St Mirren v Aberdeen, 10 January

A comfortable win in very testing conditions. Can't ask for better than that.

I thought we started poorly and Saints looked the brighter team, but the two goals changed it totally and we grew strongly. The second half was a joy to watch bar the failure to get a third goal, though not for the want of trying.

I thought our control and game management was good, particularly in the second half. Tactically we weren't at all stretched. A solid all round performance, with credit in particular going to McGinn and Considine, both of whom were outstanding.

St Mirren weren't that bad, but they just lack someone who can finish the ball. That chances are still being created to a reasonable degree should be encouraging to despairing Buddies. Whisper it but I thought Goodwin had a fairly good afternoon. Find a striker who can knock in 10 in this half season and you will be fine.

The crowd was higher than I expected, great travelling support and a decent St Mirren crowd, particularly in the West Stand.

How we didn't score more in the second half is down to our own profligacy and Mark Ridgers.

All in all, a solid afternoon's work.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought saints started fine enough and we were very slack, the two quick goals changed it and as usual we should have scored a few more, saints had a few chances and a decent striker would have made a difference.

Considine and Mcginn were very good and Jack came right into it second half.

Thought Wilde was a lazy b*****d and unsurprisingly the saints fans in the west stand went ballistic at him at one point, fighting for their lives and he gives up and wanders about instead of chasing back.

Weather was a bit mental with a wee nip in the air. We were passsing Airdrie in a snow storm and were told the game was off, mild panic for a few minutes trying to talk ourselves out of going to the Airdrie peterhead game before we found out it was pish and the game was still on, had a good laugh in the ground, a good day out

I had concerns about complacency today but thankfully I was wrong. Great to see McGinn respond to all the pish this week in such a manner too.

Definitely, the worry among us pre match hinged greatly on the first game against Saints in September and how we threw the 2 points away that night. Thankfully a more mature performance.

My only criticism today was that Barry Robson came on and not for the first time this season, looked totally off the pace of the game. Father time has caught up with Barry now I am afraid.

I was really impressed by Aberdeen yesterday. They looked like a team of winners where we looked like a team trying their best. That defence was so solid, right across the back four, which gave the midfield and attack confidence to flood forward at every opportunity. They always looked like they could score.

I hope they go on and win it, best team I've seen this season.

To be fair to Robson he is not long back after a lengthy time out and hasn't played much at all. I agree that he is done though, just doesn't have the legs. I still think he is good for coming on in these situations to provide a bit of experience and leadership though, for this season anyway. I don't think we should keep him on next season in a playing capacity if he hasn't retired. Maybe a coaching role?

He's definitely handy for the games the likes of Dundee away in the League where we had a one goal lead late on and he had the experience to keep the ball in the corner. He was great last season but this season things have caught up with him.

I'd definitely be looking to keep him within the club as his experience is invaluable. Jack has certainly benefitted strongly from it over the last 18 months.

After watching the highlights on teuchter TV from last night, I'm surprised no buddie is moaning about the foul on McLean in the run up to our first goal. Looked to me that Taylor pushed him then the ball broke to us, it went up to McGinn and he scored with that deliberately misleading shot.

It's a mark of title contenders to play not particularly well, but still to win with minimal of fuss.

Aberdeen done that yesterday, textbook performance.

Although I was desperate for three points, I'd now like to add to the people saying the following:

Go on Aberdeen, f**k them up!

After watching the highlights on teuchter TV from last night, I'm surprised no buddie is moaning about the foul on McLean in the run up to our first goal. Looked to me that Taylor pushed him then the ball broke to us, it went up to McGinn and he scored with that deliberately misleading shot.

It was a foul, but the big number 5 was getting away with them all through the match. At one point our Mcginn went past him and he held him back, yet the foul was given against our McGinn. Frustrating as hell, I alluded to the fact the current dons team is a bit like an OF team and the fact they got away with a lot of fouls in my post yesterday. The push on McLean was annoying at the time and was a foul but it's the sort of thing that happens week in week out to us at the moment, so no point in bleating on about it.

Archived