chester

invergowrie arab

I've always found it a bit dull but I've only been for shopping during the day from North Wales. Liverpool's not far, cracking place with loads of good pubs in a compact centre. About 40 minutes by train.

Chester sits in the "interesting" rather ham "exciting" bracket. More suited to persons of my vintage rather than lads.

I'm up for a walk round city walls and seeing some Roman shit so that's fine for me in the morning then I'll go to the game and then out at night. Pub is a pub anywhere.

Highlights seem to be the cathedral, various Roman stuff, or a zoo visit. Or you could spend some time pissing about on a boat.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Chester

Or you could just get wankered at the horses, sounds like a more stag do type thing to do!

Edit: just read the post saying there's no horses that day so just get drunk! One annoying thing with Chester is virtually all the buildings in the city centre look like pubs but very few of them actually are.

I haven't. Was it good? I've considered Chester as a possible weekend away with the missus destination. She likes zoos...

To be honest with you, I went there with primary school, aged 11, so that would be 18 years ago. I don't remember much about the place, just recall an elephant spraying water out of it's truck at some of the girls in my class.

Edit - the elephant sprayed water out of it's trunk, not truck. Elephants can't drive.

I worked down there for a few months in 2013, only stayed over a couple of the weekends though.

It's a pretty compact (or just small) town so pretty easy to walk around. It's good in the summer as lots of al fresco drinking places, it is quite picturesque place and a day at the races is good, but in the winter and with no races then maybe not so good. Agree that walking round the walls in the morning then the football is probably the best way to pass the day

For a stag do, you might want to look at Hickory's smokehouse which does (or used to) one of these "eat a massive steak / ridiculously hot chicken wings and get them free" challenges.

Telford's warehouse is pretty decent for a night out as I recall.

I'm going for a weekend in March. We're going out the Friday, then getting the train to Bangor Saturday morning for the races, then back to Chester at night for Saturday night. It's only half an hour train to Bangor, so not too bad, worth checking the race calendar.

Archived