Keep, Rid or Undecided

STV's article detailing the players out of contract at your club can be found here: Link.

The players out of contract for us at the end of the season are:

David Clarkson, Jim McAlister, Kyle Letheren, Kevin McBride, Willie Dyer, Simon Ferry, Gary Irvine, Martin Boyle, Phil Roberts, Iain Davidson, Peter MacDonald. (Source is STV)

Here's my list. Perhaps a few controversial entries, but hopefully you can at least understand my reasoning.

Keep:

Gary Irvine - Our current best RB and best LB based on form. Expect we'll bring in a naturally left sided defender at some point which will see Irvine drop to the bench, but Irvine is back to his PotY form and is probably the current first name on the team sheet which is excellent to see from our player with the most appearances for us in the squad. Useful player and excellent back-up!

Jim McAlister - I'm not one of those people who thinks it's either between a headless chicken style player like McAlister or a class but lackadaisical such as Harkins. I'd hope we'd bring in a player that would result in McAlister not being a first pick next season, but he's a decent player to have around.

Martin Boyle - It's looking unlikely he'll stay considering the circumstances of his loan deal, but I'd hope he's back with us next year and if his decision making has improved, he'd be one of the most dangerous players we possess in the squad.

Undecided:

David Clarkson - Other than goals, he doesn't offer us a whole lot. Goals are an extremely valuable commodity, however, and when he was in the mood earlier in the season, he looked hungry and was giving some known solid CH's a torrid time of it in the air and physically which we haven't seen since the days of Cabalerro, or perhaps more suitably, Willie Falconer. But right now, he's offering even less than a man down and as he's not scoring either I wouldn't be heartbroken if he moved on at the end of the season.

Phil Roberts - Came to the end of my tether a few times with Roberts perceived attitude, but no denying when the boy wants to, he can play! Sort his attitude and we have a good player on our hands, fails to do this in the last 6 months of his contract and he'll be lucky to find another club at even the level below.

Simon Ferry - One of the most exciting players we signed in the Summer. Was seen as a blow to Portsmouth leaving as they rated him highly despite his injury problems. Unfortunately for the home town boy, it's not worked out so far because even when he's not been injured, he's offered very little. Surely there is more to come and once he gets a settled run in the side, he will look like the player we expected him to be? Erring on the side of 'Rid' but not 100% sure as of yet.

Kyle Letheren - I see Scott Bain as our current number one for the foreseeable future. Schenk has proven that having a good back-up is vital in this league. As most people know, I'm not Kyle's biggest fan and don't think he's exceptional for this division. He's probably on a very decent (First choice keeper's wage) and due to the fact we have Kyle Gourlay (Whom is highly rated) as a keeper for the long term future, perhaps we could get a decent perhaps older second choice keeper who'd be happy to accept a lower wage than Kyle? Undecided because it depends on who we can bring in.

Rid:

Kevin McBride - A player that seems to love the club, but well down the pecking order, we simply have better than him at the club. Would be sorry to see him go, but it's not as if he'll have time on his side either as along with Peaso he is the oldest member of our squad.

Willie Dyer - Championship level LB. We need better, particularly if Hartley wants to succeed with his narrow formation.

Iain Davidson - Solid player, but not the most reliable at CH and not good enough at CM. Another decent servant that I'd be sorry to see leave, but not up to the standard IMO.

Peter MacDonald - Unless he goes on a goalscoring run from now until the end of the season, I feel it's time to get rid of the cult hero. Great goalscorer and still a viable option for us this season but probably one of our decent earners and is getting on a bit, not saying he's past it by any stretch but he'll be better served in the Championship becoming another cult hero at another club.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep: Kallum Higgginbotham, Paul Gallacher, Abdul Osman, Jordan McMillan, Steven Lawless, Stephen O’Donnell.

Undecided: Conrad Baltoni, Chris Duggan, Dale Keenan, Ben Richards-Everton.

Rid: Christie Elliot, Scott Fox, James Craigen, Nathan Eccleston, Sean Welsh.

The players out of contract for us at the end of the season are:

David Clarkson, Jim McAlister, Kyle Letheren, Kevin McBride, Willie Dyer, Simon Ferry, Gary Irvine, Martin Boyle, Phil Roberts, Iain Davidson, Peter MacDonald. (Source is STV)

Probably keep Clarkson, bin the rest.

Out of contract at Firhill

Keep

O'Donnell- no brainer, hopefully he'll stay

Gallacher- easily good enough for at least another year as backup and GK coach at least if not first choice ahead of Scully when he returns

Lawless - has had a great season so far after disappointing last year, wouldn't have offered him a deal last May so fair play for turning it around

Elliott- he's here for his entire career I think, now filling in at full back and his versatility will surely mean he stays as a squad player at the very least

Higginbotham- he'll be off though

Osman- hopefully we can keep him, he's been excellent but again wouldn't be surprised if bigger clubs are sniffing.

