Keep, Rid or Undecided

KEEP

Lee Erwin - I think the big man has the potential to turn into a top quality SPL Striker. Should maybe be starting in front of Sutty just now in fact.

Iain Vigurs - He divides our support no end with his lackadaisical style of play and his perceived lack of effort but I think he's absolutely class. He's head and shoulders above everyone else in our squad in terms of footballing ability, plus he's one of few players we have with some creativity.

Lionel Ainsworth - He's not been half as effective as last season but I think he's still worth keeping. He can be devastating when he's at it and can be a real goal threat.

John Sutton - He's been far from brilliant this season but the service he's been receiving is basically non-existent. If you put balls into the box he'll put them in the net. Proven goal scorer at this level who's gives 100% each week.

Zaine Francis-Angol - He's far from the finished article (very far in fact) but he shows the odd flashes of ability and still has age on his side. He's a winger and not a left back (where he's often played). If he were to play there he could be a player.

UNDECIDED

Paul Lawson - I've liked the look of him a lot whenever I've seen him play, which is only a few times, but that there's the problem. He's spent way more time on the treatment table than he has on the pitch. Not sure if he's worth the gamble.

Josh Law - Took a bit of a slagging earlier on in the season but has turned in a few decent performances of late. If he was played at RB consistently he could be decent.

Fraser Kerr - I understand a lot of our fans frustrations with him but I think he can be decent. Has been played out of position a lot, but I've seen him have a few cracking games as a centre half. His height and pace makes him useful.

Stuart Carswell - He's decent at everything but good at nothing. He can fill a gap but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to command a start every week. I'd rather young Jack Leitch play than him.

RID

Simon Ramsden - Neither a right back or a centre back. Has been right jailbait at times and finds himself injured a lot. If rather other/younger players got a chance.

Gunnar Nielsen - Shite

Bob McHugh - He's been appearing on the 'Rid' list for years now.

Adam Cummins - Has spent an awful lot of time injured recently and I really don't think he's good enough.

Ross Stewart - We already have a young keeper in Twardzik. We need a more experienced keeper to give him competition. There won't be room for him.

Please Note: I've been very kind to a lot of these players. If Barraclough were to let them all go I wouldn't be too bothered. It'd just mean a massive rebuilding job though.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be quite as scathing about our squad as some others but there is a fair argument that after not a lot of movement last summer - with only one permanent signing before the window closed - we probably need to freshen things up a bit this time round. With 22 players in the squad, that obviously means guys going out before players can arrive. Not sure I'd be quite as wholesale as others though and would be more inclined at this stage to move out those who don't feature so much and then look to improve the squad and team from there. We aren’t having a bad season so whilst it's fine saying dump Lee Croft, for example, he's played in 26 of our 27 games this season so you are relying on finding a better player than him, otherwise you are weakening the team and the squad unnecessarily. The same applies to Frazer Wright, although I understand both the argument about his age and the fact we potentially have Scobbie as a replacement. Just feel it’s a risk we don’t need to take if you ditch guys like Croft and Wright at this stage.

I would be looking to keep all the guys that we're relying on at the moment but maybe with the intention of some of them playing a more peripheral role next season: Mackay, Easton, Mannus, Croft, Millar and both Scobbie and Wright.

With the younger guys who are part of the squad, you need to ask if they can progress even if they aren’t heavily involved at the moment. Gareth Rodger is no use to anyone if he isn't fit and you have to question how good he can become when he's missed so much football? Scott Brown has over a year on Liam Caddis and I think there is still scope for improvement with him but Caddis will be 22 in September and whilst I have sympathy for him as he should have been more involved a couple of years ago, he has stagnated through lack of opportunity. In saying that, he’s played enough this season to suggest he’s not really good enough.

The remaining players fall into different categories. Miller and McDonald are fringe players and they are possibly the type you can maybe afford to lose and look to improve on. McFadden and Davidson are talented but there are doubts over how effective they are now. Think it’s hard to make a judgement on either at the moment as they are capable of playing a big part before the season is out. At this moment in time, I probably wouldn’t keep Davidson. McFadden has done alright but with MacLean back, it’ll be interesting to see how much of a part he has to play in the next few months.

