Juniors Live on TV

Loughal

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting the right folk would be the biggest challenge imo, Students that are suppose to being doing the Hurlford website, no harm to them, haven't done much as been holiday the last two weeks and still need to learn how to use the software, what the club want etc so further meetings required, also they move onto the next year of their course or go onto uni, work commitments, summer holidays. Don't get me wrong there is prob a couple of students who would snap your hand off but defo need proper coordination for it not to be a shambles

Definitely, the way to go would have to be in a collaboration with the colleges. If it was to be part of the course work and submit-able as such then there would be a greater emphasis placed on it. If it were merely a student voluntary thing then the quality etc would be variable (at best...) I am sure that collaboration could be worked out though as giving the students exposure to a 'live' as in an actual product to be used would have great benefit to them. I have no media background but a football highlights programme would surely involve many of the disciplines being taught - presentation, camera work, direction, production, editing, researching etc

Streaming live matches has been an interesting experiment and I didn't think it would generate this much debate, but it's good that it has. I'm sure that all of us camera people see what they do as a positive advert for their club and Junior football but there are supporters who have their concerns not just about streaming but also the existence of highlights.

When I started producing highlights there were fans who were concerned about them giving other teams an advantage of being able to watch how we play before playing us but this is contrasted by our players and management who watch the highlights to improve themselves. I am sure that most teams now wish they had camera people recording their matches for them to watch.

As for streaming matches, I knew it was going to be interesting to see what reaction I got. The reality is that if you like watching Junior football and you can get to a match, then you really would not want to watch a stream vs going to the match. The stream is a very basic one camera output with no commentary, no replays, no score card. Blink and you will have missed the goal. The stream is mainly the footage which ends up on the editors floor. e.g. the parts when I'm not keeping up with the play or the camera is pointing at the sky while I'm trying to eat a pie.

What supporters have not quite got to grips with yet is that the stream gives them access to watch a replay while they are attending the match. e.g. was that a penalty? connect to the stream and rewind/forward to the incident and see for yourself without needing to wait for highlights.This is where a stream is useful and not the pain of watching some raw footage at home and listening to me slurp a bovril.

"YouTube Live" gives viewer stats for the stream so I can see who is watching and the type of feed. For most games there is 2 or 3 people watching on a phone and I know that they are usually on holiday sitting in a bar which has free wifi, sitting at home babysitting or elderly and unable to watch their beloved team. I have never heard of anyone deciding to not go to a match and watch the stream instead. If they did, then I suspect they would be seriously disappointed.

As for breaking rules by streaming, I had any feedback on that yet, if I am breaking rules then the experiment ends. I think what us camera people are doing is slowly pushing Junior football to more people who hopefully will start attending matches. Sometimes it is difficult how far we can push before it becomes uncomfortable to more traditional supporters, but hopefully some supporters enjoy what we do.

Ffs quality post mate,quality post.

Is there anybody from the Sjfa on here reading this?.If so get it brought up at a meeting and get it discussed at the very least

I do hope there is! FFS it's twenty plus quid to go and watch a 'big' teams plus transport food etc

For a tenner you get in a programme a pie and a bovril plus change! You also get to stand where you want and move elsewhere if some numpty is bursting your heed!

It's a fantastic product that's not undersold as such just not sold at all!

Ffs quality post mate,quality post.

Is there anybody from the Sjfa on here reading this?.If so get it brought up at a meeting and get it discussed at the very least

I do hope there is! FFS it's twenty plus quid to go and watch a 'big' teams plus transport food etc

For a tenner you get in a programme a pie and a bovril plus change! You also get to stand where you want and move elsewhere if some numpty is bursting your heed!

It's a fantastic product that's not undersold as such just not sold at all!

I agree with nugent4nil''s both posts on the matter. As a refugee sickened by the charlatans that put Rangers in the grubber I have turned to to the juniors for my weekly football fix, The legalities or otherwise of live juniors does not bother me. I've had a brief glance at the game and my initial thoughts are that the Linlithgow Rose v Sauchie would be a great service for junior fans if house bound or their region was hit by bad weather. N4nil is spot on with the value and freedom of movement at a junior match. Indeed as a pensioner my entry plus a P&B is nearer a fiver, plus two quid for a raffle and programme.

There looked to be a decent crowd at the Rose match. I believe it is a great advert for the game. Just hope that Tom Johnstone does not step in and ban it.

Sauchie Web's excellent summing up their approach to all things involved in supplying film service just explains it it all

Streaming live matches has been an interesting experiment and I didn't think it would generate this much debate, but it's good that it has. I'm sure that all of us camera people see what they do as a positive advert for their club and Junior football but there are supporters who have their concerns not just about streaming but also the existence of highlights.

When I started producing highlights there were fans who were concerned about them giving other teams an advantage of being able to watch how we play before playing us but this is contrasted by our players and management who watch the highlights to improve themselves. I am sure that most teams now wish they had camera people recording their matches for them to watch.

As for streaming matches, I knew it was going to be interesting to see what reaction I got. The reality is that if you like watching Junior football and you can get to a match, then you really would not want to watch a stream vs going to the match. The stream is a very basic one camera output with no commentary, no replays, no score card. Blink and you will have missed the goal. The stream is mainly the footage which ends up on the editors floor. e.g. the parts when I'm not keeping up with the play or the camera is pointing at the sky while I'm trying to eat a pie.

What supporters have not quite got to grips with yet is that the stream gives them access to watch a replay while they are attending the match. e.g. was that a penalty? connect to the stream and rewind/forward to the incident and see for yourself without needing to wait for highlights.This is where a stream is useful and not the pain of watching some raw footage at home and listening to me slurp a bovril.

