The Tell Him He's Pelé League 2 Half-Term Report Card

Alright lads, we've reached the mid-point of the season so your pals at Tell Him He's Pelé have written up the League 2 report card. We've looked at all ten teams in the division and analysed, ranked and rated them - CLICK.

As always, if there are mistakes or errors, please let us know and we'll correct them. It's the only way we'll learn.

If you feel inclined, please follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

God bless.

Alright lads, we've reached the mid-point of the season so your pals at Tell Him He's Pelé have written up the League 2 report card. We've looked at all ten teams in the division and analysed, ranked and rated them - CLICK.

As always, if there are mistakes or errors, please let us know and we'll correct them. It's the only way we'll learn.

If you feel inclined, please follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

God bless.

Excellent stuff, as always.

On Rovers, they very rarely play a 4-4-2, or an uncomplicated formation. 4-2-3-1 is most common, but Saturday's game against Annan saw what looked like a 4-3-3, albeit with lots of swapping and hard work off the ball going on.

One other tweak may be to mention just how quickly Chaplain has got to nine league goals; he didn't actually play a league game until the 18th of October due to Commonwealth Games commitments initially, and difficulty breaking into the team thereafter.

In addition to Snuffy's amendments:

Mick and Ross Dunlop – the Grant and Phil of League 2 – are a superb pairing at centre-back and the underrated Alan Reid continues to perform with quiet distinction at right-back. Left-back Kyle Turnbull has been missed but Josh Mullin is doing a reasonable job while he recovers from injury. Gary Fisher, a rampaging screening midfielder, also deserves credit for stopping opposition attacks before they even happen.

Alan Reid is hardly underrated- he's been a fans' favourite for years and hardly goes a game without getting praised.

Mullin "doing a reasonable job" at LB is stretching the truth- see ongoing debates on any recent Rovers thread.

No idea where you got the Fisher stuff from, to be honest. He's mostly been rotten.

An enjoyable read nonetheless.

I think we all know that's because up until only a few years ago he wasn't the complete right back he is now. Even in the promotion and survival seasons he practically got a nosebleed when he crossed the halfway line, but he's clearly worked hard at that, added an attacking dimension to his game and now he's better than ever. Sadly I dare say he's now too old for any full-time team to take a punt on.

Hopefully next season he'll be playing in the third tier with the chance to prove that he can perform against Ayr, Livi, Morton and Dunfermline- maybe that would change a FT manager's mind.

I don't really get the Fairbairn bashing in this or the last one. He barely played at the start of the season, it's strange he's been blamed in two reports for it now. You got it right when you mentioned the problem at left back - surely the easier assumption to make on our problems was the fact we've not had a settled number 1.

I don't really get the Fairbairn bashing in this or the last one. He barely played at the start of the season, it's strange he's been blamed in two reports for it now. You got it right when you mentioned the problem at left back - surely the easier assumption to make on our problems was the fact we've not had a settled number 1.

Thanks for the feedback. Your point about the goalkeepers is a fair one.

But for the avoidance of doubt:-

• Berwick had played seven league games at the point of the first report.
  • Fairbairn started the first four.
  • I never saw anything of the opening game, but of the three others he was solely culpable for conceding three goals and jointly culpable with Bald for another.
  • He came on as a sub against Annan at 0-0. Within two minutes he had lost his man for 0-1 and daydreams to allow Mackay to run off him for the second.
  • He was an unused sub for the next game, and not in the match squad for the one after.

That was why he was singled out in the first report and mentioned in the second as having overcome his error-prone start to the season.

Thanks for the feedback. Your point about the goalkeepers is a fair one.

But for the avoidance of doubt:-

• Berwick had played seven league games at the point of the first report.
  • Fairbairn started the first four.
  • I never saw anything of the opening game, but of the three others he was solely culpable for conceding three goals and jointly culpable with Bald for another.
  • He came on as a sub against Annan at 0-0. Within two minutes he had lost his man for 0-1 and daydreams to allow Mackay to run off him for the second.
  • He was an unused sub for the next game, and not in the match squad for the one after.

That was why he was singled out in the first report and mentioned in the second as having overcome his error-prone start to the season.

Fair enough, I assumed you were just making assumptions, somewhat ironically I suppose!

I can see why you'd highlight the Annan game, but there's a point in the highlights you can pause and see not one player past the penalty spot, with if I remember rightly Mackay at the back stick himself. I'm unsure how that was his fault. It's also worth noting that goal came from the far post on the left of our defence. When he came on he was being played as right wing back, a position he's never played. There's an argument it was more mismanagement than personal error.

Still, don't bother using highlights of our next trip to Annan in a couple of weeks. We're always fucking shite there.

Archived