Undecided

McMillan- [comment removed for legal reasons]. Based on his on the field performances I'd keep him, let's leave it at that.

Richards-Everton- haven't seen him, no idea how good or otherwise he's been at Airdrie and Lindsay might have overtaken him in the pecking order

Duggan- again, hasn't been given a chance or deemed good enough as yet

Balatoni- will he be happy to be 3rd choice behind Seaborne and Frans if they stay fit?

Rid

Welsh- shame, but he's far too injury prone to justify a new deal

Craigen- nice lad, tries hard, but for me he's not going to cut it at this level

Fox- with Scully coming back and Gallacher still better than him he'd be 3rd choice.

Eccleston- will be surprised if he's still here in February never mind May.

Probably good that I'm more worried about losing our good players than having a whole load to bin.

Keep:

David Goodwillie and Nicky Low

Rid:

Russell Anderson (with a heavy heart, it appears injuries have finally got the better of him)

Barry Robson

Clark Robertson

Undecided:

Craig Storie - haven't seen much of him tbh

Keep:

Kallum Higginbotham, Paul Gallacher, Christie Elliott, Abdul Osman, Scott Fox, Conrad Balatoni, Steven Lawless, Stephen O'Donnell

Rid:

James Craigen, Nathan Eccleston, Sean Welsh

Undecided:

Dale Keenan, Chris Duggan, Ben Richards-Everton

Let's not go there:

Jordan McMillan

Of course, Brian Graham is a bit different as he isn't actually our player currently. However, he's in the final year of his contract at United so I've decided to include him. Frazer Wright has had a great season, albeit largely aided by injections. I would definitely like to keep him if he is able to retain that level of performance as another year passes. It's not a sure thing though.

James McFadden has played his part and shown his class on a few occasions. His fitness is obviously the main concern and any new deal would undoubtedly be a gamble. I like Lee Croft and wouldn't be averse to seeing him being offered a new deal. He can sometimes be a handful for defenders and he works hard in tracking back, but he doesn't pose too much of a goal threat and I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced by a younger and quicker player in the summer.

It's sad to say it, but Murray has provided virtually nothing since his return from injury. He doesn't seem to be the player that he was beforehand. He doesn't fit into our current midfield and makes no impression when coming on from the bench, something you'd expect him to do given his reputation as a player who likes to put himself into the thick of the action. We'll surely have to get rid unless he undergoes a miraculous recovery and returns to form.

I don't particularly like Brian Graham and wouldn't be too upset if he left. Most of his goals have come from the penalty spot and he hasn't scored from open play for ages now. He is also a bit of a moaner and a diver, but he could certainly be a good option from the bench if we signed him as a back-up. He's certainly not the worst striker we've had and he links up well at times.

If it was up to me I would;

Keep

Chris Millar, Brian Easton, Alan Mannus, Scott Brown, Dave Mackay

Get Rid

Steve Banks, Gary Miller, Gary McDonald, Liam Caddis, Lee Croft,

Undecided

James McFadden, Murray Davidson, Tam Scobbie, Frazer Wright, Brian Graham

I suspect that McFadden will leave and Wright might retire from the undecided's list. TW has confirmed we'll try and get Graham permanently. Can't say I'm sold on him completely, but he's managed to score a few goals. Davidson hasn't shown much for quite some time for us. I'm not sure if he still has it after his injury. Scobbie I suspect will be kept on. He's turned into a very decent defender, but again we'll need to see how he comes back from his injury.

I suspect that Mannus will be the most difficult one for us to deal with in terms of an extension. He's said he wants to try his luck in England on numerous ocassions and you have to feel he's getting into now or never territory. Easton and Millar have been excellent this season and Brown has loads of potential. Mackay is getting on a bit now and isn't as effective as he was, but he's our club captain and is still more than capable at playing at our level.

The 'get rid' list is quite easy for me to be honest. We have Zander Clark who will return for Banks and we don't need 3 senior keepers at the club. Gary Miller, Gary McDonald and Liam Caddis aren't good enough and Lee Croft will be one of our highest earners and he just hasn't looked the same player as we had in his first spell. We need to remove some of the higher paid players - we need more energy and pace in the team and I don't think any of those guys would be missed, whilst they'll all be earning good money.

Agree with this. Clark Robertson is absolutely shite, get him to f**k.

Was it Storie that came on for one first half in the league a while ago then practically disappeared?

Could well be.

We've had such a settled team recently that the likes of Storie are barely getting a sniff.

