Should clubs be fined for multiple postponements?

In my humble opine, Elgin done Shire a turn in calling this early. My suggestion, raised in the thread regarding extended winter breaks, involved the use of holiday Mondays for at least 2 possible fixture cancellations.......bear in mind, Clyde offered to play Elgin three years ago in a cricket-style day/nighter to aleviate making two unneccesary trips or keeping part time sportsmen off their work for no great reason. I'd rather punish Montrose fans for their utterly pish patter when forced to share the terracing wae them, or Albion Rovers as a club for the falling debris you need to dodge in winds of over 8mph. Far more severe if you ask me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What holiday Mondays?

There is no holiday Monday in Scotland between the August bank holiday (barely into the season) and May Day (usually 2 days after lower divisions finish).

Part of me used to think they should leave 1 or 2 blank weekends in the spring. But unless you lengthen the season you can only create those by scheduling 1-2 matchdays directly onto midweek which rather defeats the purpose of the exercise... Also you'd probably have arguments about which games should get to use them. And clubs without games to rearrange would go a couple of weeks without a scheduled game.

Brechin had this issue recently where a drainage blockage outside of the ground caused our pitch to be unplayable to the level that we had to play 'home' games at Forfar. Was Wed & Sat football for almost a month which took it's toll on the season.

Must admit that I can't remember the final outcome though. I think a fine was issued & that it worked out to be worth our while to pay for the external issue ourselves to end it all. Whole pitch and undersoil was ripped up and relaid too which didn't come cheap.

Brechin had this issue recently where a drainage blockage outside of the ground caused our pitch to be unplayable to the level that we had to play 'home' games at Forfar. Was Wed & Sat football for almost a month which took it's toll on the season.

Must admit that I can't remember the final outcome though. I think a fine was issued & that it worked out to be worth our while to pay for the external issue ourselves to end it all. Whole pitch and undersoil was ripped up and relaid too which didn't come cheap.

Aye but somehow one midweek game (while raining) managed to go ahead against Ayr <_<

was in some nick

post-21687-0-65702500-1419120586_thumb.j

post-21687-0-33441000-1419120756_thumb.j

What holiday Mondays?

There is no holiday Monday in Scotland between the August bank holiday (barely into the season) and May Day (usually 2 days after lower divisions finish).

Part of me used to think they should leave 1 or 2 blank weekends in the spring. But unless you lengthen the season you can only create those by scheduling 1-2 matchdays directly onto midweek which rather defeats the purpose of the exercise... Also you'd probably have arguments about which games should get to use them. And clubs without games to rearrange would go a couple of weeks without a scheduled game.

We don't get the end of August holiday as statutory.....i was referring to Easter Monday and the Mayday as well. But you're right....make teams travel ridiculous distances where they can be avoided just for the sake of it.

Easter Monday isn't a holiday in Scotland, we get January 2nd instead... It may be a local holiday in certain council areas but that's not much use when clubs and players are drawn from all parts.

Unless you leave blank weekends then such midweeks can't be avoided, that's just the reality.

Easter Monday isn't a holiday in Scotland, we get January 2nd instead... It may be a local holiday in certain council areas but that's not much use when clubs and players are drawn from all parts.

Unless you leave blank weekends then such midweeks can't be avoided, that's just the reality.

The Monday is a public holiday. The 2nd Jan holiday is in lieu of Good Friday.

The Monday is a public holiday. The 2nd Jan holiday is in lieu of Good Friday.

It isn't... Good Friday is a public holiday in Scotland and Easter Monday is not, the reasons for which are complicated but have their roots in our Presbyterian heritage versus England's Episcopalian one. Our exact public and bank holiday arrangements are quite complex, e.g. here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_and_bank_holidays_in_Scotland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_the_United_Kingdom

Since Easter 1996 the Scottish clearing banks have harmonised the days on which they are closed with those in England and Wales and are therefore closed on Easter Monday and the last Monday in August (rather than the first). This has resulted in a number of local authorities creating a public holiday on Easter Monday. Previously Easter Monday had not been a public holiday in Scotland. There have been many protests about banks opening on 2 January since this decision was taken. This has resulted in many banks now providing only a limited service on 2 January, with most members of staff still entitled to the holiday.

A couple of seasons ago the SPL (as was) agreed to a St Johnstone-Dundee United derby on TV, on the Easter Monday afternoon. They soon had to retract it and reschedule for the evening, after the complaints about working people and children being unable to make it.

In the part of Scotland I went to school in, it was just a normal working and school day on Easter Monday, and still is. We used to come home to 'Final Score' covering English league matches. In 2016 it's a normal school day in Aberdeenshire, Dundee and the Scottish Borders - and in other areas it'll be within the fortnight school holidays, but not a local holiday.

Go on then, tell us the master plan.

Play summer football, games will never be postponed or that with reduced prices so that every club has 20,000 there every week

10,000 watching on jumbo screens when they play away

shorts and taps aff all round

What holiday Mondays?

QP asked Elgin, funnily enough, to play up there on an Easter Monday afternoon a few years ago rather than the next night and they refused. Couldn't be anything to do with us finding it more difficult to send up a team on a Tuesday night, so no one should event think that.

If a club has the means to prevent a game getting called off and they don't, then they should be punished no matter if it's the first time or not.

If they don't have the means, it shouldn't matter how many times. No punishment. Because it serves absolutely no purpose.

Livingston were bad for that. Despite having the under soil heating they couldn't be arsed turning it on for league games.

I'm not aware of the holidays situation everywhere, but my understsnding was tbey were pretty much divvied up.as holidays in each country, or UK-wide. I've never once been at school on Easter Monday, have always worked on Good Friday, and never had a day in lieu for not receiving either end of May or August Mondays. I'm not going to tell Martin Prince Jibee that he is wrong, as just because its a holiday for some isnt necessarily the same all round....apparently. But what do i know, having lived under the two largest public administratiins in the land all my days!!!

I'm just observing the facts - Easter Monday is not a Scottish public holiday, it is just a local holiday in certain parts of the country (particularly in Strathclyde). Imagine a Peterhead-Berwick game on Easter Monday 2016 - many adult home fans and all kids would be at work/school, ditto Scottish-based away fans!! In theory your attendance would comprise the unemployed and retired, employees of UK banks, and Berwick fans from Northumberland.

Our public holidays are the same England & Wales except we take a later August bank holiday and get January 2nd instead of Easter Monday. And the fairly recent St Andrew's Day situation.

Of course some employers, unis and councils don't shut now. I have a relative whose office is closed on very few weekdays - but he must take bank holidays etc. from a more generous holiday entitlement, if he wants them. Alternatively, he can work those days, and take his days-off some other time when it suits.

So all that adds-up to making the use of Easter Monday quite unlikely. I don't recall much happening on May Day, either, though I recall a Reserve Cup Final a few years back.

Archived