Obviously Steve Banks’ age is a significant issue but if Clark isn’t playing at Saints, is he not better served gaining further experience elsewhere? It is a concern that Mannus has no real competition for his shirt but generally he’s shown a level of professionalism that suggests that isn’t a huge problem.

I wouldn't be quite as scathing about our squad as some others but there is a fair argument that after not a lot of movement last summer - with only one permanent signing before the window closed - we probably need to freshen things up a bit this time round. With 22 players in the squad, that obviously means guys going out before players can arrive. Not sure I'd be quite as wholesale as others though and would be more inclined at this stage to move out those who don't feature so much and then look to improve the squad and team from there. We arent having a bad season so whilst it's fine saying dump Lee Croft, for example, he's played in 26 of our 27 games this season so you are relying on finding a better player than him, otherwise you are weakening the team and the squad unnecessarily. The same applies to Frazer Wright, although I understand both the argument about his age and the fact we potentially have Scobbie as a replacement. Just feel its a risk we dont need to take if you ditch guys like Croft and Wright at this stage.

I would be looking to keep all the guys that we're relying on at the moment but maybe with the intention of some of them playing a more peripheral role next season: Mackay, Easton, Mannus, Croft, Millar and both Scobbie and Wright.

With the younger guys who are part of the squad, you need to ask if they can progress even if they arent heavily involved at the moment. Gareth Rodger is no use to anyone if he isn't fit and you have to question how good he can become when he's missed so much football? Scott Brown has over a year on Liam Caddis and I think there is still scope for improvement with him but Caddis will be 22 in September and whilst I have sympathy for him as he should have been more involved a couple of years ago, he has stagnated through lack of opportunity. In saying that, hes played enough this season to suggest hes not really good enough.

The remaining players fall into different categories. Miller and McDonald are fringe players and they are possibly the type you can maybe afford to lose and look to improve on. McFadden and Davidson are talented but there are doubts over how effective they are now. Think its hard to make a judgement on either at the moment as they are capable of playing a big part before the season is out. At this moment in time, I probably wouldnt keep Davidson. McFadden has done alright but with MacLean back, itll be interesting to see how much of a part he has to play in the next few months.

Obviously Steve Banks age is a significant issue but if Clark isnt playing at Saints, is he not better served gaining further experience elsewhere? It is a concern that Mannus has no real competition for his shirt but generally hes shown a level of professionalism that suggests that isnt a huge problem.

I get your thinking with regards to Croft, but what tangible contribution has he really made for us this season? He's got a couple of assists and puts in maybe 1 or 2 effective crosses in each game and hasn't scored a goal of any kind since his loan spell with us. We already have O'Halloran, Wotherspoon, D Easton and Lappin signed up for next year, so he's the only real saving we can make in the wide areas. I don't think his general play merits a new deal at this stage. As you know, I'm not an FBLC hater or anything, but I'd rather sacrifice him for someone with genuine pace. If the manager has the budget available to him at the start of the window, I'm confident he'd be able to sign someone of that ilk. Wright has been excellent since his injection, but you have to wonder if he can sustain that for another 18 months? I'd love to say yes as he has been an outstanding player for Saints, but I think that's a big ask for him. Wouldn't be against him staying, but you'd maybe question how effective he'd be if he wasn't an automatic first pick? Can't see it being easy for him to pick up the pace of games., especially if he's taped together.

I have absolutely no idea why we gave McDonald a contract with that bloody automatic extension in it. O'Halloran I get, he's a young player and a potential game changer. Davidson is a top player when he's on his game he's probably too good for this level, so I get that too. But Gary McDonald?

I don't think 6 or 7 out is really wholesale changes when it's put into its proper context either. Croft aside, they're all fringe players and we currently have adequate cover for Croft's position too. Those 6 or 7 could easily be replaced by 4 or 5 higher quality players and guys like Easton, Kane, Clark etc can fill the squad places left by the players we wouldn't replace.

