When Cheaper Foods Taste Better Than The Original

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The value brands have really upped their game in the past ten years or so. Most of the cheapo stuff used to be just for the desperate, but I've found myself changing to cheaper versions for reasons of taste.

Lidl have a horrible tendency to change the recipe of their own-brand stuff, unfortunately. I used to prefer their Diet Irn-Bru to the Barrs stuff, but they switched recipe (New & Improved!) about five years ago, and now it tastes like the normal chemical mess you get from the cheap diet sodas. There have been plenty of other examples over the years, sadly.

Things to avoid: Lidl's cheap digestive biscuits have a hint of vomit; I shit you not. Their own brand Beef & Tomato pot noodles have a strong taste of vomit (or did when I last tried one a few years ago), so much so that I can't understand why people buy them.

People who buy bottled water, aren't idiots. It's been about ten years since I've drank tap water. On the very rare occasion that I do drink it, its rank rotten. It just tastes like pure chemicals. I am by no means a healthy eater or paranoid about consuming things, but tap water? May as well drink some aldi own - brand bleach..

Psycho patter.

Fixed that for you

In Southern England most tap water is passed by at least 7 experts.

When we lived down there our dog would not drink tap water, he drank out of our pond or rain water bowl.

Proud to be a cripto free eejit.

PS ..........On occasions you can taste the bleach in our tap water and we live in the country 2 miles from the reservoir.

Archived