Hypothetical - Ayrshire/Central leagues

glensmad

The major advances of a "Sweet 16" for your leagues set up:

1. No tedious byes in the cups, easy set up for draws.

2. You can have leagues with 3 or 4 potentially relegated (or better still, one or two auto relegations/promotions and two places via play offs) yet still enough safety space for clubs wishing to rebuild and blood new players without fear of relegation or spending money they haven't got getting players to keep them up.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll state it again for the hard of thinking.

An all-in league set - up has already been proposed and defeated.

Therefore we still have within the WEST REGION a CENTRAL DISTRICT and an AYRSHIRE DISTRICT of the aforementioned Region.

It was a 5 division proposal put forward by the Ants that was defeated, not a 4....or in fact passed then repealed.

Aye we STILL have an ADL and a CDL ffs but they can easily be merged...that was the idea of this in the 1st place everybody in together.The West Region run the ADL and CDL and all the cups... people don't want a return to regionalized leagues apparently... so why do we have the ADL/CDL ?.

Hard of thinking ffs. :)

Anyway, you advocate a top tier of 16. Meaning that there will be 30 league games instead of 22. This will be for the most successful sides in the region who will more than likely be competing in the later rounds of the cups. Don't complain about playing Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Saturday come the end of your utopian vision.

Ahem, it's not utopian in the East. I know you don't like to step much beyond the boundaries of Ayrshire but the world of junior football does actually exist with 16 team leagues already. And there were no recounts. :)

Clubs in the West Junior Superleagues already play 22 or 26 league matches, with 5 sectional cup games (or 4 run over 5 dates) plus KOs.

Going to leagues of 16 and scrapping the sectional cups would mean 3 games more for some/1 fewer for others. Abolish September holidays and you'd be prettymuch bang-on.

Oh, hey, by no means was I suggesting it was likely to happen. Although as we saw, moving to 16s almost passed before, and did so in the East Region.

That said, there are a number of things which would indisputably modernise Junior football while being almost painless, IMO, such as:

- reinstatement

- 2pm kickoffs

- opposition to floodlit matches

- September holidays

- 3rd Saturday in July rule

- fixture lists

- Junior Cup scheduling

- protest system

- fines not suspensions

Aspects such as those, and ground facilities, could be addressed with or without league reorganisation or the pyramid system.

I took in Troon v Yoker near the end of last season when they were looking like going up and there were about a dozen from Troon and half of them were committee.

I was at that game as a neutral. Upstairs in the bar at Yoker was full of Troon supporters singing, "I do like to be beside the seaside" every five minutes. Add them to the numbers outside you're talking at least four times your 'dozen'.

It can be 14 teams if 30 league games is too much which is only 4 more games, but East Region manage fine by starting season earlier and scrapping League Cup. If 14 teams then probably would not have to scrap League Cup if too much of a change and tbf is one of cups with a sponsor. You just start league 2/3 weeks earlier.

It can be 14 teams if 30 league games is too much which is only 4 more games, but East Region manage fine by starting season earlier and scrapping League Cup. If 14 teams then probably would not have to scrap League Cup if too much of a change and tbf is one of cups with a sponsor. You just start league 2/3 weeks earlier.

You have no chance my friend since you are talking sense. Again proposals to start early July playing the sectional cups and getting an income, rather than chasing around for pointless no interest friendly matches. Leaves the road open to start all leagues early August would certainly ease late season congestion.

Alas the powers that be are not interested. Heard it claimed it would interfere with their bowling season.

Oh, hey, by no means was I suggesting it was likely to happen. Although as we saw, moving to 16s almost passed before, and did so in the East Region.

That said, there are a number of things which would indisputably modernise Junior football while being almost painless, IMO, such as:

- reinstatement

- 2pm kickoffs

- opposition to floodlit matches

- September holidays

- 3rd Saturday in July rule

- fixture lists

- Junior Cup scheduling

- protest system

- fines not suspensions

Aspects such as those, and ground facilities, could be addressed with or without league reorganisation or the pyramid system.

All of the above are relevant, but they fall into 2 catagories.

A) Never been contested

B) Been contested and defeated.

If it's A it is because the people running the CLUBS are happy with them.

If it is B it is because the people running the CLUBS are happy with them.

There is no Ayrshire region so really should be no ADL.16-16-16-15 all in leagues.2 up 2 down play offs for 3rds.