Given that Partick's top scorers only have 3 apiece this season and they've still managed to stick 7 goals past us in 2 games, I really wouldn't like to see what they'd do to us with Mckay in the team.

If we stick with McKay next season, we will be as toothless in attack as we have been this season. There will be better available players that suit Hughes' style of play. This is my reasoning before RiG appears with a smart arsey comment.

I wouldn't be quite as scathing about our squad as some others but there is a fair argument that after not a lot of movement last summer - with only one permanent signing before the window closed - we probably need to freshen things up a bit this time round. With 22 players in the squad, that obviously means guys going out before players can arrive. Not sure I'd be quite as wholesale as others though and would be more inclined at this stage to move out those who don't feature so much and then look to improve the squad and team from there. We aren’t having a bad season so whilst it's fine saying dump Lee Croft, for example, he's played in 26 of our 27 games this season so you are relying on finding a better player than him, otherwise you are weakening the team and the squad unnecessarily. The same applies to Frazer Wright, although I understand both the argument about his age and the fact we potentially have Scobbie as a replacement. Just feel it’s a risk we don’t need to take if you ditch guys like Croft and Wright at this stage.

With the younger guys who are part of the squad, you need to ask if they can progress even if they aren’t heavily involved at the moment. Gareth Rodger is no use to anyone if he isn't fit and you have to question how good he can become when he's missed so much football? Scott Brown has over a year on Liam Caddis and I think there is still scope for improvement with him but Caddis will be 22 in September and whilst I have sympathy for him as he should have been more involved a couple of years ago, he has stagnated through lack of opportunity. In saying that, he’s played enough this season to suggest he’s not really good enough.

The remaining players fall into different categories. Miller and McDonald are fringe players and they are possibly the type you can maybe afford to lose and look to improve on. McFadden and Davidson are talented but there are doubts over how effective they are now. Think it’s hard to make a judgement on either at the moment as they are capable of playing a big part before the season is out. At this moment in time, I probably wouldn’t keep Davidson. McFadden has done alright but with MacLean back, it’ll be interesting to see how much of a part he has to play in the next few months.

Obviously Steve Banks’ age is a significant issue but if Clark isn’t playing at Saints, is he not better served gaining further experience elsewhere? It is a concern that Mannus has no real competition for his shirt but generally he’s shown a level of professionalism that suggests that isn’t a huge problem.

522fc14148426f458e432ca3b8ae67591724d274

Mckays dip in form coincides with foran being out injured.

Foran returning could see us propel further up the league

Mckays dip in form coincides with foran being out injured.

Foran returning could see us propel further up the league

Although I love Richie Foran and I agree that he is close to our best player, Mckay was pretty bad for most of the second half of last season, I'd suggest it coincides with Hughes' appointment more considering Foran was playing under Hughes for a while.

I get your thinking with regards to Croft, but what tangible contribution has he really made for us this season? He's got a couple of assists and puts in maybe 1 or 2 effective crosses in each game and hasn't scored a goal of any kind since his loan spell with us. We already have O'Halloran, Wotherspoon, D Easton and Lappin signed up for next year, so he's the only real saving we can make in the wide areas. I don't think his general play merits a new deal at this stage. As you know, I'm not an FBLC hater or anything, but I'd rather sacrifice him for someone with genuine pace. If the manager has the budget available to him at the start of the window, I'm confident he'd be able to sign someone of that ilk. Wright has been excellent since his injection, but you have to wonder if he can sustain that for another 18 months? I'd love to say yes as he has been an outstanding player for Saints, but I think that's a big ask for him. Wouldn't be against him staying, but you'd maybe question how effective he'd be if he wasn't an automatic first pick? Can't see it being easy for him to pick up the pace of games., especially if he's taped together.

