturs and preposterous nonsense about holding midfield being the same role as centre back, you see how hard it is to construct any reasonable defence of his performance in this job.

I explained why there's no requirement for fans to suggest alternative signings when criticising a manager's signing policy. Post #1264 at 17:42. You ignored all the points about why fans can't be expected to do that, instead choosing to interpret the post as 'ah, we've got a scouting network, therefore you can't blame Duffy for bad signings.'

Stop digging. This is beyond parody, really dreadful stuff that makes it look like you've got no understanding of football. Admit you've messed up on this one and we can all move on.

When all we get in defence of Duffy are ad-hominem attacks on those criticising him, easily dismantled non-sequiturs and preposterous nonsense about holding midfield being the same role as centre back, you see how hard it is to construct any reasonable defence of his performance in this job.

I'm not defending Duffy :blink: Unlike yourself who wanted him sacked in October, the jury is out until the transfer window is closed.

That's what I'll ultimately judge him on. He's made mistakes in signings (what manager hasn't?) and he's began to rectify that in the transfer window.

Our forward line is looking good. Midfield needs a bit of experience as does the CB role.

Two decent signings could make a LOT of difference to our team.

Yes, you could well be..

Oh yeah if he ever expressed a constructive thought he might. Instead he stays in his layer and and comes out like a crow to pick over what he thinks is carrion. Would think that on a one v one with JD he would end up as roadkill. His posts have something of a smell of that.

Find all this chatter about fixed centre backs and holding midfielders in the abstract so passé. You need to take a look at how Barcelona, Bayern etc play though it would be interesting to see how they would deal with a bunch of farmers playing hoof the ball. There is no right answer to any of this as long as you win. Unless of course you are JD

Yes, you could well be..

Oh yeah if he ever expressed a constructive thought he might. Instead he stays in his layer and and comes out like a crow to pick over what he thinks is carrion. Would think that on a one v one with JD he would end up as roadkill. His posts have something of a smell of that.

Find all this chatter about fixed centre backs and holding midfielders in the abstract so passé. You need to take a look at how Barcelona, Bayern etc play though it would be interesting to see how they would deal with a bunch of farmers playing hoof the ball. There is no right answer to any of this as long as you win. Unless of course you are JD

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Something like Jim Duffy would batter VT in a square go and the best teams in the world would have to alter their game to beat Ayr. That about cover it? Who did you post as on the Morton board? These levels of retardation have been brought to my attention before. Be honest now.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Something like Jim Duffy would batter VT in a square go and the best teams in the world would have to alter their game to beat Ayr. That about cover it? Who did you post as on the Morton board? These levels of retardation have been brought to my attention before. Be honest now.

:lol::lol::lol:

C'mon LT, you haven't worked it out yet?

You can usually count on you to point everyone in the right direction. :huh:

Archived