The ADL is a sensible approach in west region similar to what east do with their East Region South, East Region North. Like the ADL they are feeder with the way up for progressive clubs.

The main purpouse is to save cash making leagues cater for a region within the region. Think some have missed the point that the ADL is in no way apart from west Region.

A) Never been contested

Spot on, sums up the problems that should be aired at the AGM by delegates since SJFA north, east and west secretaries have turned a blind eye to for past twenty years. They are still living in the 1920 to 1999 time warp.

Invite applications for one junior club. Make 4 leagues of 16. Premier. First. Second. Third. 2 up 2 down. 1 playoff place. No ADL or CDL. All in set up, gives teams new places to visit and more chance to progress. Scrap Ayrshire and central cups. I'll post my other response from other thread here too.

Let junior clubs start pre season friendlies whenever they want to.

Start the season a week earlier. So last week in July. This will allow league cup to remain for early season local derbies. Will allow at least 5 league fixtures to be played in early to mid August and play round 1 of Scottish within this 2 week period making up the 6 fixtures.

Fill August with as many league games as permits and league cup for winners of groups. Round 2 of Scottish early September. Round 3 of Scottish early October.

Have fixtures on a 4 weekly basis continuously. So when game 1 is over put out game 5 etc.

Restart Scottish round 4 start March and have each round, start April, May and so on. Giving maximum crowd potential due to payday just passed.

This will allow clubs a months notice to plan sponsors, programmes, buses etc. Scottish will have less call off chance due to timings of rounds. League and cup games, if required to change, can be done so at shorter notice without as much disruption.

Taken from fixtures thread.

A) Never been contested

Or C) The people running the clubs are scunnered seeing proposals get defeated

Oh FFS!

Here's your bloody "invested in the ground and facilities at Portland Park" - an antediluvian bloody joke to anyone that was born outside of the 1960s.

troon-gallery-1009354.jpg

troon-gallery-1009348.jpg

Look at it for crying out loud! THAT'S investment? THAT'S facilities? Come into the real world and stop kidding yourselves.

THIS is investment and facilities:

40095946.jpg

Club?

Four Crosses, a tuppence hapenny club in the arse end of the Welsh Pyramid from a two men and a dog village a fraction the size of Troon and with a fraction of the resouces.

Modern equipment, modern facilities appealing to modern 21st century people - not something that looks fresh from the pages of Oor Wullie.

Look to what is going on at Benburb - that is investment in modernity, not token efforts whilst the majority is squandered on the best players money can buy (until they piss off elsewhere for more money).

You want more locals to come to games? Don't take the piss out of their expectations.

Sorry to drag this on folks, but I had to reply simply because this buffoon has claimed there's been no investment in the facilities at Troon by using photographs taken BEFORE the refurbishments. :1eye

But yeah, there's been no refurbishments.

Well, unless you count:

• The refurbished changing rooms
  • The newly refurbished lounge and bar
  • The new toilet
  • The railway side terracing
  • New roof on the enclosure
  • Tarmac covering the entire ground

Obviously I wouldn't count them, though. :rolleyes:

Sorry to drag this on folks, but I had to reply simply because this buffoon has claimed there's been no investment in the facilities at Troon by using photographs taken BEFORE the refurbishments. :1eye

But yeah, there's been no refurbishments.

Well, unless you count:

• The refurbished changing rooms
  • The newly refurbished lounge and bar
  • The new toilet
  • The railway side terracing
  • New roof on the enclosure
  • Tarmac covering the entire ground

Obviously I wouldn't count them, though. :rolleyes:

So two refurbishments (ie still looks the same), a new toilet, a dod of terracing (still looks the same, except smarter), tarmac and a new roof on the enclosure (A NEW ROOF!!!!) - and you think that's cutting it?

Seriously?

I read the above and was immediately reminded of the following:

The point still stands - Portland Park, like all too many Junior grounds is an antediluvian joke that acts as a deterrent to those outside of what remains of the Junior fanbase they so desperately need to attact to survive - and the reason so many are like that is because of the lunacy of the Junior set up where clubs are de facto punished for investing in facilities over the best players they can buy.

And before anyone trots out the old "good enough for real Junior fans", those "real" Junior fans are disappearing fast with every Evening Times obituary column.

Archived