The Crazy Gang

We Are Pars Fans!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time when they won the cup I thought good on the club even though at the time I knew what they were all about. You'll never see a club doing what they did coming through the leagues and win the FA Cup and stay in the top flight for as long as they did.

But looking back and especially after what was said on that documentary they were an absolute disgrace nothing more than a bunch of bullies whose game plan soundly revolved around brute force and intimidation.

What Fashanu was on when he was interviewed I don't know if he was trying to make a last gasp attempt to win knob of 2014 because if he was he would win hands down - it was cringe worthy. I knew him and Lawrie Sanchez didn't get on at all and probably because he wouldn't toe the line with the bully boy tactics within the club.

Vinnie Jones couldn't play football and neither can he act. The footage of him around the Cup Final sums him up nothing but a retard.

I remember reading Ian Holloway's book about life when he was there and his wife was being treated for cancer at the time and Wally Downes asked him what it was like to be married to a baldy bird. Olly sums them up in the book.

Good documentary mind, I enjoyed it brought some memories back though.

Vinnie Jones 'hardman' was knocked about by the suave Tameer Hassan. 8)

Heard a story which is true about him when he was at Leeds from a few different Newcastle players over the years.

Before a game at Elland Road when the visiting team used to arrive on the coach there was a gym near the entrance and he would showboat giving it what for on the bench press.

Apparently this day John Burridge challenged him to a bench pressing competition saying he could lift double what Jones was lifting and he scarpered. The genuine hard men of that era had the mark of them and they wouldn't mess with them.

Heard a story which is true about him when he was at Leeds from a few different Newcastle players over the years.

Before a game at Elland Road when the visiting team used to arrive on the coach there was a gym near the entrance and he would showboat giving it what for on the bench press.

Apparently this day John Burridge challenged him to a bench pressing competition saying he could lift double what Jones was lifting and he scarpered. The genuine hard men of that era had the mark of them and they wouldn't mess with them.

:lol:

Fashanu came across very badly,just an unpleasant bully and a legend in his own mind.its just a shame the ian Holloway story,made in an earlier reply,never came up,it would have exposed their banter for the bullying it probably was.I get what fashanu was saying about being driven and needing equally driven people around them but i suspect most of the bullying going on was about what its always been about-some inadequate getting off on pushing someone else about and getting away with it

I was a season ticket holder for Wimbledon for many years. A good starting points is to completely ignore anything that Fash says, it’s fantasy, and Vinnie is just as bad. The Crazy Gang preceeded this pair, they didn’t invent it.

As mentioned above Terry Gibson has already come out on his blog and criticised the programme, as have a number of others.

http://www.terrygibson.london/#!Crazy-Gang-Documentary/c1zqn/90957FC4-BAF2-4F60-8BCE-D4094277F586

I also understand that John Scales is not very impressed at the editing and the way it made him look. The programme was set-up to portray a certain image of the club at that time (the comic strips being a perfect example) and it seems to have succeeded going by some comments above. Bobby Gould was largely ignored in favour of sensational nonsense from Fash.

Wimbledon were never the prettiest of teams to watch, but they had talented players and they were also more than capable of “mixing it” with the best, Plough Lane was never the easiest of places to visit [ it was a bit of a dump] and you could see a lot of teams just weren’t up for it, that was how they achieved what they did which will never be repeated.

The programme however was happy to portray a violent image off and on the park that is simply inaccurate and probably untrue. BT Sport had the chance to make a compelling documentary about what is a great story, they dropped the ball in favour of sensationalism.

But looking back and especially after what was said on that documentary they were an absolute disgrace nothing more than a bunch of bullies whose game plan soundly revolved around brute force and intimidation.

If that is all they were, they would not have climbed the leagues, never have won the FA Cup, and the likes of Nigel Winterburn, John Scales, Terry Phelan and Dennis Wise would never have had the careers they did.

Laurie Cunningham (RIP) played in the Cup Final, I doubt he matched the image the programme wanted you to believe.

Even considering the embellishments, Fashanu came across as a sociopath and Downes as a straight up cuunt of a man. The way the Scales stuff was so blatantly editorialsed made it pretty clear that the documentary was in part, well, blatantly editorialised.

Watched the 50 greatest FA cup moments last night, and Wimbledon's win was in among them. Vinny Jones was one of the talking heads on it and he was on about his tackle on Steve McMahon. Jones recollection was of seeing McMahon's legs going way above his head, and of the physio having to come on and treat him and that McMahon had no idea where he was after the tackle. Except they play the clip and although it's a bad tackle (straight red nowadays), McMahon hits the deck and immediately gets up and runs away!

My favourite bit of the documentary was when they were talking about the private Eric Young - "He would come in, do his job and GTF. No-one knew if he was married or single or where he lived". :lol:

Fashanu is a right tosser

Completely.

Apparently this day John Burridge challenged him to a bench pressing competition saying he could lift double what Jones was lifting and he scarpered.

I'd LOVE to have seen that.

Archived