Ross County vs Motherwell - The Big One

I'd go with that team too. If Sernas and De Vita are still apparently not full fitness yet, and play on Saturday, it makes you wonder why he didn't give them game time the other day? Especially when the likes of Curran look more and more hopelessly out of there depth whenever I see him.

Oh and Woods can get to f**k. He's an absolute waste of a jersey.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would Sernas play as a central midfielder? He's a forward that can play wide.

What is Dingwall's correct side? He's a player that likes to come inside rather than beat a full-back down the outside, he's not a winger at all really. I have no qualms about seeing him on the left so long as there's a player on the right that goes on the outside to balance it out. De Vita is the only guy for that but, on previous form, he's likely to be used as an inverted winger on the left à la Cardle.

Any or all of Sernas, De Vita or Gardyne could come in out of the blue to start. And in a 4-2-3-1 all three could play behind Boyce, but I don't think McIntyre would gamble on all three straight off. Dingwall's got a fight on his hands to keep his place in the team.

I think we're all assuming Boyce keeps his place in the team, but there's no doubt that County missed Jervis's pace against Aberdeen. I so wish Jervis can toughen up to be the player he can be.

Reguero

Fraser Quinn Boyd Reckord

Kiss Palazuelos

Sernas Carey De Vita

Boyce

On paper, that's quite a good team IMO and there's a lot of competition - Dingwall and Gardyne could slot in anywhere in that '3', so if Carey is injured then either could come in. But there's no way that Woods and Irvine would drop out, they're automatic picks, even if Kiss and Palazuelos are a class above.

I don't think County are creative enough to play on the front foot with the 4-3-3 shape, not with the team that has been playing recently. Kiss and Palazuelos could hold the midfield quite capably against Motherwell to afford more chance of goals in the attacking unit.

No idea of the score as, incredibly, Motherwell appear to be nearly as bad as us.

I imagine it will be a score-draw though. This will likely not be recognised as quite the 'end of our season' result it probably would be, but will instead drag out the excruciating inevitability of us going down, with idiots like myself still hoping Jim gets visited by 3 ghosts in his sleep who explain tactics and player selection to him in a terrifying but beautiful dream.

I'm fairly confident after yet another bad result on Saturday, that Jim and Billy will think "Shit, that didn't work either! We'd better change things up again and see what does work!".

This will likely see 2 or 3 changes, only one of which will make sense, but it will be negated by the 2 or 3 players out of position, and further negated by a rogue player shunted into the first team who hasn't had a first-team run in his proper role in an age and is now out of form and fitness.

All compounded by Jim's favourites playing, despite not being good enough at this level, and despite us having better players in those positions.

Then we'll see three substitutions that make things even worse (admittedly they improved things against Caley, I'm of the mood that was by accident rather than design).

Or, the 3 ghosts will have visited by now, so we'll see the best 11 players out of our fairly decent squad (for this level) played in the right positions, and that will have been worked on all week so they look well drilled.

Happy Valentines Day Xxo

No doubt from our perspective, absolutely must win game. We've managed to keep our head above the choppy waves of the playoff waterline solely down to County and St Mirren being even worse than we are.

St Mirren have picked up some points and form, we're still shit. Three points and zero excuses.

Reguero

Fraser Quinn Boyd Reckord

Kiss Palazuelos

Dingwall Gardyne Carey

Boyce

Similar to others, I'd love to see a 4-2-3-1.

4-3-3 isnt working for our players, as hamstrung as it is by out of position players, and players that aren't performing well enough.

As others have said, the 3 behind Boyce are fairly interchangeable with most of those waiting in the wings, my only concern would be who is most match-fit.

The most important thing is that those 6 players forming the back 4 and the sitting midfield 2 provide the best platform for the front players to play from. As long as the front players are our best footballers (not the hardest working) and are all fit.

Toss a coin for Brown or Reguero. One keeps possession better, the other less likely to throw in a howler.

This is a 'must not lose' game for both sides and more of a 'must win' for County rather than Motherwell because of their position, but a win for Motherwell would be crucial here as it will give us confidence boost especially with the new acquisitions and of course increase our cushion over Ross County. If we lose this game then we are going down in my opinion.

Anyway, an optimistic prediction from me for a 2-1 Motherwell win in a nervy match.

To be honest BB, I just don't know anymore. :(

To think that the pre-season friendly at Clach ended like this:

Reguero

Fenlon Saunders Boyd Celcer

Balk

Quinn Brittain

Arquin Boyce de Leeuw

County have made, what, 15 signings since the end of pre-season (after Kiss and Carey re-signed)?

Upgrade the defence to what we have now, put Kiss as the holder and have Brittain next to Carey in midfield.

Saunders first change for defence, Rocco for midfield, Dingwall and Jervis for up front.

Hindsight (with no injuries or personal problems) is a wonderful thing.

I'm planning on going to this. Never been to the Global Energy Stadium before. What's the script with transport? Am I best getting a fans bus or can I get the train?

You have to change trains at Inverness and you might have to wait a while for the next train back to Inverness, but it's doable. The bus would be easier.

Hindsight (with no injuries or personal problems) is a wonderful thing.

Apologies BB, having a 'senior moment', what do you mean by this line?

Just that we had the bones of a good team and only needed to upgrade the defence to what we have now (injuries and personal problems aside).

Probably really obvious to folk, but had a hard weekend :unsure2:

I remember being quite excited about this season at the outset, with my only concerns over the wing-backs. I'd overestimated Dreesen something terrible based on his cv.

Apologies BB, having a 'senior moment', what do you mean by this line?

Just that we had the bones of a good team and only needed to upgrade the defence to what we have now (injuries and personal problems aside).

That's what I mean. It's a gross over-simplification though. Adams insisted that there would be no more summer window signings; there were some bad injuries and players not settling; and McIntyre obviously wanted to put his own stamp on the team.

That's what I mean. It's a gross over-simplification though.

Cheers. Aye, there has been a lot more to it, but I do think it helps show that the squad has never been that far away from being competitive, and that we weren't being too optimistic to think we could get ourselves out of this. May be too late in the day now though.

With hindsight the change in management didn't work. If a new manager had come in with the idea of not losing, parking the bus and taking a bit of time to assess the squad it might have worked. JM wanted to play attacking football from the off and never quite managed it. Injuries, suspensions didn't help but it wasn't the root cause.

We lost the likes DeLeeuw and Balik who would both have strengthened that team on Saturday. Balik showed that he had the potential to be the holding midfielder and I'd have taken him above Woods any day. DeLeeuw v Curran as the substitute? No contest.

It looked like panic to me. New faces arriving, playing, not playing, it was never going to work. Even now does anyone have confidence in team selection?

Still, onwards and upwards. I have no doubt that this squad is capable of staying up, team selection and motivation will decide if they do or not.

With hindsight the change in management didn't work. If a new manager had come in with the idea of not losing, parking the bus and taking a bit of time to assess the squad it might have worked. JM wanted to play attacking football from the off and never quite managed it. Injuries, suspensions didn't help but it wasn't the root cause.

We lost the likes DeLeeuw and Balik who would both have strengthened that team on Saturday. Balik showed that he had the potential to be the holding midfielder and I'd have taken him above Woods any day. DeLeeuw v Curran as the substitute? No contest.

It looked like panic to me. New faces arriving, playing, not playing, it was never going to work. Even now does anyone have confidence in team selection?

Still, onwards and upwards. I have no doubt that this squad is capable of staying up, team selection and motivation will decide if they do or not.

I balk at your spelling of Balk ;)

Totally agree with your last sentence though.

Archived