The Great Big Morton Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with almost all of that SuperTon. The only part I don't is, I think we'll stumble across the finishing line top of the pile. Purely down to being the best of a shite lot.

The thing I can't get my head around with some of our fans is the acceptance of failure.

My two youngest (twins) sit their 'O' levels (or whatever they are called nowadays) this year. Neither of them want to pass with a B or a C, but are determined to get straight A's. I wouldn't expect anything less from them.

The same attitude should apply to a full-time football club in a part-time league. Why some Morton fans would be happy with a C pass is beyond me.

Based on what exactly though? What are people seeing that I'm not?

We've lost 8 games so far this season and being just over half way through the season we're on course to lose 15. We also have 2 wins in our last 7 which is not even mid-table form.

Those are facts to suggest we won't win the league, what facts is there to suggest we'll even finish third?

So let's measure the level of Management Teams competence by reference to who you think they should have signed,, actual names and details of availability would be useful.

This argument is trotted out any time any manager is criticised for his signings. It's a total non-sequitur, the basic premise of which is that no one has a right to question a manager.

Of course no fan is going to be able to come up with a whole squad worth of alternative signings, with exact details of availability, budget and the likelihood of any given player signing. A fan isn't a football club. Fans don't have scouting networks, fans don't have contacts with agents, fans don't have precise details of budgets, both in terms of what other clubs can pay relative to theirs and what the player's wage demands are.

It's the responsibility of the managerial team and club to identify alternatives, not fans who don't have the same resources at their disposal. If you can see that a player isn't good enough you have every right to ask why a manager signed him whether you can suggest an alternative who was available or not. If you’re suggesting that fans have no right to criticise unless they can provide the name of alternative signings and details on how affordable and likely to sign they were, you’re saying that fans have no right to criticise at all.

It’s almost as if there are some Morton fans who want all criticism to stop and the club to be entirely free from any kind of scrutiny whatsoever.

Glad to see that there is recognition that this is a club issue extending to the scouting system and use of agents and pre-contract agreements etc. Is it really reasonable to expect Duffy to sort all that out in six months , I am not sure.

Glad to see that there is recognition that this is a club issue extending to the scouting system and use of agents and pre-contract agreements etc. Is it really reasonable to expect Duffy to sort all that out in six months , I am not sure.

Well that's a spectacular way to twist my point.

Well that's a spectacular way to twist my point

Sorry did not intend to. I agree with a lot of what you say I your posts. I just think that there is a lot more to than JD alone is 100% crap which is the daily litany on here. Anyone given the job in the circumstances he inherited would have found it difficult and would have made mistakes. Just asking that you people stop making lazy negative assumptions and have some objectivity. Still find it amazing that Hagi does not feature in any of the harangues which suggest the hatred of Duffy is a personal issue for some.

Based on what exactly though? What are people seeing that I'm not?

We've lost 8 games so far this season and being just over half way through the season we're on course to lose 15. We also have 2 wins in our last 7 which is not even mid-table form.

Those are facts to suggest we won't win the league, what facts is there to suggest we'll even finish third?

Purely gut feeling. I'm seeing the same as you. Don't get me wrong though, it'll be horrid to watch and probably go right down to the wire.

Your picking and choosing the facts to suit your negative agenda. Yes eight defeats is disgraceful for a full time team against part timers, but look at it this way. Morton, Stranraer and Forfar have failed to win 10 games, Brechin and Peterhead have failed to win 11 games, Dunfermline have failed to win 12 games. In the shitiest of all shite seasons, it's still all to play for.

The downside of winning the league is we get to keep Duffy for the Championship. That's scary.

Michael Miller knocked back our (very good part-time) offer to stay full-time with Morton so it goes both ways, IMO Miller is the best out the lot of them. I find it strange that Duffy is being cut some slack by some for struggling to find players good enough, for a man that's been in the game as long as he has he should really have a wide range of contacts to help him out. Ian Murray has hee-haw contacts in the game and he's been able to build fairly successful squads over the last 2 years.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that he continues to play players out of position.

Well that's a spectacular way to twist my point

Sorry did not intend to. I agree with a lot of what you say I your posts. I just think that there is a lot more to than JD alone is 100% crap which is the daily litany on here. Anyone given the job in the circumstances he inherited would have found it difficult and would have made mistakes. Just asking that you people stop making lazy negative assumptions and have some objectivity. Still find it amazing that Hagi does not feature in any of the harangues which suggest the hatred of Duffy is a personal issue for some.

I don't know Duffy from Adam but I still think he's a useless c**t who needs to get tae f**k.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that he continues to play players out of position.

Michael Miller plays about 15 yards ahead of where he would play if he were playing CB. He would be doing almost exactly the same job of winning headers and tackles.

He's not there to be a play-maker and spread the ball about, he's like the 3rd CB except he's a little further forward than the other two CB's.

It's not exactly playing out of position or being asked to do something differently from being a CB.

So far he's anonymous in that role, in that he's not tackling or winning lots of headers.

Why anyone is touting him to play further back in defence given his form so far really baffles me

Michael Miller plays about 15 yards ahead of where he would play if he were playing CB. He would be doing almost exactly the same job of winning headers and tackles.

He's not there to be a play-maker and spread the ball about, he's like the 3rd CB except he's a little further forward than the other two CB's.

It's not exactly playing out of position or being asked to do something differently from being a CB.

So far he's anonymous in that role, in that he's not tackling or winning lots of headers.

Why anyone is touting him to play further back in defence given his form so far really baffles me

Epic fail.

That's an absolutely ridiculous argument, probably not dissimilar to the one Jim Duffy would use.

Let's play Ricki Lamie in centre mid too, it's basically centre back so he'll be fine.

Just to give you an opportunity to backtrack, which will be somewhat less humiliating than persisting with this: are you actually saying that playing in holding midfield is basically the same role as playing at centre back?

F*cking hell :lol:

Archived