Hypothetical - Ayrshire/Central leagues

glensmad

I certainly did my friend and the only bus present was the team bus.

There were as many Bankies fans at the game as Troon fans because we had no game that day!

Troon are on the up because someone is putting money in.

Its a bit like Hurlford,money is going in and paying players but nobody is going to watch them.

I find it all a bit bemusing when this happens in the Juniors as it can only ever be a short term thing.

Its not sustainable and WILL end,so whats the point?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes, and the tragedy is that it's a scenario played out decade after decade: nothing being done to build solid long term sustainability, but a child's like view of "if you build an unbeatable team, they will come".

No they won't, because to the swinish multitudes it's still Mickey Mouse football in Donald Ducked "grounds" - all they'll get is a few fickle fans wanting the reflected glory. The tragedy is those spunking their money away in this fashion like Geordie Walker of old don't seem to care, it's all about the here and now bragging rights.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes, and the tragedy is that it's a scenario played out decade after decade: nothing being done to build solid long term sustainability, but a child's like view of "if you build an unbeatable team, they will come".

No they won't, because to the swinish multitudes it's still Mickey Mouse football in Donald Ducked "grounds" - all they'll get is a few fickle fans wanting the reflected glory. The tragedy is those spunking their money away in this fashion like Geordie Walker of old don't seem to care, it's all about the here and now bragging rights.

This needs pulling up. Troon have invested in the ground and facilities at Portland Park. Anyone who has been in recent times would know this. Crowds have been increasing as a result. We are also one of the few clubs who can get our games on when there is a little bit of rain due to the great work done by the grounds keeping staff. There far too much mud being slung here with very little knowledge of what is actually happening at the club.

Troon are traditionally a smaller club. It takes time to build up a good following. We dont have years of history and the exposure of prolonged success that some clubs are fortunate to have.

As an example my last experience of Clydebank prior to playing them this year was watching them at Hampden Park in a Scottish cup semi final. Your clearly going to have a bigger support ffs.

This needs pulling up. Troon have invested in the ground and facilities at Portland Park. Anyone who has been in recent times would know this. Crowds have been increasing as a result. We are also one of the few clubs who can get our games on when there is a little bit of rain due to the great work done by the grounds keeping staff. There far too much mud being slung here with very little knowledge of what is actually happening at the club.

Troon are traditionally a smaller club. It takes time to build up a good following. We dont have years of history and the exposure of prolonged success that some clubs are fortunate to have.

As an example my last experience of Clydebank prior to playing them this year was watching them at Hampden Park in a Scottish cup semi final. Your clearly going to have a bigger support ffs.

Fair comment. The only way a wee club can become a bigger club is if they make it attractive for their supporters to come to the football and then keep coming back. It can be done.

I took in Troon v Yoker near the end of last season when they were looking like going up and there were about a dozen from Troon and half of them were committee.

You know what , this post like most of yours are of someone who hasn't been brought up with what the junior game is all about .You have senior supporter attitude , you think your above teams like troon , you think they have no right to try and improve as a club. You look at teams who have a few quid and on the face of it get it much easier than you do and you resent it and have cheap shots , it's your way of dealing with it.

What's wrong with improving facilities with cash , whats wrong with investing in a top pitch and players , whats wrong with at least trying to gain more of a support within the local community. Nothing . Troon should be commended in what they are doing not stupid posts like yours above .

Junior football heart and soul has never about crowd figures , it's been about respecting fellow junior supporters at a game weather they are a travelling support of 2 or 22 or 40 or whatever . respecting the fact they are keeping this grade of football alive by supporting their local club.

Oh FFS!

Here's your bloody "invested in the ground and facilities at Portland Park" - an antediluvian bloody joke to anyone that was born outside of the 1960s.

troon-gallery-1009354.jpg

troon-gallery-1009348.jpg

Look at it for crying out loud! THAT'S investment? THAT'S facilities? Come into the real world and stop kidding yourselves.

THIS is investment and facilities:

40095946.jpg

Club?

Four Crosses, a tuppence hapenny club in the arse end of the Welsh Pyramid from a two men and a dog village a fraction the size of Troon and with a fraction of the resouces.

Modern equipment, modern facilities appealing to modern 21st century people - not something that looks fresh from the pages of Oor Wullie.

Look to what is going on at Benburb - that is investment in modernity, not token efforts whilst the majority is squandered on the best players money can buy (until they piss off elsewhere for more money).

You want more locals to come to games? Don't take the piss out of their expectations.

Oh FFS!

Here's your bloody "invested in the ground and facilities at Portland Park" - an antediluvian bloody joke to anyone that was born outside of the 1960s.

troon-gallery-1009354.jpg

troon-gallery-1009348.jpg

Look at it for crying out loud! THAT'S investment? THAT'S facilities? Come into the real world and stop kidding yourselves.

THIS is investment and facilities:

40095946.jpg

Club?

Four Crosses, a tuppence hapenny club in the arse end of the Welsh Pyramid from a two men and a dog village a fraction the size of Troon and with a fraction of the resouces.

Modern equipment, modern facilities appealing to modern 21st century people - not something that looks fresh from the pages of Oor Wullie.

Look to what is going on at Benburb - that is investment in modernity, not token efforts whilst the majority is squandered on the best players money can buy (until they piss off elsewhere for more money).

You want more locals to come to games? Don't take the piss out of their expectations.

