Stadium Swap

With the ever declining attendances at Ibrox and the costs of running a big empty stadium being unsustainable for such a poorly supported club such as Rangers wouldn't it make more sense for them to either shut up shop and move to Scotstoun and ground share with Glasgow Warriors or even swap grounds with Warriors as I think they could flourish and make most of the big old declining barn what is now Ibrox. Scotstoun would suit Rangers and they could leave the rugby posts up to give Boyd and Miller more of a chance of scoring. I imagine the move would make no difference to Lee McCulloch as he's more at home on a Rugby pitch. A sensible move for Rangers as visiting Ibrox will soon be like visiting many of the other soulless barns in the seaside leagues.

No, the plan is to relocate to Newcastle in the next 5-10 years and rent their training facilities as their new stadium. This will allow the mighty The The Rangers (by this time) to climb rapidly through the English pyramid system and take their rightful place in the EPL as one of the world's wealthiest and best supported football clubs.

With the ever declining attendances at Ibrox and the costs of running a big empty stadium being unsustainable for such a poorly supported club such as Rangers wouldn't it make more sense for them to either shut up shop and move to Scotstoun and ground share with Glasgow Warriors or even swap grounds with Warriors as I think they could flourish and make most of the big old declining barn what is now Ibrox. Scotstoun would suit Rangers and they could leave the rugby posts up to give Boyd and Miller more of a chance of scoring. I imagine the move would make no difference to Lee McCulloch as he's more at home on a Rugby pitch. A sensible move for Rangers as visiting Ibrox will soon be like visiting many of the other soulless barns in the seaside leagues.

Have a greenie just for making me laugh with that bit in bold. :)

No, the plan is to relocate to Newcastle in the next 5-10 years and rent their training facilities as their new stadium. This will allow the mighty The The Rangers (by this time) to climb rapidly through the English pyramid system and take their rightful place in the EPL as one of the world's wealthiest and best supported football clubs.

Would never work. They'd be no different to the current tribute act but it would all fall down around them as soon as the Bears were no longer going to Ibrox. The current 'looks like a duck, quacks like a duck' thing they entirely rely on would be in absolute tatters. That and regularly getting beat off the likes of current League 2 sides who'd probably cruise past Hearts/Hibs just now wouldn't be worth the long trip which many fans see a badge of honour / sign of great loyalty.

Have a greenie just for making me laugh with that bit in bold. :)

It was the same here. :lol:

Would never work. They'd be no different to the current tribute act but it would all fall down around them as soon as the Bears were no longer going to Ibrox. The current 'looks like a duck, quacks like a duck' thing they entirely rely on would be in absolute tatters. That and regularly getting beat off the likes of current League 2 sides who'd probably cruise past Hearts/Hibs just now wouldn't be worth the long trip which many fans see a badge of honour / sign of great loyalty.

I never said it would work.

Many a true moot said in jest.

There was one of those who had predicted doom under Murray/Whyte who was proven correct who did suggest that any phoenix club should restart at Scotstoun, seeing Ibrox as more trouble than its worth (the stadium has a horrific amount of work needing done on it as basic maintenance has seldom been done since the Sevco days began), but the squabbling of the Orcs meant nothing was ever done to take up that option by the Heinz 57 varieties of "Save Rangers" wannabe white knights or "fan unity groups".

By the time any of them did moot it, Glasgow Warriors were there with an exclusive lease.

IIRC, Clydebank had explored the same option, dithered, & the rugger lot beat them to it as well.

Moral of the story: you snooze, you lose.

10 pages. ;)

I've said before. Ground share with Benburb is the way forward. Seriously, if their supporters had any gumption rather than a desire to cling to the past. FC Rangers playing at Scotstoun is viable.

But, but ra history, ra stars, ra peepel?

I've said before. Ground share with Benburb is the way forward. Seriously, if their supporters had any gumption rather than a desire to cling to the past. FC Rangers playing at Scotstoun is viable.

Absolutely true.

When you think that plenty Man United supporters were prepared to pursue such a course, it really begs the question as to why, with so very much more to be disillusioned about, the appetite for Rangers fans doing something similar, apparently just doesn't exist.

Absolutely true. When you think that plenty Man United supporters were prepared to pursue such a course, it really begs the question as to why, with so very much more to be disillusioned about, the appetite for Rangers fans doing something similar, apparently just doesn't exist.

Cracking article on FC United in WSC this month - they're moving out of rented premises (Gigg Lane) to a new stdium, and are continuing to operate sustainably and, so far, pretty successfully.

A mate of mine who's a ST holder at Old Trafford knows quite a few who attend FCM games when they can - a couple of them used to sit near him at OT, but haven't been there this season, as they've enjoyed following "a proper football club" more. Their words, not mine - but it kinda bears out what I said elsewhere earlier, that it's a different experience for those who eschew the gloryhunting.

ETA: What makes it more heartwarming is that Man U:

1. Still exist, and

2. Are still up there and challenging for honours.

Cracking article on FC United in WSC this month - they're moving out of rented premises (Gigg Lane) to a new stdium, and are continuing to operate sustainably and, so far, pretty successfully.

A mate of mine who's a ST holder at Old Trafford knows quite a few who attend FCM games when they can - a couple of them used to sit near him at OT, but haven't been there this season, as they've enjoyed following "a proper football club" more. Their words, not mine - but it kinda bears out what I said elsewhere earlier, that it's a different experience for those who eschew the gloryhunting.

ETA: What makes it more heartwarming is that Man U:

1. Still exist, and

2. Are still up there and challenging for honours.

They moved out of Bury ages ago and have been playing at Curzon Ashton and Stalybridge now and again.

They moved out of Bury ages ago and have been playing at Curzon Ashton and Stalybridge now and again.

True, but in their gypsy-style existence, they've been at various places, including Bury. I used Gigg Lane as an example, as I thought it would be more relatable... my bad.

Like I say, most of my info comes secondhand....I stand corrected. Thank you, Sergeant. :)

True, but in their gypsy-style existence, they've been at various places, including Bury. I used Gigg Lane as an example, as I thought it would be more relatable... my bad.

Like I say, most of my info comes secondhand....I stand corrected. Thank you, Sergeant. :)

I'm a complete anorak...I know!

• 9 months later...

Archived