"YouTube Live" gives viewer stats for the stream so I can see who is watching and the type of feed. For most games there is 2 or 3 people watching on a phone and I know that they are usually on holiday sitting in a bar which has free wifi, sitting at home babysitting or elderly and unable to watch their beloved team. I have never heard of anyone deciding to not go to a match and watch the stream instead. If they did, then I suspect they would be seriously disappointed.

As for breaking rules by streaming, I had any feedback on that yet, if I am breaking rules then the experiment ends. I think what us camera people are doing is slowly pushing Junior football to more people who hopefully will start attending matches. Sometimes it is difficult how far we can push before it becomes uncomfortable to more traditional supporters, but hopefully some supporters enjoy what we do.

Great post. I wouldn't have the patience to do what you do but I do recall Mark Bradley being interested in someone filming whole games so the team could review specific points within a game so there is an interest from the playing side.

Our guys have been excellent in providing highlights for our support and the post match interview has been really helpful. If you look at the Bo'ness thread there are loads of questions asked and comments made about why the manager did or didn't do something. We used to have the same but there is far less speculation now because most of the feedback is given in interview. Obviously our interviews are generally sympathetic towards our manager but we've been lucky to have 2 guys who are not afraid to speak their mind since we started it.

It is a good promotional idea. The USL - Pro which is basically the third tier in USA streamed all their games live last season on a You Tube Channel and they believe brought in new fans to games. The North American Soccer League (Second Tier) tried it the season before for some games and response was good enough that they were able to charge a fairly small season subscription to all games live this last season and they were free to watch when the game was over. One way round any "live streaming" problems is simply delay the start of the stream until 10 or 15 mins in then technically it is not live.

Do seem to remember a couple of seasons ago someone showing videos of HFL games of their team, don't think was even streaming, got into trouble with the HFL beaks.

I noticed the 20 second delay on the transmission and did quickly realise that I could have my action replay if I was fast enough on my phone. I couldn't be bothered trying to rewind as the phone control is too fiddly but simply viewing the stream ten seconds after the incident allowed me a second view. Interesting.

Your equipment seemed to me to be of a professional standard (although I realise that the streaming was lo-fi due to uplink speeds). Was it expensive and is it yours?

I noticed the 20 second delay on the transmission and did quickly realise that I could have my action replay if I was fast enough on my phone. I couldn't be bothered trying to rewind as the phone control is too fiddly but simply viewing the stream ten seconds after the incident allowed me a second view. Interesting.

Your equipment seemed to me to be of a professional standard (although I realise that the streaming was lo-fi due to uplink speeds). Was it expensive and is it yours?

Yes, there is always an encoding delay plus you can add an additional delay of 30 or 60 seconds on YouTube Live.

The equipment I have is mine which I have added to over a few years, The camera is high end consumer and the field recorder, monitor and video streamer are more professional level but not top end as that's way out of my budget.

You can stream live using laptops, iphones etc. All it takes is someone with a smart phone, external zoom lens and a 3G/4G internet connection and they could theoretically broadcast live. Blocking or banning live broadcasts nowadays it going to be very hard as technology can be very cheap and it does not take a rocket scientist to set it up.

Strangely enough, the young lad who films our game was doing his best to hook his new Go pro to his ipad for the purposes of watching his behind the goal footage live from the stand. It's maybe only a small step to doing that via his You Tube channel. It's all too much for my head though.

Yes, there is always an encoding delay plus you can add an additional delay of 30 or 60 seconds on YouTube Live.

The equipment I have is mine which I have added to over a few years, The camera is high end consumer and the field recorder, monitor and video streamer are more professional level but not top end as that's way out of my budget.

You can stream live using laptops, iphones etc. All it takes is someone with a smart phone, external zoom lens and a 3G/4G internet connection and they could theoretically broadcast live. Blocking or banning live broadcasts nowadays it going to be very hard as technology can be very cheap and it does not take a rocket scientist to set it up.

what camera is it and if recording at 1080 what size of memory card do you need per game, how many gigs per game ect

what camera is it and if recording at 1080 what size of memory card do you need per game, how many gigs per game ect

The camera is a Canon LEGRIA HF G30.

I put a 64GB card in it which records at 1080 50p @35Mbps, but that is just my backup recording as I use an Atomos Ninja 2 HDMI field recorder as the main recorder which records 1080 25p @ 225Mbps onto an SSD in Prores 422 HQ.

I put a 64GB card in it which records at 1080 50p @35Mbps, but that is just my backup recording as I use an Atomos Ninja 2 HDMI field recorder as the main recorder which records 1080 25p @ 225Mbps onto an SSD in Prores 422 HQ.

I haven't the faintest idea what any of this is. Crack on chaps.

good coverage SW,easy for you to say,lol.

Suspect the above may be a coded message for ISIS sleeper cells !!!

I've never missed a competitive game in years. But should that occasion happen. I would rather watch a live stream than finding out about the game on here. Keep up the great work Sauchie Web & hopefully I'll never need to use it :-D

The highlight packages are all that's required and work.the streaming is tom kite.there I've said it .

I completely agree. It's not a mega bucks outside broadcast with multiples of cameras and tens of people and a satellite uplink. That's what made me chuckle with this thread, I would never want to watch a basic uplink stream unless I had no other option. Unfortunately there are times when some supporters have no other option, when they now live abroad, when they are too ill to get to the match etc and the stream helps them still remain part of junior football, but it's not something I would go out my way to watch.

Archived