It's a fair point about how effective Wright would be without regular games to keep everything well oiled but still feel it's a risk if you let Croft go. He's a big part of the team, no pun intended, and if the manager gets his replacement wrong, you have weakened the side when you didn't need to. I'd rather we used the space created from Caddis and McDonald, for example, going to bring in just one central midfielder - we already have Millar, Lappin and Brown in there - and competition for Croft.

Keep: Osman, Higginbotham, Elliott, O'Donnell, Gallacher, Lindsey (fairly sure he will be OOC too)

Undecided: Richards-Everton, Duggan, Balatoni, Fox (keep if Scully goes out on-loan again), McMillan (keep if we sort out the current situation)

Rid: Keenan, Wilson (same as Lindsey), Craigen, Eccleston, Welsh

What's happened to Fox? Doesn't seem that long ago that he was called up to the Scotland squad.

You've got to remember, he got that call-up when Gilks was out and Gordon was unavailable, and Bell dropped to Rangers, so Scotland didn't have a usual suspect to call upon as third choice. There was a space for a new keeper to stake his claim - so that call up was probably deserved considering he was in good form.

After he came back from Scotland duty though, he had a few poor matches and lost his place to Gallacher (although I think it was actually down to injury). Gallacher came in and did very well, but was then dropped for Fox after a while. One or two more mistakes later, I think Thistle fans lost a bit of confidence in Fox, and felt Gallacher should've been in goal since he did nothing wrong. Gallacher's eventually won his place back, but Fox's recent form was actually not bad, and I think any suggestion that Fox isn't a good goalkeeper for this level would be wrong. But he makes you nervous at crosses and has a couple of other areas of his game he could work on.

We've got two good goalkeepers though - Gallacher's just slightly more solid/reliable, I feel.

Although I love Richie Foran and I agree that he is close to our best player, Mckay was pretty bad for most of the second half of last season, I'd suggest it coincides with Hughes' appointment more considering Foran was playing under Hughes for a while.

Found this on twitter

post-28028-0-61972900-1420750548_thumb.p

Looks like I might be on to something..

Found this on twitter

attachicon.gifwp_ss_20150108_0001.png

Looks like I might be on to something..

That's a fair point, but Foran has been out about 75% of Hughes' tenure and McKay's drought began as soon as Hughes took over, so I reckon he probably played 10-15 games with Foran under Hughes and still probably scored about 2.

But it does make sense in that Foran is a much more attacking player than most of our options currently.

Keep:

Commons- yeah hes a bit older and now less versatile but we will struggle to find anyone as effective as hes been the past few seasons. Ife can fit him and Johansen higher up the field we will be a formidable force.

Rid:

Kayal - cant seem to keep fit more than half a dozen matches, a real shame really as on his day he could really close out games for us in Europe.

Twardzik- was hyped up, got an injury, doesnt appear to be the same. Wont get enough game time here to try and change it round.

Fasan- signed up as a third choice goalkeeper, has remained that.

Chalmers- dont know agreat deal about him, think hes a left back which would mean hes not up to much given how we have not had anyone seen as a back up to izzy for years, whos had some pretty rough patches in that time.

Herron- seems a decent prospect but we have mcgregor and henderson breaking through now so cant see him making it here Im afraid.

George- was meant to be promising but had a horrific leg break, needs game time, wont get it here.

Zaluska- i actually dont mind him but the longer these back up goalies remain, the more stale they seem to become.

Happily see us get rid of Banks, as next season Clark should really be pushing Mannus for the starting place, and I feel like we'd get a better coach anyway.

Miller I actually like, but he's not done enough to warrant a starting place and quite frankly we'd be better looking for someone who can, especially with the ageing defence. Talking of which I feel like this is Wrights last year, I'd like him to stay, as he can cope at this level without legs but he's hobbling about for the last half hour anyway, and I'd be surprised if he lasts the season. Mackay, Scobbie and Easton are all important players we should keep.

