Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

2 hours ago, Sixtyten said:

Part of me can hardly wait for this final episode, but I'm also slightly bereft knowing it's the end.

I mean, what else out there is as good?

Nothing.

As an overall body of work, there's nothing in TV history thst I've ever seen that touches the Breaking Bad story and now we're at the end, it's time for people to stop comparing which of BB/BCS is better and to start treating it as one complete, fleshed out story in my opinion.

I also think it's sadly time to put this entire creation, universe, whatever we call it, to bed now. I'm not sure I'd like a prequel centred on Gustavo as has been rumoured but then I didn't particularly want one on Saul either but the issue with that is to do so, you'd have to step away from Giancarlo Esposito as Gus and that for me is a no no.

Unfortunately, we're now at the end of this as a story I feel. All ends are going to be tied off. Guys like Esposito and Jonathan Banks are getting older now that they can't feasibly play young versions of their characters from decades past (BCS was becoming a stretch) and obviously can't revisit the characters beyond events of Breaking Bad.

What's left then really? The new adventures of Skyler and Walter Junior? Following Marie about wondering who she's going to be pain in the arse to now that Hank is gone?

Folk have mentioned a Kim Wexler spinoff and although I love her character (Rhea Seehorn has been the star turn of BCS, hands down) you need to ask to what end really would it even work? If Jimmy dies or goes to jail forever, what does she have left as a purpose in a narrative sense that's worth a series of it's own? Chuck and Howard are dead, she has no family or really other people to tie her back to a story, so what is there? Her own redemption? Working to get Jimmy out of jail if he does go that way? 

I can't see how they flesh this out more or even need to, sadly.

Well that's it over and I'll say nothing about it until you've all had a chance to watch it...

Other than...we are so lucky in the UK to be able to watch it ad-free on Netflix. There were EIGHT advert breaks in the 90  minute slot and if I had to face that in every episode I'd have given up pretty quickly.

AMC showed the finale twice back to back last night and I ended up watching both. I think it took me to the second viewing, once I'd got a little bit beyond the sense of "well, what am I supposed to do now on Monday nights?" to appreciate how in keeping with the rest of the show that final episode really was.

Spoiler

Loved it that Jimmy got his Sandpiper break by dumpster surfing and then ends up getting caught in a dumpster.

That's Saul, folks.

Spoiler

Probably the deserved ending for Saul.  My point about the lesser sentencing was proven right to a certain extent, the DA were willing to accept 7 years on account that he didn't cook meth, sell meth or kill anyone and just laundered money in fear of being murdered.  But him taking the higher ground and admitting he knew all about it and was a part of it was the right thing to do morally.

Can't believe its over.

I do kinda want a Gus Fring prequel now but if it doesn't happen then I'll be happy with how the BCS/BB universe ended.

I don't like the idea of a Kim prequel. How many storylines could there be about Kim before she met Jimmy? She only properly "broke bad" during BCS.
Gus has obviously been a massive nutjob for yonks. There's many storylines that could come from his side.

Might be time to do a full runthrough of BCS --> BB --> El Camino --> Last few episodes of BCS.

Nah leave as it is.  We don't need any more prequels.  As someone said, Banks is mid 70s and Esposito mid 60s, it would look daft going back 15-20 years for a prequel now.  Would look as iffy as Aaron Paul reprising Jesse in 2022 to play him in 2008-2009.

Brilliant. Still digesting it so will probably write more later but immediate snippet thoughts

Marie's eulogy of Hank was funny, painting him as a great guy when we know he was very flawed. How can you sum the guy up and not mention the rocks! 

Jimmy/Saul in black & white without the Gene mask/moustache was weird! 

Thought we were going to get Skyler and Walt Jr cameo after Marie popped up, less is more though here and this show has never layed the nostalgia on too thick so was happy with capping it at Marie.

Odenkirk was sublime wasn't he, what a performance 

Just generally so happy that they didn't f**k the ending up as so many shows do, just a terrific job wrapping things up for me

The last line was perfect, it was like the perfect closing sentence in a great novel. Was really hoping there wasn't going to be anymore fluff dialogue from the guard or anything on the flowing scene as he accompanied Kim out which would have ruined it. Good job 

The post-credit indent on AMC suggests he gets his move to a cushier jail in the end. Though he seems to be doing ok as Saul in the "Alcatraz of the North" when we leave him.

Edited by Christophe

Nah leave as it is.  We don't need any more prequels.  As someone said, Banks is mid 70s and Esposito mid 60s, it would look daft going back 15-20 years for a prequel now.  Would look as iffy as Aaron Paul reprising Jesse in 2022 to play him in 2008-2009.

Espositio and Gilligan said something about the possibility of a mini series but they weren't talking in terms of absolute certainties. They don't seem put off by mentions of keeping it going though. Perhaps partly due to the $$$.

Gus is probably the only one who could pull it off and not have the time/age gap be a significant factor imo.

On 16/08/2022 at 13:38, Christophe said:

Hide contents

The post-credit indent on AMC suggests he gets his move to a cushier jail in the end. Though he seems to be doing ok as Saul in the "Alcatraz of the North" when we leave him.

I was obviously too tired at 345am to notice this but just watched it again there.

Spoiler

BCDC...Bernalillo County Detention Centre

By the way, that's not on the UK Netflix version, neither is the goodbye messages from the cast and writers.

Edited by Arch Stanton

In BCS and BB we have without doubt, one of the greatest shows in television history.  A masterpiece.

I'm not sure how I expected it to go, but seeing Saul shipped off to prison for the rest of his days is a truly fitting end.