Kyle, on 08 Jan 2015 - 16:11, said:

If it was up to me I would;

Keep

Chris Millar, Brian Easton, Alan Mannus, Scott Brown, Dave Mackay

Get Rid

Steve Banks, Gary Miller, Gary McDonald, Liam Caddis, Lee Croft,

Undecided

James McFadden, Murray Davidson, Tam Scobbie, Frazer Wright, Brian Graham

I suspect that McFadden will leave and Wright might retire from the undecided's list. TW has confirmed we'll try and get Graham permanently. Can't say I'm sold on him completely, but he's managed to score a few goals. Davidson hasn't shown much for quite some time for us. I'm not sure if he still has it after his injury. Scobbie I suspect will be kept on. He's turned into a very decent defender, but again we'll need to see how he comes back from his injury.

I suspect that Mannus will be the most difficult one for us to deal with in terms of an extension. He's said he wants to try his luck in England on numerous ocassions and you have to feel he's getting into now or never territory. Easton and Millar have been excellent this season and Brown has loads of potential. Mackay is getting on a bit now and isn't as effective as he was, but he's our club captain and is still more than capable at playing at our level.

The 'get rid' list is quite easy for me to be honest. We have Zander Clark who will return for Banks and we don't need 3 senior keepers at the club. Gary Miller, Gary McDonald and Liam Caddis aren't good enough and Lee Croft will be one of our highest earners and he just hasn't looked the same player as we had in his first spell. We need to remove some of the higher paid players - we need more energy and pace in the team and I don't think any of those guys would be missed, whilst they'll all be earning good money.

Isn't Banks also your GK coach? And at 43 next month, you have to assume that he'll turn to solely focus on that job at some point?

Agree with this. Clark Robertson is absolutely shite, get him to f**k.

Was it Storie that came on for one first half in the league a while ago then practically disappeared?

He played v Partick Thistle away last season when we won 3-0.

He's had injury problems since.

Isn't Banks also your GK coach? And at 43 next month, you have to assume that he'll turn to solely focus on that job at some point?

I think he shares the role with some other guy. If he stays, I can't see it being as a player and I don't think we'd have enough signed goalkeepers to justify 2 goalie coaches.

Keep

Antonio Reguero, Mark Brown, Ben Frempah, Filip Kiss, Richard Brittain, Graham Carey

Rid

Scott Boyd, Terry Dunfield, Joe Cardle, Steven Ross, Jake Jervis

Undecided

Paul Quinn, Darren Barr, Steven Saunders, Rocco Quinn, Darren Maatsen, Liam Boyce

Assuming they stay longer than January, I'd also keep Woods and put Toshney in undecided

*edit* I'd keep Gardyne and Irvine as well.

Keep

Josh Meekings - doesn't get the credit he deserves, solid player, doesn't rack up the cards like Warren, one of the leagues best CBs and he's only 22 I think.

Nick Ross - quite harshly treated by most of our fans and Yogi, he is a much better player than Vincent and is equally as good as Williams. He will probably be punted but I'd like him to stay.

Undecided

Danny Devine - looks good when he plays but unfortunately rarely plays

Liam Polworth - brilliant player, very underrated but rarely plays, I think his time is up

Lewis Horner - Who the f**k?

Marley Watkins - he can be good but if he is going to start playing games with the club then he can f**k off

Rid

David Raven - has a decent game every 10 games or so but is usually a very shite player and a complete bombscare

Billy McKay - useless, people will argue, new style of play blah blah blah. He's not getting the goals, end of story.

Graeme Shinnie - he is probably gone anyway

Keep:

Callum Butcher. Elvis like comeback shoring up our midfield inadequacies. Perhaps not the long term answer but a good player to have in the squad.

Sean Dillon. Played some of his best football this season, and that Irish accent when you phone Tannadice ("press t'ree for all ticket enquiries") is just heavenly.

GTF:

Mark Wilson. Finished.

Brian Graham. Pish.

Michael Gardyne. Meh.

Undecided:

Radoslaw Cierzniak. An enigma in goalie gloves. Some great saves but throws one in the net on a semi regular basis. He'll probably sign for another club anyway, and doubt many will be too fussed.

Keith Watson. I'd probably steer towards keeping 'Keef', but his career at United has been hit and miss. Injury concerns too. Good luck to him if he goes.

Jordan Moore. Don't know enough about him.

N/A:

Gary Mackay-Steven. The Did-Dee slayer. Keep, obviously, but he's off.

Billy McKay - useless, people will argue, new style of play blah blah blah. He's not getting the goals, end of story

Sixth in the Scottish Premiership's top goalscorers table at the halfway point and he's "not getting the goals"?

Archived