World Famous Dundee United v Celtic, LC Final 15th March

banana

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May, Russell, Robertson, Gauld…but no Balde, Pukki, Scepovic.

One of Lennon's biggest failings IMO. We should always look at Scotland first - it's ironic that it took a foreign manager to change that

The "what if" cup final.

( what if we still had GMS/Armstrong , what if ciftic was playing etc etc )

To be fair I had fairly low expectations that went further south when we went down to 10 men. Not a lot you can do against any reasonably well organised side with 10, never mind Celtic.

I was much more raging at last years defeat in the Scottish cup as we did have those players and they never turned up. At least the lads out there put in a decent shift. It wasn't down to player effort.

There was a game plan that was working to an extent but Dillon going off injured , and then us losing a goal screwed it up. ( what if erskine had come on?)

The game plan for Wednesday will have to be play the young/creative ball players as most of the lads from today will be too fucked after putting in that type of shift last week and today.

Thought the united support was great today. Much better than the cup final last year as well.

Was the dow penalty actually a penalty?

I can't even remember* our penalty shout which says how convinced I was about it's merits.

Anyway I have little to add to what has already been said about today. Well done Celtic, can't argue in the slightest about the result. You were deserved winners.

McNamara had a shocker, really negative game plan and starting line up and once we went behind he had to make changes but didn't. Once we went 1-0 down we needed to shake things up and we especially didn't need both McGowan and Dillon on at the same time. The fact we made no changes at half time when we had to go at Celtic is a big black mark against McNamara.

No arguments about Dillon's red card. I had a horrible feeling that I was shouting and protesting just for the sake of it rather than because there was any chance Dillon had been hard done by, and the replay I caught whilst passing a pub on the way back to the car confirmed it. It wasn't a malicious tackle in my opinion as he's not the sort of person who would try to hurt another player, but it was badly timed and he properly caught Izaguirre so he had to go.

If we were going to try soak up a lot of pressure and then poach a goal from a set piece then we had to try get good deliveries in the box which we were miserable at. The worst point for me was right at the start of the second half, in front of the United fans, we got a corner and despite having all our big targets up in the box, Dixon plays it short to Dow who passes it back again and now under pressure by two onrushing Celtic players, Dixon ballons to no one in particular and it's quickly cleared away.

It's just disappointing that a couple of years ago in the semi-final against Celtic McNamara placed his faith in Gauld and Souttar despite having Gardyne** and Armstrong as options and set us out to have a go at Celtic and we came away with an ultimately disappointing result but our performance suggested cause for optimism in the future. Today he doesn't place his faith in any of the youngsters and sets us up to shitfest.

*And it's not because I was particularly drunk either. Honest!

** I know not a great option but he was an easier/safer choice than Gauld that day.

Not much else to add/say really. Not one of the most memorable games but first cup of the season's always great. Good performance, hopefully get a win on Wednesday and on our way to the next one

Probably already been asked but, will Dillon be suspended for Wednesday or will the suspension carry over to next years League Cup?

Can't add any more to what has already been said really. Both teams were poor going forward but we were never going to create anything with the team we started with.

We seem to be going backwards at the moment and so does the manager. Will be interesting to see how he reacts for the next game - my guess is he will change absolutely every aspect of the team again and try a different experiment.

Misery compounded by the bus somehow taking 3 hours to get back from Hampden. Someone posted about hold-ups at Perth at 7pm - we may have just been leaving Glasgow at that point in time.

Well... football capitalism is unfair, I guess.

Folk can still complain about it though. Especially anti-establishment rebels like... all good Celtic fans... er...

Seriously, I'd be all for a rule that says one, bigger club, can't raid another club from the same league mid-season simply due to power of wealth. This would be as true of Hearts trying to poach a good player from Ross County, say as would be of Celtic. Though, we all know we're not gonna see first-place Hearts simply buy players from Ross County breathing down their neck in 2nd or third.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic..

There is something which prevents it, it's called a contract. No matter what your tabloid of choice says Dundee Utd were not 'raided', they chose to sell 2 players for what they perceived to be their own benefit. You can disagree with your own club's decision to do that, but for Dundee Utd of all clubs to complain about football capitalism is incredible given how many players you've poached off smaller teams due to your comparative wealth to League One/Two sides, and how well you've done out of this system.

From the Juniors to Real Madrid there is a food chain, if you use your wealth to take players from Queens Park then you can't feel annoyed at Celtic doing the same to you. Dundee Utd are playing the current system perfectly anyway, you'd be mad to want it changed given how well you've done out of it in the last 5 years.

I've never really been convinced by McNamara. He always comes across as really quiet, dour and pretty uninspiring, even if that's true it obviously doesn't mean that he can't be a good manager, but I always feel he seems very un-manager like. The way that Archibald carried on getting the results McNamara got at Thistle and got them promoted suggests that what he was doing there wasn't anything special and was more down to the players he had at the time and the poorness of the league (Morton finishing 2nd and getting relegated the next season...). And at Dundee Utd he seems to have done okay, but then he's had players that most teams in the league would be desperate for. Given the collapse of Hearts, Hibs and Rangers there was a real window in the last 2 or 3 years to achieve something - particularly with the players he had - and it's all kind of passed without anything happening. That's my view from the outside anyway, not sure what the general opinion of Utd fans is.

And at Dundee Utd he seems to have done okay, but then he's had players that most teams in the league would be desperate for. Given the collapse of Hearts, Hibs and Rangers there was a real window in the last 2 or 3 years to achieve something - particularly with the players he had - and it's all kind of passed without anything happening. That's my view from the outside anyway, not sure what the general opinion of Utd fans is.

I'd agree with that generally, BUT, McNamara buys into the way we want to run the club. Promote youth, bring in kids with potential and sell them on etc

He has also been pretty good at identifying players to bring in. Obviously I hate him for Paton, but Ciftci and Robertson defuse some of that anger.

Tactically, he appears woeful, but I'll stick by him for now, no matter how much he frustrates me.

Ronny at least had the decency to lead the team out in the suit before changing into the jacket.

Jackie on the other hand....

He's likely to be your next manager. I'd get used to that. And if yous poach Hartley... Well you're in for a scare.

He's likely to be your next manager. I'd get used to that. And if yous poach Hartley... Well you're in for a scare.

No chance.

Rather have Hartley, despite the weight gain programme he's been on he's clearly still the better looking one, and his beard growing skills have always been impressive

Archived