Hypothetical - Ayrshire/Central leagues

glensmad

Naw, it was only nine; for what its worth, the manager had walked away that week and the team were at a very low ebb.

You're maybe thinking of the time Kilsyth took ten of Kilbirnie (W of Scot cup Rd 4 18/4/64)

Yip 10 it was, we also lost 14 to Beith ffs at that time...worst time in the clubs history,would have been out the game but for 1 man....we will be forever in debt to him.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the games that most of us see as the "big" games are trips to beith,auchinleck,glenafton,medda and Largs.petershill,aurtherlie,shotts,Neilson ect just don't have the same draw for me.saying that the premier is pretty much an ayrshire league anyway so who knows!!!!

check what,8 ayrshire teams and 4 central in the premier.the last ayrshire league had 7 teams so it's actually got more ayrshire teams than the ayrshire league had!

You commented on the super league being nearly all ayrshire . I was responding to this and trying to ask if you knew the overall history of the west premier league since its inception in 2002/03.

We are now in the 13th year of the league , 7 of those seasons the central teams outnumbered the ayrshire , 4 it was 6/6 , only the last two seasons have ayrshire teams outnumbered central.

Actually in 2005/06 and 2006 / 07 you had 9 central teams and 3 ayrshire ( talbot , cumnock and glenafton ) in the

On 4 occasions a central side has won the league , granted the same team .On 9 occasions a central side have finished 2nd.

Out of 27 sides promoted to the premier 15 have been from the central.

Central league sides have won 13 west of scotland cups in the last 25 years

All these stas / facts can be checked out , doesn't take that long honestly !

Ok off the field a few old central sides have lost some of their fan base and a few social clubs have disappeared but overall i think the central sides have contributed well to the overall west region.

What i am trying to highlight is the contribution old Central based sides have made to the new and improved set up . Sure ayrshire sides have the upper hand the now and have obviously for many many years produced excellent sides / good support and won numerous trophies but let's not underestimate the old central region of football that has contributed more than its fair share in the last 15/20/25 years.

Most Lowland League and Highland League travelling supports barely reach double figures. Is that what you want.

Sneer all you like about them not being "true fans" but you are chasing people away from the game. Just a thought

Most Peterhill and Troon travelling support is non existant, never mind double figures. Let's not even start on the double figures HOME crowds of far too many Junior sides you seem to think make for preferable opposition simply because they're "local".

If Junior clubs had been reliant in any shape or form on away support, 90% of them would have gone bust decades ago. It's a straw man & deep down you know it.

You commented on the super league being nearly all ayrshire . I was responding to this and trying to ask if you knew the overall history of the west premier league since its inception in 2002/03.

We are now in the 13th year of the league , 7 of those seasons the central teams outnumbered the ayrshire , 4 it was 6/6 , only the last two seasons have ayrshire teams outnumbered central.

Actually in 2005/06 and 2006 / 07 you had 9 central teams and 3 ayrshire ( talbot , cumnock and glenafton ) in the

On 4 occasions a central side has won the league , granted the same team .On 9 occasions a central side have finished 2nd.

Out of 27 sides promoted to the premier 15 have been from the central.

Central league sides have won 13 west of scotland cups in the last 25 years

All these stas / facts can be checked out , doesn't take that long honestly !

Ok off the field a few old central sides have lost some of their fan base and a few social clubs have disappeared but overall i think the central sides have contributed well to the overall west region.

What i am trying to highlight is the contribution old Central based sides have made to the new and improved set up . Sure ayrshire sides have the upper hand the now and have obviously for many many years produced excellent sides / good support and won numerous trophies but let's not underestimate the old central region of football that has contributed more than its fair share in the last 15/20/25 years.

im not for one minute saying central teams bring nothing to us.wat I am saying is that we actually now have a bigger number of ayrshire teams in the league now than were in the ayrshire premier league so there isn't really an argument towards going back there.

Seeing as you started off the first season with the unfair advantage of having 8 Central and only 4 Ayrshire clubs in the Super League First Division this is hardly surprising. And to think Central wanted 8-4 in the Premier as well as it considered itself stronger.

Why would you want to go back the way? Expansion to 14 or 16 teams would be the sensible thing for top league and not going back to Ayrshire leagues.

The Glasgow teams in Super Premier currently plus Pollok and Rob Roy all have brung decent supports down to Irvine. Probably better than your Largs / Maybole / Ardeer if went back to District Leagues.

Its far easier to get to Pollok, Arthurlie, Petershill etc than Maybole/New Cumnock etc from Irvine / North Ayrshire so travel time argument does not hold.

It's time travel these lads are more into.

im not for one minute saying central teams bring nothing to us.wat I am saying is that we actually now have a bigger number of ayrshire teams in the league now than were in the ayrshire premier league so there isn't really an argument towards going back there.

It looks like Kilbirnie have proved over the 12/13 years of the Superleague they're not good enough to compete at the top end. A disproportiate number of your fans are pushing this back to the past nonsense.

