The Great Big Morton Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not defending Duffy :blink: Unlike yourself who wanted him sacked in October, the jury is out until the transfer window is closed.

That's what I'll ultimately judge him on. He's made mistakes in signings (what manager hasn't?) and he's began to rectify that in the transfer window.

Our forward line is looking good. Midfield needs a bit of experience as does the CB role.

Two decent signings could make a LOT of difference to our team.

I'm not saying you're claiming that he's doing a good job, but on this specific discussion you are jumping through hoops to defend him, mitigating his policy of persistently having players out of position in entirely unsuited roles by claiming that a centre back and a holding midfielder are the same thing. This is quite evidently ridiculous.

I agree by the way, January has been good so far with MacDonald and Caldwell coming in and Barrowman and McNeil leaving, we're much stronger up front now. It'll count for nothing if we don't get holding midfield sorted though.

Mind that time Duffy played McManus on the wing? How about McKee on the wing? Crawford on the wing? Shouldn't we be signing a winger?

McKee was decent on the wing tbf, far better than he is in the middle and he said he enjoyed playing there far more aswell.

I'm not saying you're claiming that he's doing a good job, but on this specific discussion you are jumping through hoops to defend him, mitigating his policy of persistently having players out of position in entirely unsuited roles by claiming that a centre back and a holding midfielder are the same thing. This is quite evidently ridiculous.

I agree by the way, January has been good so far with MacDonald and Caldwell coming in and Barrowman and McNeil leaving, we're much stronger up front now. It'll count for nothing if we don't get holding midfield sorted though.

What I'm saying is the role currently being played by Miller isn't a million miles away from the role he would play at CB. He sits right in front of the defence about 15 yards in front of the CB's.

He breaks up play, tackles and wins headers - similar to the CB role. Nobody is asking him to play on the wing or be the midfield play-maker.

All I'm saying is he has been poor in that role so far and the thought of putting him further back in defence, in much of a similar role, doesn't fill me with confidence.

Why would I back track? Miller is sitting deep almost in front of the two CB's. Some holding midfielders sit a little further forward, maybe that's why there is so much room in midfield at times.

He's there to protect the defence in a similar way to a CB. He tackles and wins headers and generally breaks up play. That's the role Miller is playing right now - except he's doing it badly.

I get what you're trying to say but it doesn't really stand up for me. Playing holding midfield requires a different positional sense than to playing centre half. Yeah, he needs to win headers and tackles but that's really where the similarity ends and I think it's unfair to criticise Miller for not being very effective in a role that he hasn't played (came on as a sub and played there once or twice for us but had by far his best games at centre half).

To use your logic, Scott Taggart should be as good at left back than he is at right back. It's just not the case because even though the roles are similar, they are not the same and players will be comfortable in their usual roles.

We have conceded 19 goals in 11 away matches this season (1 clean sheet away from home all season). Only the bottom 2 have a worse defensive record away from home.

We seem almost incapable of grinding out 1-0 wins away from home, conceding almost 2 a game. We even capitulated in the second half against Spartans while Duffy simply hoped that we would regain control of the match. Despite bring well into the season now, and Duffy and Hagi having the advantage of working with the players full time, we're still no closer to a workable plan to solve our particular problems away from home. Our problems at home are a little bit different, but getting worse.

The stick a defender in a midfield 4 and hope we concede less goals approach has been a complete failure.

I get what you're trying to say but it doesn't really stand up for me. Playing holding midfield requires a different positional sense than to playing centre half. Yeah, he needs to win headers and tackles but that's really where the similarity ends and I think it's unfair to criticise Miller for not being very effective in a role that he hasn't played (came on as a sub and played there once or twice for us but had by far his best games at centre half).

To use your logic, Scott Taggart should be as good at left back than he is at right back. It's just not the case because even though the roles are similar, they are not the same and players will be comfortable in their usual roles.

But my point is he's getting the basic's wrong. He's not winning either headers or tackles and is completely anonymous in games.

But my point is he's getting the basic's wrong. He's not winning either headers or tackles and is completely anonymous in games.

Well, your point was that centre half and holding centre midfield were basically the same role. I was demonstrating that wasn't the case by applying your logic to a different position, also demonstrating that players will perform differently in different positions no matter how similar you deem the role.

Just find it interesting that a few folk are able to get most information they want from the club. Only asking.

Some people have sources because they are trusted to keep their mouth shut (to an extent) You (and me) are fkn mushrooms. Deal with it.

Archived