In midfield we should let go of Croft, Caddis, McDonald and Davidson. Croft just doesn't perform enough, one good cross, every so often or a good game every now and then just isn't good enough. I'm aware he's favoured because he's willing to work back, but that shouldn't be the stand out quality for a winger, and its not as if he's miles better at it than the others anyway. Caddis just simply isn't going to make it here, he gets a hard time with barely any playing time but he rarely does anything noteworthy when he's on the pitch anyway, the fact his last man tackle on Sunday is likely the biggest contribution he's ever made in a Saints shirt should probably say it all, feel like he's only being kept around as he's come through the ranks, has six months to prove us wrong. McDonald adds nothing apart from when he's playing further forward, and we have numerous players better in that position than him. Davidsons becoming the next Kevin Moon, we simply can't afford to be paying players hospital bills for 11 months of the year, time to cut our losses and move on, as he'll never be the player he was physically or mentally. Millars a no brainer for a new contract, while Browns shown enough to suggest he'll be useful at this level and can improve.

Graham I'd be happy to keep as back up, he'll get you double figures which is a massive thing, if he was signed as a stick on starter I'd be disappointed though. McFadden just simply won't perform enough to warrant a place either, sadly, as theres flashes of absolute genius in there, the legs have gone though.

KEEP

Wylde - When fit and on form he is an asset. Injuries seem to occur a lot but he is a pacey winger. He brings balance and threat to the team.

Osbourne - If he was guaranteed to be fit every week he probably wouldn't be playing at a club like ours. No use to us if hes on the sidelines for most of the season but is a good player. Worth the risk imo.

McGinn - No brainer. One of the best young talents in the country. Hasn't been at his best this season but we know what he is capable of. Sadly he'll be off to a much bigger club in the summer.

Tesselar - Not been spectacular since his return but has been solid and steady enough. Provides decent cover as a centre back and has got a good tussle going on with Kelly for the left back slot.

GET RID

McAusland - Not up to it I'm afraid. Not as bad as some make out but not as good as others who defend him make out. Centre half has been our Achilles heel for a few years now. This season was his chance to show he is a leader, sadly he has made too many mistakes. He will never be the commanding centre half that we hoped he would become.

Kello - Don't know what has happened to him this season. He will be on a big wage, Ridgers has came in and looked assured. We won't miss him like I thought we would.

Marwood - Don't need to explain this one.

Ball - Signed for us well overweight, he has shed the weight and scored a couple of goals but doesn't offer the team anything. He is not mobile and can't hold the ball up. Most teams play 1 up front, he needs a partner to do the running for him.

Thomas Reilly - Sadly i think injuries ruined any chance he had at progressing. Looked a decent prospect too. Not done enough to justify a new contract.

Ross Caldwell - Looked ok when given a chance, really raw but had potential. Hasn't kicked on since his double against Dunfermline, another striker who can't score goals but to be fair hasn't played much which in itself tells its own story.

Unsure

Thommogod. Obviously for sentimental reasons I would love to see him back fit and banging in the goals for us again. Sadly I fear he may be finished. If he can get fit again and still offer something to the team then its a no brainer, I hope we see him back to his best but it will be asking a lot :( .

Don't know who else is out of contract.

It's a fair point about how effective Wright would be without regular games to keep everything well oiled but still feel it's a risk if you let Croft go. He's a big part of the team, no pun intended, and if the manager gets his replacement wrong, you have weakened the side when you didn't need to. I'd rather we used the space created from Caddis and McDonald, for example, going to bring in just one central midfielder - we already have Millar, Lappin and Brown in there - and competition for Croft.

It's all about risk and reward. I know he's played a lot of games this season, but I'm still not sure he'd be that much of a miss. He's played in all but one game, but how many of those games did he actually play the full 90 minutes? I'm not sure he's effective enough in his role.

I'm unconvinced with Low. A lot of endeavour but don't know if he is really good enough. It's hard to tell, he's done well most of the times I've seen him but a bit too committed if you like, he seems moments away from a booking or red card all the time.

So did a young Willie Miller, and Neale Cooper throughout his time with us.

Archived