Why would you want to go back the way? Expansion to 14 or 16 teams would be the sensible thing for top league and not going back to Ayrshire leagues.

The Glasgow teams in Super Premier currently plus Pollok and Rob Roy all have brung decent supports down to Irvine. Probably better than your Largs / Maybole / Ardeer if went back to District Leagues.

Its far easier to get to Pollok, Arthurlie, Petershill etc than Maybole/New Cumnock etc from Irvine / North Ayrshire so travel time argument does not hold.

Excellent post missed it first time around.

Over recent years i would say Cumnocks lowest away support has been at Lanark , Rob Roy , Shotts and Kilbirnie all quite a fair journey from Cumnock . the travel distance does come into it, whither your going to a junior match or like a lot , not bother.

It looks like Kilbirnie have proved over the 12/13 years of the Superleague they're not good enough to compete at the top end. A disproportiate number of your fans are pushing this back to the past nonsense.

Perhaps...but what we have proved is that we can regroup within a short period and return to being competitive at the top level.There can only be one winner,2nd place means nothing as Neilston found out.

All this disproportionate number of fans{all 3 of them) care about is the survival of the club and this East/West superleague is not going to be helpful towards that neither is games vs Lanark,Vale of Clyde,Cumbernauld,Maryhill or the disproportionate number of Central clubs that have done nothing to helping achieve the financial future of our club.

Life can get in the way of footy. People move away from their towns for whatever reasons, marriage usually being one of them.

Then the kids come along, the wife may work weekends to keep child minding costs down so the weans can get a bit more luxury.

The guy may have to watch the baby/youngsters, and therefore can't make the games.

Then there's the influx of outsiders, many of whom have no roots in the towns concerned and no allegiance to the team. I know this is not always the case, but it must have a bearing on the numbers.

Then there's the grim reaper!

It's not quite as simplistic as some would suggest on here, in an ideal world everyone would have great crowds, but it's far from an ideal world.

Life can get in the way of footy. People move away from their towns for whatever reasons, marriage usually being one of them.

Then the kids come along, the wife may work weekends to keep child minding costs down so the weans can get a bit more luxury.

The guy may have to watch the baby/youngsters, and therefore can't make the games.

Then there's the influx of outsiders, many of whom have no roots in the towns concerned and no allegiance to the team. I know this is not always the case, but it must have a bearing on the numbers.

Then there's the grim reaper!

It's not quite as simplistic as some would suggest on here, in an ideal world everyone would have great crowds, but it's far from an ideal world.

A brilliant post, in my opinion.

Plus transport is much easier now, much easier to get about to the many other attractions on a Saturday afternoon than it used to be when certainly my team used to pack out Southcroft Park on a Saturday afternoon.

Your comment re Troon support is way off the mark.

Think you will find that Troon bring 40+ depending on where it is to away games.

And this is for a team in the top league in the top district. I can't help but be depressed by that. Sorry

the present super 1st is far too tight with 4 clubs going down you cant get a chance at staying up without a mega budget. there needs to be 1 of 2 things, either expand the super 1st or go back to 1 super league with 2 up and 2 down. folk say about travelling but since the superleagues started the m77, m80 and a lot of other roads built/improved so ayrshire is closer to glasgow than before

Most Peterhill and Troon travelling support is non existant, never mind double figures. Let's not even start on the double figures HOME crowds of far too many Junior sides you seem to think make for preferable opposition simply because they're "local".

If Junior clubs had been reliant in any shape or form on away support, 90% of them would have gone bust decades ago. It's a straw man & deep down you know it.

To which:

Your comment re Troon support is way off the mark.

Think you will find that Troon bring 40+ depending on where it is to away games.

Translated: a whole forty if it's local enough for them. ie another Ayrshire side, or if they're really feeling adventurous, Arthurlie.

And this is for a team in the top league in the top district. I can't help but be depressed by that. Sorry

Quite

I took in Troon v Yoker near the end of last season when they were looking like going up and there were about a dozen from Troon and half of them were committee.

,,,aaaaaand QED.

If there's one argument for going back to the "good old days", crowds sure ain't it.

The Junior world is irrevocably split between its very own "upper class" and the rest, and its time they took the natural progression to either a proper league of their own to keep up with events elsewhere or threw their lot in with the LL and cried over losing their Junior Cup status all the way to the bank with their Scottish Cup lolly. This nonsense cannot continue forever.

No you didnt . Troon are a up and coming club you are on the slide

I certainly did my friend and the only bus present was the team bus.

There were as many Bankies fans at the game as Troon fans because we had no game that day!

Troon are on the up because someone is putting money in.

Its a bit like Hurlford,money is going in and paying players but nobody is going to watch them.

I find it all a bit bemusing when this happens in the Juniors as it can only ever be a short term thing.

Its not sustainable and WILL end,so whats the point?

Archived