Nah Troon's has got character,that's just a tin shed with green plastic seats.You could put one of them at an allotment and watch the carrots grow.

I quite like what Troon have done to improve the surroundings at Portland Park. Having been there only a few weeks ago, I noticed that the far side now has proper terracing rather than grass to stand on. Rome wasn't built in a day and the improvements are encouraging - much like it took Beith a number of years to get Bellsdale to its current state.

My only gripe with Troon, like many others, is the lack of cover. There are only a handful of teams who have adequate cover for both home and away fans and rather than spunking all the money on players like Meadow and Hurlford (I'm not including Troon in this), it would be better to do a Talbot or Beith and build an extra stand or two.

Nah Troon's has got character,that's just a tin shed with green plastic seats.You could put one of them at an allotment and watch the carrots grow.

Yeah, Troon's got so much character their ground would be all but empty were it not for the away fans.

The point I was illustrating (and nice to see you skipped past the mention of what Benburb are doing) is that what some of you guys seem to think is "cutting edge" is laughably hick in the eyes of today's paying punter, & that's primarily what's keeping them away.

So long as clubs have this mindset of "money on players first, the fans can take it or leave, cuz that's the Junior way lik' ma faither 'un his faither afore him." clubs are doomed one by one to linger in perpetual obscurity in their local communities until the day the land is sold for yet another Lego brick private housing cul-de-sac.

There are only a handful of teams who have adequate cover for both home and away fans and rather than spunking all the money on players like Meadow and Hurlford (I'm not including Troon in this),.

Don't know where ur getting your info from mate but should really get some knowledge before 'spunking' your views about.

I quite like what Troon have done to improve the surroundings at Portland Park. Having been there only a few weeks ago, I noticed that the far side now has proper terracing rather than grass to stand on. Rome wasn't built in a day and the improvements are encouraging - much like it took Beith a number of years to get Bellsdale to its current state.

My only gripe with Troon, like many others, is the lack of cover. There are only a handful of teams who have adequate cover for both home and away fans and rather than spunking all the money on players like Meadow and Hurlford (I'm not including Troon in this), it would be better to do a Talbot or Beith and build an extra stand or two.

there's cover for 700 at meadow park.

Don't know where ur getting your info from mate but should really get some knowledge before 'spunking' your views about.

So the numerous signings from Glenafton, Masterton, Kean, McGregor etc all cost nothing? It's well documented that Hurlford have splashed the cash.

I've not been at Hurlford since the revolution started, and it does seem from videos that the playing surface may well have improved, but I've yet to see major evidence of improvements to Blair Park. I will however take back my "spunked all the money" comment and change it to "spunked a lot of money" on players. I look forward to visiting Blair Park to see what improvements have been made. Although I do remember that this was a ground that I turned up at only for the game to be postponed 10mins before kick off because they couldn't even line the pitch properly (the 18 yard box was the wrong size and half the pitch wasn't lined).

there's cover for 700 at meadow park.

Yip.

But a wee enclosure at the other side for visiting fans wouldn't have cost much during the extravagant years.

Visiting fans maybe don't want to sit in the stand with home fans. There have been problems in the same stand before when this has happened.

Kean, Masty, McGregor, all signed out of contract, So keep trying pal.

Why is it that only in junior football are people like yourself terrified to admit that your club is spending big dough ?

Whether it be on transfer fees at times, signing on fees or large wages why the reluctance to admit it?

Strange behaviour .

Dunno how much signing on fees(if any) or how much in wages Hurlford pay but they certainly don't go signing any player that has a half decent game against them like Medea did and Buffs before them.

Have done work to entrance and dressing room area at Blair Pk but tbh there is no much room to be building a 700 seated stand,have always liked watching me fitba there and the fans,especially the older ones are a bit of a laugh and do remember when they were no having it so good.

You know what , this post like most of yours are of someone who hasn't been brought up with what the junior game is all about .You have senior supporter attitude , you think your above teams like troon , you think they have no right to try and improve as a club. You look at teams who have a few quid and on the face of it get it much easier than you do and you resent it and have cheap shots , it's your way of dealing with it.

What's wrong with improving facilities with cash , whats wrong with investing in a top pitch and players , whats wrong with at least trying to gain more of a support within the local community. Nothing . Troon should be commended in what they are doing not stupid posts like yours above .

Junior football heart and soul has never about crowd figures , it's been about respecting fellow junior supporters at a game weather they are a travelling support of 2 or 22 or 40 or whatever . respecting the fact they are keeping this grade of football alive by supporting their local clu

Typical RRG pish.

Always banging on about a senior mentality and superior attitude.

I`ve already said that if someone wants to throw money at a Junior club then its up to them!

The problem I have with some,mainly Ayrshire clubs is their mythical supports.

I do respect the hard working people at clubs and the few hardy souls that troop along week in week out.

What I`m not having is that there is some kind of upsurge in support for these clubs and the ludicrous reluctance to admit that they are watched by mainly committee men only.

Why do people feel the need to lie about how many people go to their games? Where does it come from?

You bang on about how it doesn't matter if there`s 2,22 or 40 of a support,then why lie about how many go?

Yip.

But a wee enclosure at the other side for visiting fans wouldn't have cost much during the extravagant years.

Visiting fans maybe don't want to sit in the stand with home fans. There have been problems in the same stand before when this has happened.

you'll only get trouble at meadow park if you go looking for it. Absolutely no need to provide more cover. 700 is more than enough.

Archived